Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pls help me not obsess over my kids blistery sunburns!!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:38 am
My kids got badly sunburnt (they wore sunscreen lotion! ) with blisters popping up now. Google is scaring the wits out of me as im reading that sunburns in kids dramatically increases skin cancer rate ch'v. Please help me not obsess and feel guilty about taking them to the pool and getting burnt. Seems like the sunscreen lotion might have expired - it doesn't have any expiration date though.
Anyway, don't know why I'm obsessing over it. Please help me feel better Wink

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:45 am
Apply aloe vera and medicated creams. And have them swim with a rashgaurd.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:46 am
A one time sunburn, even a severe one, is not likely to doom your kids to cancer. Use Google to learn more about sun protection and safety, and less about horrible things that could happen.

There is no need to feel guilty. Hashem runs the world. Now you know what you need to do on your end to protect your kids, and daven that Hashem will do the rest.

Try looking into rash guard shirts and swim leggings, especially if your kids are very fair. Use sunblock that contains zinc oxide, and make sure it gets reapplied every 2 hours if wet, or every 4 hours if they are just playing outside.

Don't let your kids pick at the blisters if you can help it. If they do, keep an eye out for infection (not likely, but it can happen.) Antibiotic cream and a bandaid is fine if there is an open blister that looks raw.

Peeling off layers of dead skin is not harmful (and I actually find it kind of fun. It's like removing a layer of dried white glue. Weird, I know.) As long as it's just dead skin, let the kids peel it.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:50 am
No need to obsess but you do need to take care of their second degree (blisters) burns properly with antibiotic Neosporin applications throughout the day.
Keep them very very well hydrated so they don't get heat exhaustion from what their body has been through.
And institute better sun practices. Make sure they are using at least SPF 35 from a fresh bottle and are reapplying every 2 hours in the sun. Once a bottle of sunscreen has been opened it is only usable for 9 months so make sure to dispose of all sunscreen in April and replenish for the new season.
Refuah Shelaima! All will be good be"h.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:51 am
Check with the doctor if you are seriously concerned.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:55 am
They'll be ok. Just cover up, lather in aloe, and LATHER THEM WITH SUNSCREEN. Multiple times a day!!!! Keep it near your front door so you dont forget on their way out.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 12:41 pm
Also water reflects the sun , along with washing off the sunscreen so you need to be doubly careful at the pool
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics