Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
My daughter was dropped off alone
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:51 pm
I came home from work in time for my daughter's bus and I saw her sitting curled up by my front door freaked out and bawling. Another woman was there with her and trying to calm her down, she said she was there for a few minutes already and stopped because she saw a traumatized little girl crying in the street.

My daughter is 3 years old. Her bus came early and the driver simply dropped her off. There are 2 construction sites within 5 houses of me.

I am freaked out and mad.

Edited for typo

Reality

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:53 pm
Wow!

Did you call up to complain?

Is there a bus monitor on the bus?

Did anyone try to call you?

Wow. That is gross negligence. They should have brought her back to camp.

mom24.7

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:54 pm
Rightfully so. Call the day camp. They should have either called you or taken her back to day camp.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:54 pm
I'm so sorry. That sounds very illegal. What's the plan supposed to be when you're not home?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:55 pm
If you live in Brooklyn it’s a typical occurrence

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:55 pm
Is this the first time you're not home for the bus? What is the schools policy when there's no one waiting for the child? If you can't make it home on time, what's your plan? Do you have arrangements??
That being said, it's very irresponsible of the driver to drop off a child when no one is waiting. The child should be return to school and someone should go pick her up. That's our schools policy.
But if the school see's that the mom is very often not home and she didn't make any arrangements for the child, sometimes they get fed up and the only way the mom will learn her lesson is if they drop off the child alone.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:58 pm
They are usually very responsible. Last year she was taken back to day camp twice over the summer.

I called to complain and the secretary (a high school graduate) was being all proper, "that's so unsafe that shouldn't have happened..." IT DID HAPPEN! THAT'S WHY I'M SO FREAKED OUT!

mom24.7

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:59 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Is this the first time you're not home for the bus? What is the schools policy when there's no one waiting for the child? If you can't make it home on time, what's your plan? Do you have arrangements??
That being said, it's very irresponsible of the driver to drop off a child when no one is waiting. The child should be return to school and someone should go pick her up. That's our schools policy.
But if the school see's that the mom is very often not home and she didn't make any arrangements for the child, sometimes they get fed up and the only way the mom will learn her lesson is if they drop off the child alone.

You don't teach the mom a lesson at the expense of traumatizing a child. Tell the mother the child must be picked up etc.

mom24.7

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They are usually very responsible. Last year she was taken back to day camp twice over the summer.

I called to complain and the secretary (a high school graduate) was being all proper, "that's so unsafe that shouldn't have happened..." IT DID HAPPEN! THAT'S WHY I'M SO FREAKED OUT!

Can you talk to the bus driver in the morning?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:01 pm
Mom24.7, you're totally right. But drivers still do it because they're fed up & mom's have to know that it's happening even if it's not safe. The mom is just as negligent by not being home for her kids and not having other arrangements.

momsrus

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:07 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

Omg that’s sick!

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:08 pm
Omg that's insane! My heart is beating so hard right now.
Get that bus driver fired.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I work in a day camp and I’m often the one who takes those kinds of calls. Obviously they aren’t supposed to let children off the bus alone, but sometimes things can happen. I probably would have told you the same thing as that secretary did because it’s after the fact and I can’t go back in time. But then I would have the camp director give the driver and bus counselor a good hiding do it doesn’t happen again. Hopefully she did that, even if she didn’t tell you.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:13 pm
OP said she came home in time, the bus was a few minutes early.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not to be harsh but isn’t it your responsibility to be home in time for the bus?

mom24.7

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:17 pm
Right if op was late, shouldn't have happened anyway but I hope she learned her lesson. She wrote that the bus was early.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:19 pm
OP said that today the bus was early but she "can't" make it home on time. So OP needs to have a plan and proper arrangements for her daughter.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:20 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Not to be harsh but isn’t it your responsibility to be home in time for the bus?

OP, I think people are thrown off by the typo in your first post. You write "I can't home on time..." it seems clear from the rest that you meant you CAME home on time.

OP Was home on time, the bus came early.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:24 pm
This is the first time I was late. But usually the bus driver or teacher calls.

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:24 pm
The punishment for a mother that isn't home in time for the kids-is for the kid to be taken back to school. Not for the kid to be left alone outside
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers