Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Names that have "light" in them
1  2  Next

kolhanshama

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 7:21 pm
My grandmother's name was Nora (Naomi in Hebrew); we are potentially wanting to name new baby (don't know if boy/girl) after her and want to do something that incorporates the word "light," without doing Nora because it now has a negative connotation in modern Hebrew. I like names that are a little more unusual. No tzadi, chaf, or chet allowed as we feel it's too hard for native English speakers to handle. My cousin already named his daughter Naomi so I feel like I can't use that. And my niece is Ora so that's out too. I don't like Naaman and am lukewarm on Noam. Any other good ideas with light or the Nun-Ayin-Mem shoresh besides these?

Girl:
Elinor
Leora
Meira
Oriya

Boy:
Ori
Meir

Both:
Leor

My favorite of all listed above is Leor and even that one I'm still feeling kind of meh about.

dankbar

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 7:57 pm
Orit
Naama
Zeesy in yiddish is the translation of naomi-sweet
Meirav

dankbar

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 7:57 pm
Orli

heidi

Post Sat, Jul 13 2019, 2:27 pm
יאיר
מאור
נעם- boy or girl and close to Naomi

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Jul 13 2019, 2:40 pm
זיו
קרן
קרני
קורן
נגה
זוהר

jerusalem90

Post Sat, Jul 13 2019, 2:55 pm
Ortal

Elior

Orel

Uriel

WitchKitty

Post Sat, Jul 13 2019, 3:02 pm
http://www.shemli.co.il/hebnam.....ID=22

Enjoy.

Rappel

Post Sat, Jul 13 2019, 3:20 pm
Tair
Meira
Noga

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Jul 13 2019, 9:35 pm
I know a girl named Eliora

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Jul 13 2019, 9:56 pm
DH and I have been looking at baby names and one that came up is תהל. I looked up the meaning and it seems like that vowel generally means to shine although it was unclear if that's the original intention for the meaning of the name. (I'd be glad if anyone can correct me on that.)

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 12:18 am
Devora is honey bee that can be for sweet
Tamar is palm tree that produces sweet dates

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 2:27 am
Shneur

Avinoam

Ora

mimom

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 2:30 am
Neima

salt

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 2:43 am
Noa, for a girl, similar to Nora, but doesn't mean light.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 2:47 am
'Ora' as some previously posted makes the most sense. It's Nora without the first letter and it means light. My close friend named her DD Ora (she was born around purim time - l'yehudim hiyta ora...) and it's the most adorable name!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 11:28 am
If the name is Naomi do Naomi. Or Naomi Ora.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 2:19 pm
Also the name Ohr.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 5:06 pm
kolhanshama wrote:
My grandmother's name was Nora (Naomi in Hebrew); we are potentially wanting to name new baby (don't know if boy/girl) after her and want to do something that incorporates the word "light," without doing Nora because it now has a negative connotation in modern Hebrew. I like names that are a little more unusual. No tzadi, chaf, or chet allowed as we feel it's too hard for native English speakers to handle. My cousin already named his daughter Naomi so I feel like I can't use that. And my niece is Ora so that's out too. I don't like Naaman and am lukewarm on Noam. Any other good ideas with light or the Nun-Ayin-Mem shoresh besides these?

Girl:
Elinor
Leora
Meira
Oriya

Boy:
Ori
Meir

Both:
Leor

My favorite of all listed above is Leor and even that one I'm still feeling kind of meh about.

Orah

essie14

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 1:11 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
DH and I have been looking at baby names and one that came up is תהל. I looked up the meaning and it seems like that vowel generally means to shine although it was unclear if that's the original intention for the meaning of the name. (I'd be glad if anyone can correct me on that.)

PLEASE do not name your daughter Tahel. Yes, it means to shine. It doesn’t work for English speakers.

naomi2

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 10:17 am
If you like the name naomi I think it would be ok to use. It's not like your relative came up with it as an original name, you can both name after your grandmother. Lots of cousins share names because they were named after the same person.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names