Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
I yelled at my 2 year old

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 4:28 pm
I'm tired and newly pregnant. It's Friday. The cleaning woman cleaned the whole house (I'm too tired and weak to do it) and left. My 2 yo dumped an entire plate of chicken on the floor and proceeded to pull off my tichel as I'm cleaning the mess. I yelled, "STOP!!"

I feel bad, but now I have to clean up the floor and I'm so. Freaking. Frustrated!!!!!!!!
Vent!!!!

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 4:30 pm
Clean the floor. Give your baby a huge hug.

Have a restful Shabbos.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 4:33 pm
If you just yelled the word stop, it's ok. He has to know that he did something wrong.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 4:55 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
If you just yelled the word stop, it's ok. He has to know that he did something wrong.

I should've said it,not yelled it though

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 4:59 pm
It's ok, you made a mistake. Don't beat yourself up. You're allowed to be firm with a 2 year old.

Stars

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 4:59 pm
You'll do better next time.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 5:28 pm
I think what you did was fine. He won't be scarred by one time you yelling. Jyst don't make it a habit

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 6:12 pm
If you know that you yelled and feel bad at what happened then it’s a good thing already. You’ll be more prepared next time.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 6:18 pm
We all did it. We are all human. Welcome to the club of perfectly imperfect beings.

Aylat

Post Sat, Jul 13 2019, 2:37 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
We all did it. We are all human. Welcome to the club of perfectly imperfect beings.

This.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:19 pm
This is it. I'm sending my 2yo to therapy today. I yelled longer phrases than stop more than once. It looks like he still loves me but early intervention probably cant hurt

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 10:25 pm
I might have to report myself to someone.

I've yelled much worse than just stop. I'm pretty sure I even said "stop being so annoying!" or "quit it already!" or even (shockingly) "just shut up!"

My children are going to need YEARS of therapy to deal with this.

Sorry, I'll quit the sarcasm.

Parents are people. They mess up. Even seriously. Most kids feel entitled to a perfect childhood, so yes, they'll choose to go to therapy because of your mistakes. They'll even get mad about the things you did RIGHT! There's no way to prevent that.

But don't get complacent. YOUR job is to keep trying and keep improving. So today you lost your temper? See if next time you can allow one conscious thought to run through your mind first, maybe a message like "he didn't mean to do that", even if you still end up yelling. Eventually, your patience muscle will be strong enough to survive even a pot of soup dumped on your clean floor, when you have no energy for it. You might even laugh! Of course, this might take you until your grandmother years, but as long as you're going in the right direction, you're doing great. Learn from each mess-up, apologize to whoever you hurt, and try again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics