Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
How can I scare cats out of my yard?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:23 pm
The local feral cats seem to think my garden is their litterbox. My favorite plants got uprooted.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:32 pm
bring in a deer form Monsey?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:33 pm
Get a solar ultrasonic animal repellent.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:34 pm
Get motion detector water sprinklers. They work on everything from squirrels to deer. You can find them at any decent size hardware or garden store, right next to the hoses.

As soon as the critter crosses the laser beam, the sprinklers go on! Surprised The water shuts off when the critter leaves the area. Pretty soon they figure out that they are going to get squirted. Bonus, you get your garden watered at night.

You don't have to be home for it to work, and some of them are powered by little solar cells. They are not even expensive these days, especially compared to the cost of cleaning up your yard and replacing all of your plants.

If you have kids, this is also a great game to play in the summer. Have them try to dash in and out of the sprinkler range without getting wet, or have them try to trigger the sprinkler in order to soak a friend.

Good times for all! Very Happy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078.....c7eef

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:34 pm
We were once successful with pepper. But they were in a very localized place that they were nesting in.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:38 pm
Try planting mint

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:39 pm
Get a dog?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:41 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Get a dog?

That's a little out of my budget.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:54 pm
I have a cat who thinks the clubhouse of my swing set is his home.
Banging metal pot covers and shaking a broom did not help. Throwing a ball at it (don't worry cat lovers, I have terrible aim and can't throw that far) does scare it away temporarily but it comes back.

Following for suggestions.

srbmom

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 7:57 pm
We bought one of these. Hasn't got rid of them completely, but 10 times better than it was

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:13 pm
Open a chinese restaurant. It's their main ingredient..

gamanit

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:28 pm
https://www.wikihow.com/Keep-C.....arden

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:31 pm
Light sensor repellent with great reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/Repelle.....r=8-3

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:45 pm
I've only heard of this but I haven't tried it myself:

https://www.predatorpeestore.com

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:56 pm
I wonder if any of these ideas work on iguanas
Everyday my porch is full of poo

hillary

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 9:54 pm
Every spring when the cats come round, I pour 2 huge bottles of mouthwash all over my porch. Apparent they hate the smell. They never come back. I redo it after a very heavy downpour.

yersp

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 10:43 pm
I have a spray bottle filled with water and any time I see any cats I spray them. First few times I caught them by surprise. Since then they've learned to scan the yard and any little noise I make at the door or by the window, they run away.
I have tried putting silver foil on the chairs, they just sat near it and knew to avoid it

I also read online, buy a large piece of the hard plastic that's used on steps and spread it out with the grips facing out so they're forced to walk on side with the needles.

Best bet for you would be to visit a pet store and ask them for help. They would be able to give you better ideas.

Good Luck!!

Stars

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 10:51 pm
hillary wrote:
Every spring when the cats come round, I pour 2 huge bottles of mouthwash all over my porch. Apparent they hate the smell. They never come back. I redo it after a very heavy downpour.

Cats and racoons both hate the smell of mint.

hillary

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 10:01 am
Unfortunately it doesn't keep away the groundhogs!

gingertop

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 10:02 am
Black pepper worked for me. Sprinkled around garden. Close your eyes when doing it because the wind can blow the pepper into your face.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening