Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Hiring a friend

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 11:13 am
A friend of mine is studying for a certain profession. She heard that I was looking for someone in that profession and called and asked me if I could use her. I really want to help her and I know she needs parnassa but I prefer to use someone more experienced, not straight out of school. OTOH I know how hard it is to get out of the trap of can't-get-work-without-experience-can't-get-experience-without-work. How would you handle this?

mommish613

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 11:18 am
It really depends on your unique situation. Doing a chessed to get someone’s business started is great- but not if it will affect your business or if you feel the job won’t be done to the fullest. You might need to be very patient as she is probably going to be learning as she goes along. A lot of things to consider... and hiring friends in general is not so recommended if you’d like to stay friends.

Maybe you can offer an internship type of thing where it’s a trial for a few weeks. But that can be very personal if you don’t end up continuing with her....

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 11:19 am
Honestly I'd probably suck it up and hire her. Unless it was impossible to swing it financially. You have to decide because even if you explain about the experience thing she will feel at least a little hurt.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 11:26 am
It's a hard situation. In my office, there is someone who works here who is the boss's "friend". She does a horrible job but she can't fire her and she doesn't know what to do ...

You need to make sure it will really work for you to hire her.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 11:29 am
Does the position require a certain amount of experience? If so, it is what it is, and she should understand. Don't hire someone with zero experience for a job that requires five years of experience. Anyone who doesn't understand that is not someone you want working for you anyway.

That said, you should absolutely do what you can to help her. You can create an internship (which doesn't have to be paid) in order to give her the experience she needs to break into the field. You can put her in touch with colleagues of yours, put her name forward if you know someone who is looking to fill an entry level position. There's a lot you can do to help her without hiring her to fill a position she's not yet qualified for.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 11:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A friend of mine is studying for a certain profession. She heard that I was looking for someone in that profession and called and asked me if I could use her. I really want to help her and I know she needs parnassa but I prefer to use someone more experienced, not straight out of school. OTOH I know how hard it is to get out of the trap of can't-get-work-without-experience-can't-get-experience-without-work. How would you handle this?

Usually people starting out will charge considerably less and therefore they will have a clientele who cannot pay real professional fees.

You could tell her than you would rather not mix business and friendship; but you'd be happy to talk to her, have her show you (or whatever) her abilities and take a bit of advice for free, and you'd be happy to have you as a reference for future clients and recommend her further.

Not sure what the profession is and what you need so Idk if this will work.

rachelmom1

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 11:33 am
Know someone who was hired as a temp for a few months. There was a specific term and then they had to leave. A family member had a business and wanted to help but not get stuck. Would that work?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 11:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do you have a co-worker who might be able to help her? If so, you can phrase it that the co-workers work is more suitable for her. That way you can help her as well as not potentially stress your relationship by having to employ a friend!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 11:35 am
Just to clarify, I don't own a business and I'm not hiring someone full time. I need someone to perform a certain service. But it's the type of work where experience is important, contacts are important etc.

I think she works (or will be working) for an agency but needs to find her own clients. Maybe I can work with the agency to see if they'll provide supervision and support.

(Don't want to give too much detail in case shes on here.)

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 11:47 am
How high are the stakes? There's a decent chance she will do a poor job, even with the best intentions.

Can you afford to take a hit on whatever service this is? Like, if you have long hair and need a trim, it's ok to take a chance on an inexperienced hairdresser because the service doesn't cost much and you have plenty of hair to spare for a clean-up haircut. But someone with a chin-length bob can't really afford to take chances. Or, if the service is handling your divorce, that's a pretty high stakes endeavor.

Don't hire her unless you can afford the possibility that she fails to perform adequately.

Is it the kind of thing where you can hire someone experienced and ask them to use her on the job?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 11:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just to clarify, I don't own a business and I'm not hiring someone full time. I need someone to perform a certain service. But it's the type of work where experience is important, contacts are important etc.

I think she works (or will be working) for an agency but needs to find her own clients. Maybe I can work with the agency to see if they'll provide supervision and support.

(Don't want to give too much detail in case shes on here.)

Yes, maybe you can help her get a foot in with the agency.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 12:36 pm
Don't mix business and pleasure. If you're unhappy with her services and need to terminate the project or push her to redo it, you risk ending the relationship. Don't get entangled.

happyone

Post Fri, Jul 19 2019, 3:20 pm
no. no. no.. never hire anyone you cannot fire.

If you value this relationship , there's a yiddish term "Mit Mishpucha Est Men Kugel, un nisht fun der zelber teller"
"With family stick to eating Kugel, and not from the same plate."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics