Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Fast day
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 10:51 pm
Are you fasting tomorrow? If you are not, why?

Jewishfoodie

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:06 pm
Some very prominent Rabbonim in Chassidik circles say that women are exempt from most fasts because they are either pregnant or nursing or unwell.

Also, when its a nidcha, people are more meikil.

However! Fasting has always been a form of ritual cleansing for the Jewish people and if a woman is able to fast, it will elevate her with the proper machshavos.

Meaning, if your method of fasting is only tolerating it with Netflix, you may be missing the point of a spiritually elevating day. We are trying to show Hashem that we kavyachol "feel his pain" and are sad for Hashem "losing his home on earth", not tryibg to catch up on seasons we may have missed of whatever is the happening show.

Opinion! This is MY OPINION! Please dont murder me. I teach it to my own children this way.

Eta: Yes, iyH, I will be fasting.

Last edited by Jewishfoodie on Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:11 pm
Planning to fast. I do read to pass the time but don't have Netflix. The grandchildren will probably go to their cousins.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:27 pm
Not fasting. Recently sick and nidda in addition to meds that need food. Psak given.

pesek zman

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:30 pm
I don’t fast 17 Tamuz anymore (did before becoming a mom) especially when nidche

soap suds

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:31 pm
I'll be fasting. Wish me luck.

simba

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:37 pm
I am going to try. I’ll definitely get past chatzos.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:41 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Some very prominent Rabbonim in Chassidik circles say that women are exempt from most fasts because they are either pregnant or nursing or unwell.

Also, when its a nidcha, people are more meikil.

However! Fasting has always been a form of ritual cleansing for the Jewish people and if a woman is able to fast, it will elevate her with the proper machshavos.

Meaning, if your method of fasting is only tolerating it with Netflix, you may be missing the point of a spiritually elevating day. We are trying to show Hashem that we kavyachol "feel his pain" and are sad for Hashem "losing his home on earth", not tryibg to catch up on seasons we may have missed of whatever is the happening show.

Opinion! This is MY OPINION! Please dont murder me. I teach it to my own children this way.

Eta: Yes, iyH, I will be fasting.

So I respect your opinion JF.
I will be fasting. Or attempting to. I haven't fasted for a few years now except 9BAV and YK but my baby stopped nursing and I guess I dont have an excuse this time.
But I really do plan in watching movies to get thru it and pass time. And also to give my kids videos all day to get me thru it even tho they hardly watch usually.
Do u think it's not worth it?
If I did not fast, I would take them on a day trip like any other Sunday.
Curious what your opinion would be.

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:42 pm
35 weeks pregnant. Not fasting. Haven't fasted other than Yom Kippur in the last two years because I've been pregnant or nursing

Jewishfoodie

Post Sat, Jul 20 2019, 11:51 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
So I respect your opinion JF.
I will be fasting. Or attempting to. I haven't fasted for a few years now except 9BAV and YK but my baby stopped nursing and I guess I dont have an excuse this time.
But I really do plan in watching movies to get thru it and pass time. And also to give my kids videos all day to get me thru it even tho they hardly watch usually.
Do u think it's not worth it?
If I did not fast, I would take them on a day trip like any other Sunday.
Curious what your opinion would be.

Respect! On a day that you could have gotten away with it, you chose to fast! That's special considering that im sure you can get a heter. I dont look down at people. For any reason. I am merely suggesting to my children that since the reason we fast is a lofty one, to purify, to sanctify etc..they should attempt to fill their day with things that encourage that as well. Torah Anytime is not a preachy app per se. You pick your speed. If one Rabbi is too lofty and obscure in his references, I take someone who speaks my language. Someone I "get". And even if it gave me a few precious moments of chizuk and happiness, its a fast im happy to have gotten through. I dont know that I benefit much from random shopping on amazon, watching movies or planning an extravagant meal to break my fast. It kinda spoils the meaning of the day for me.

Thats just me. One person. But I love to feel a little bit elevated by a special day, a special person or a special torah thought. Because its so hard to come by in this really busy life. So this day is a designated day for that, for me.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:16 am
Im chassidish I only fast tishah bav and YK

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:18 am
simba wrote:
I am going to try. I’ll definitely get past chatzos.

When I saw the weather I said I’m not fasting but your post is giving me the push to try till chatzos. Thank you!

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:21 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Im chassidish I only fast tishah bav and YK

Because youre nursing, sick or pregnant? Or because your chassiddish?

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:21 am
No it's a nidcha it will be 105 degrees tomorrow and the kids will be home all day. Today was hard enough when I was eating and drinking

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:31 am
I'm also Chasidish and I'm wondering. Is it a Chasidish thing to just fast on Yom Kippur on Tishah Bav? Is the rest of the world stricter with fasting?

shanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:00 am
Orange- if you want, you can ask your Rav about the “within 2 years of giving birth heter” even if you are not nursing

shanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:01 am
I admire anyone who is fasting and Jewishfoodie your ideas are so meaningful

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:15 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I'm also Chasidish and I'm wondering. Is it a Chasidish thing to just fast on Yom Kippur on Tishah Bav? Is the rest of the world stricter with fasting?

Honestly, I wont say 'stricter' but rather, it's more relevant. I find that some girls I know are more makpid to daven twice, sometimes 3 times a day and others, from different circles, are satisfied with shacharis.

It turns out kinda the way you saw your mom do it

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:21 am
shanarishona wrote:
I admire anyone who is fasting and Jewishfoodie your ideas are so meaningful

I wish. Last year, it was soo long, I listened to a new Rabbi (new to me) and I was so incensed by some of the things he was saying, I wrote out a long rebuttal, laying out my proof that he was being wayy to harsh about a certain issue.

After I broke my fast, I reread it and deleted it. I was just hangry. And my points werent as brilliant as I thought they were when I was truly hungry.

I have since relistened to that speech with a more discerning ear and found that I basically agreed with him, except for one poorly worded sentence he said.

So, I will work on trying to chill.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:22 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:

Yes, as far as I know, other communities expect women to fast. It's not that they are strict, it's that chassidim are lenient. (At best.)
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note