Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Things you learned that should have been so obvious
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 7:56 am
That after all the years I spent in school, the only things in life I actually remember are things I tried to learn on my own, or things I learned right here on ima! So so many things I didnt know before this!

(Like, whaaaa? Werewolfs?! And antivaxxers?! LOL )

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 8:14 am
aricelli wrote:
I am so embarrassed but after we got married we lived in an old apartment and I really thought that the inside of the toilet was corroded - my dh showed me how easy the “corrosion” disappears with a toilet brush. I cant believe I’m writing this!

On a similar note, when I got married I felt like the worlds greatest balabusta , until my MIL pointed out to me that the exterior of a toilet needs to be cleaned as well. I always thought that cleaning a toilet involved using a toilet brush for the bowl and a wiping down the top and bottom of the seat. I didnt realize the rest needed to be cleaned too until she pointed it out to me.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 8:33 am
Window screens need to be taken off and washed with hot water every so often. Window sills and inside ledges need to be washed down, not just dusted.

Otherwise, the next time you open a window, you are just letting more dust into your house. This is especially true if you live someplace dry and windy.

My dad used to handle all the stuff like that, and I never really paid attention when I was a kid. When I moved to Israel, I was wondering why I had to dust my bookshelves almost daily, and the dust just kept coming!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 8:35 am
Israeli Imamothers taught me that Sano brand cleaners are the very best, especially for hard water deposits in the toilet. They work so fast and easy! (Although super toxic, so be very careful.)

I am so grateful for the tip, it's a major game changers, since scrubbing is very difficult for me.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 9:04 am
sneakermom wrote:
It’s a product you buy in the store. “Fantastic with bleach”

I’m guessing they leave out the ammonia

NO YOU ACTUALLY CREATING MUSTARD GAS.......

ITS VERY DANGEROUS......

mfb

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 9:22 am
imamom7 wrote:
Is this true???? How do people know these things?

Yes this is absolutely true. If you don’t clean the vent first of all the drying will start taking much longer since there is no proper air flow.
But even more important if it gets clogged it can cause a house fire!!
I know 2 people that this happened to.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 9:32 am
cbsp wrote:
I always see this in recipes. Is there a non-asthetic reason? I can only eat onions if they've been fully sautéed

There's a difference between sauteed onions and caramelized onions. It sounds like you like your onions caramelized no matter what the dish. That's fine too.

creditcards

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 9:33 am
How to respond to certain comments people say. People seem to know automatically how to respond. I need to observe how other people respond or react and try to copy. Or ask someone what I was supposed to answer and know for next time.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 9:53 am
thanks wrote:
Noooooooo! Fantastic contains ammonia and should never be mixed with bleach! It creates a toxic vapor that is dangerous to inhale

Fantastik with Bleach doesn't contain ammonia. The fine folks at SC Johnson are well-versed in chemical reactions. (I can't stand the smell of this stuff.)

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 10:01 am
That baby onesies have those flaps on the shoulders so you can roll it down. Pull both hands out one at a time and roll it down so you down have to take it off over the head.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 10:05 am
So many things I can't even think of one off the top of my head. I will share my now favorite reaction to learning something I should have known way sooner sooner: I was Today years old when I found out that... Smile

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 10:14 am
TMI

If u leave something in the sink long enough and let the water run on it... Hiding

Oh! And I can close my fridge with my rear...

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 10:58 am
That baby onesies have those flaps on the shoulders so you can roll it down. Pull both hands out one at a time and roll it down so you down have to take it off over the head.

NO WAYYYY!!! REALLY???
...my poor traumatized kids!

cbsp

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:00 am
ra_mom wrote:
There's a difference between sauteed onions and caramelized onions. It sounds like you like your onions caramelized no matter what the dish. That's fine too.

Nah, my stomach can't handle it if it's not fully cooked - and only in oil. Having it only translucent is not fully sautéed either, that's why I was asking what the difference to the recipe is.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:10 am
You have to clean out your dishwashers filter once in a while. Learned this very recently. TMI

When I was 14 (I was already wearing a bra for 3 years) I learned you don’t try to pull the bra over your head and awkwardly twist yourself into it. You close it around your waist and then you pull the straps over your shoulders. Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:11 am
cbsp wrote:
Nah, my stomach can't handle it if it's not fully cooked - and only in oil. Having it only translucent is not fully sautéed either, that's why I was asking what the difference to the recipe is.

5-7 minutes on high results in a perfect saute for finely diced onions.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:14 am
The tab on top of the soda can is made so it can twist around and hold your straw in place. No wonder it has a hole!

bsy

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:20 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:

NO WAYYYY!!! REALLY???
...my poor traumatized kids!

Only for blowouts, dont worry Smile. Its like an emergency button.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:24 am
SuperWify wrote:
You have to clean out your dishwashers filter once in a while. Learned this very recently. TMI

When I was 14 (I was already wearing a bra for 3 years) I learned you don’t try to pull the bra over your head and awkwardly twist yourself into it. You close it around your waist and then you pull the straps over your shoulders. Very Happy

Wait, what? I put on the straps, lean forward and let myself fall into the cups, and then close the clasp. Is that wrong?

Stars

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:26 am
Not to overfill pots with water when cooking. Like when boiling pasta you don't need 4 inches of water above the pasta. Cooks way faster
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics