Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Which birthday do you celebrate - English or Hebrew?
1  2  Next

Which birthday do you celebrate?
Hebrew  
 43%  [ 129 ]
English  
 24%  [ 72 ]
Both equally  
 23%  [ 69 ]
Whichever comes first  
 3%  [ 9 ]
Whichever comes last  
 1%  [ 5 ]
Neither  
 3%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 294

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:14 pm
With a birthday coming up, I was wondering what's more prevalent to celebrate in frum circles - English or Hebrew. Feel free to mention if you've changed over time from what you did growing up, your religious affiliation if you feel it's relevant, and varying practices within your family if not everybody has the same custom.

Gerbera

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:17 pm
Grew up celebrating both - my husband's family didn't do anything for birthdays. We celebrate both English and Hebrew although now with 3 of my kids born in July...doing 6 celebrations in one month is getting a bit tiring - but they love it! (After this month is over we are good till December!) I'd say I'm modern Orthodox though that can have many meanings and I grew up Chabad. Always nice to have a reason to celebrate! ☺️

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:23 pm
Which ever birthday comes first that year is the Yom Tov Rishon. Then it's Chol Homoed birthday. The other birthday (Eng or Heb) is Acharon shel birthday

busymother

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:35 pm
We celebrate whichever is more convenient that year.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:38 pm
Both.
But we don't get double the presents. Crying

agreer

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:48 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Which ever birthday comes first that year is the Yom Tov Rishon. Then it's Chol Homoed birthday. The other birthday (Eng or Heb) is Acharon shel birthday

THIS! Brilliant way of explaining it! Applause Applause Applause Not worthy Not worthy Not worthy Happy Birthday cake Heart Heart Heart

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 9:37 pm
English. In my case it’s an easy choice. 13 Adar is usually a fast day. ;-)

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 9:38 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

OMG AMAZING!!!! You win!!!

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 9:45 pm
Growing up, I only noted the Gregorian one. Once I moved to the Shomron, I realized that all of my neighbors and friends use the Jewish calendar to keep track of the days (the only time they look up the Gregorian calendar is to check if the milk is expired), so I started accounting that way too. After a while, it was a natural transition to consider all of our birthdays according to the Jewish calendar.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 10:05 pm
Hebrew because it's Chanukah! My birthday while growing up secular was "the day after Chrissmis" (that's Boxing Day for the cognoscenti). Bummer. Since I discovered that my "real birthday" is Rosh Chodesh Chanukah, I've never looked back!

Anonymous so evil Google won't make it easy for Rubber Ducky hunters to know my birthday. But now you all do.

Debbie

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 10:48 pm
I keep both; I didn't grow up Frum and until I was 25 I didn't know when my Hebrew birthday was.
For the past 29 years I have kept both.
My husband's Hebrew birthday is 17th Tammuz,so any celebrating is done on the Solar one!

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 12:21 am
Only hebrew. I often forget its my english birthday.

etky

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 3:39 am
English.
I didn't even know my Hebrew birthday until it appeared on my teudat zehut when I was 18.
No one in my (MO) circles growing up in the US marked their Hebrew birthday.
Now, of course I know my birthday and those of DH and the kids, but DH and I still celebrate our English ones. Old habits die hard and I also actually really like my English date (7-11).
For the kids we celebrate whichever falls more conveniently that particular year.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 6:25 am
Whaaat?! celebrating birthdays, no way! treif, tamuh!
Just kidding, everybody!

If you like to party, go for both, why not!

If you cant afford two parties, do one in between to cover both!

Also do you celebrate your own birthday? How many birthdays I celebrate, depends on the other people around me, if they remember to celebrate it! Do you buy yourself an ice cream cake, card, balloons or gift?

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 6:45 am
I was born the week before pesach. So I ended up celebrating my Hebrew birthday in school. Bc my English fell out on pesach more often than not.

But this past year after 33 years.. I just found out I might be celebrating the wrong day and maybe I was born after shkia.. so instead of 8th of Nissan... My actual birthday might be the 9th!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 6:52 am
Hebrew. Some of us were born on a Y"T (I became a mother on R"H!) so we associate the whole birthday thing with the Y"T.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 7:46 am
I celebrate any day once the first is there

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 7:51 am
dankbar wrote:
Whaaat?! celebrating birthdays, no way! treif, tamuh!
Just kidding, everybody!

If you like to party, go for both, why not!

If you cant afford two parties, do one in between to cover both!

Also do you celebrate your own birthday? How many birthdays I celebrate, depends on the other people around me, if they remember to celebrate it! Do you buy yourself an ice cream cake, card, balloons or gift?

The lubavitcher Rebbe was very into ppl celebrating birthdays. So we definitely do something small on the day. But for my kids, I make them a party on the nearest sunday that works. (ditto when I was a kid - my birthday party was on nearest sunday or motzei shabbos)

egam

Post Thu, Jul 18 2019, 8:30 am
Ruchel wrote:
I celebrate any day once the first is there

Though I believe you celebrate your French bday, not the English one 😉.

And does being born in the Soviet Union mean that I have Soviet birthday? What happened to it when SSSR fell apart? Did it become Ukrainian? 🤷‍♀️

To answer the question, I do celebrate both, secular and Hebrew.

blessedjmom

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 6:08 am
Both. Definitely. And in between the 2.
The more parties the merrier!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics