Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
BDE Body Of Rabbi Reuven Bauman Z”L Has Been Found
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 5:09 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Of course I feel terrible for the family and community but also for the kid he saved. He will have a heavy guilt for a long time. Sad

He shouldn’t have any guilt. Being a maamin means knowing this came from Hashem, down to the last detail.

smile12345

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 5:12 pm
Can we separate this into two threads?

1. About the niftar
2. About camp safety

I think it's very insensitive to combine the two.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 5:16 pm
May Hashem protect us all.

This story was weighing on me for a few days before I realized that he was my friend's brother, and then it hit me again with 10x the intensity.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 5:17 pm
Cheiny wrote:
He shouldn’t have any guilt. Being a maamin means knowing this came from Hashem, down to the last detail.

That's true. But still very hard for a kid to internalize. I daven that everyone involved has menuchas hanefesh.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 5:21 pm
What I meant to say is teach your kids how to properly swim if they're chas veshalom caught in a rip tide. Sadly, many tragedies can be avoided if people use seichel and don't do dangerous things. The saddest part is, is that we don't learn our lesson and keep doing stupid things.

little neshamala

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 5:25 pm
Squishy wrote:
Teach your kids NOT to swim in riptides. Teach your kids not to swim on closed beaches with red flags. 28 people drowned in riptides so far this year. Even strong swimmers have trouble in riptides.

I actually read (in a text forwarded from someone close to the family) that the boys werent swimming. Apparently they had been walking near the water and 2 of the boys took of their shoes and were wading as they walked when a wave knocked one down and swept him in.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 5:28 pm
The point is that it was a deserted beach not meant for swimming with red flags out.

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 5:53 pm
little neshamala wrote:
I actually read (in a text forwarded from someone close to the family) that the boys werent swimming. Apparently they had been walking near the water and 2 of the boys took of their shoes and were wading as they walked when a wave knocked one down and swept him in.

The boy was boggy boarding. A witness claimed they told them the breach was closed and that the red flags meant dangerous conditions. The witness said they were ignored or not understood.

A third party went in and rescued the boy but was unable to save Rabbi Bauman who also went in to rescue the boy.

PurpleandGold

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 5:55 pm
This story is a lesson in Emunah. Not water safety. Things happen that we CANNOT CONTROL. Hashem orchestrated this story to happen because it needed to happen, in exactly this way.

May klal Yisrael have a nechama, and NO MORE KARBANNOS! Now please, everyone donate what you can to help Rabbi Bauman's family. If we realize what his petirah, their sacrifice, means to our people, it is the least we can do.

I bless us all with safety and good health.

Mevater

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 6:37 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Of course I feel terrible for the family and community but also for the kid he saved. He will have a heavy guilt for a long time. Sad

The kid? Can a kid possibly say Im not going on this trip, its unsafe. He would be considered Chutzpahdik.

Much more so for the Camp director/s who made up the camp curriculum to take kids there. This was his/their decision, no one else's. Im sure he/they didnt mean for this to happen, but.....

I wonder if they went swimming there regularly in previous years, or if this was a new idea.

Mevater

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 6:39 pm
PurpleandGold wrote:
This story is a lesson in Emunah. Not water safety. Things happen that we CANNOT CONTROL.

Its a commandment to stay away from dangerous activities and places, not adequately prepared.Was there a lifeguard? life vests? An ocean with warnings,isnt a pool.

Last edited by Mevater on Sun, Jul 14 2019, 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

octopus

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 6:41 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I’ll just add that if you are a strong swimmer and don’t know what to do, it’s just as bad. I was a lifeguard and intructor of all levels for 15 years.

When I was in the Mediterranean in 2012, the waves were so strong ( not even ripbtides, just strong waves) and I was in trouble. Strong swimmer myself and lifeguard on duty included.

But I knew what to do. I floated until I could stand up. I swam towards shore on an angle. I got back safe and sound. And I KNOW what trouble looks like. I knew by the time I was twelve what trouble looked like. And I live nowhere near an ocean. But we were taught. And I’m a STRONG swimmer. Thank god I got back. It never happened to me until I was 45 years old, but it happened and thank god I remembered what to do. So get your children taught. Learn yourself. And make sure this never happens again.

I didn't want to get involved in this, but you were in a bathing suit. When people go walking on a beach they are fully clothed. You can be the best swimmer but the minute all those clothes get wet, it drags people down. Things can happen to the best swimmers. We are not in control.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 6:59 pm
justmarried:) wrote:
Everyone saying “teach your children....”
Is just saying so because when a tragedy happens they say it wouldn’t happen to me because I am smarter,safer... whatever the reason may be but they are trying to justify it. This tragedy happened because Hashem wanted it to. That’s all. It can happen fo anyone at any time.

When something like this happens, we definitely need to teach appropriate safety lessons.
But we also can't say, and had they only x, y, z then it wouldn't have happened.

Because when these things happen
- they had to happen. It was this person's time. Why in a way that brings added agmas nefesh we don't know but there are appropriate people for the people suffering to turn to, to help them process it. We armchair advisors aren't the ones.
- the person involved had to act that way. S/he lived her/his whole life to get to this point. I think of Avraham Zelmanowitz, zt"l, who rescued a co-worker. Whatever his cheshbonos, he had to make some quick decisions, and it was because of the all the decisions he'd made to that point in life. We can review many such situations and we will see true goodness manifest.
- and when we see this true goodness, it is incumbent on all of us to fill the void left by their absence.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sun, Jul 14 2019, 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 7:02 pm
andrea levy wrote:
If we do learn from this, his death will not be in vain. It’s not at all inappropriate to try to learn from this tragedy. Otherwise it’s just a horrible accident with more coming. And a kid or adult who knows basic water safety would know not to swim where there are red flags and no lifeguard.

But if this is the only lesson learned, we will have missed the point.

sra

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 7:10 pm
BDE. was so incredible how he tried to save his student...

naomi6

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 8:27 pm
The grandfather of one of the talmidim said his einikl gave his savings for tzedaka and asked if he can give up years of his life. Imagine how special yiddishe kinderlach are

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 8:38 pm
Not that Squishy needs me to help explain her position Very Happy but as I interpret it she means there are two aspects to water safety for your children.

The first and most obvious is to teach your child how to swim

However, it is also imperative to teach children the importance of water safety in general. You don't swim in the ocean unless there is a lifeguard and you certainly don't go in the water if anyone warns you there is a danger.

We went to the beach every summer and we kids were all VERY aware that the ocean could be treacherous and was not at all the same thing as swimming in a pool or a lake.

A riptide is dangerous for even an experienced swimmer - what an experienced swimmer may have as an advantage is knowing what you are supposed to do when caught in a riptide. It's the same principle as how an experienced driver knows better how to handle a car when it skids on the ice - e.g. braking is the worse thing one can do.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 8:44 pm
Purpleandgold, this story is absolutely not a lesson in emunah. There's a halacha of venishmartem meod, this is exactly what it means, not to put ourselfs in dangerous situations. We will have to give din v'cheshbon is we don't watch over our bodies the right way. True that it is bashert when a person will die, but we have the bechira to change our bashert. And when we knowingly and willingly put our lives into danger and someone dies by something that was avoidable, that's where our bechira and changing our mazal comes in. We can and should control our actions.
Same goes to eating unhealthy and leading an unhealthy lifestyle, it all falls under v'nishmartem meod.

smile12345

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 8:56 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Purpleandgold, this story is absolutely not a lesson in emunah. There's a halacha of venishmartem meod, this is exactly what it means, not to put ourselfs in dangerous situations. We will have to give din v'cheshbon is we don't watch over our bodies the right way. True that it is bashert when a person will die, but we have the bechira to change our bashert. And when we knowingly and willingly put our lives into danger and someone dies by something that was avoidable, that's where our bechira and changing our mazal comes in. We can and should control our actions.
Same goes to eating unhealthy and leading an unhealthy lifestyle, it all falls under v'nishmartem meod.

Again, please show a little sensitivity.

A wife just lost her husband, young kids their father, students their teacher.

They lost him because he heroically jumped in the water to try and save his student.

Can you please focus on that during this tragic time?

Yes, safety is an important, vital topic. But, now is not the time when the loss is so fresh for so many people.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:01 pm
Sorry, but this is the only way we'll finally maybe learn a lesson and not do stupid and dangerous things. Warning signs are there for a reason. I know it's uncomfortable for people to talk about, but it's important to discuss nevertheless.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics