Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Food for after fast
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 4:56 am
What can I make for my husband for after the fast?
I am not fasting. My husband is going back to Brooklyn before the fast is over, and I want him to have something yummy and homemade that wint get squished or spill during the car ride home.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:04 am
I prepared pancakes that are sitting in the fridge ready to reheat

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:08 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I prepared pancakes that are sitting in the fridge ready to reheat

They dont change texture? Any pancakes that I've met that aren't eaten within minutes get hard. What recipe do you use?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They dont change texture? Any pancakes that I've met that aren't eaten within minutes get hard. What recipe do you use?

I think it's this one https://www.allrecipes.com/rec.....kes/.
I use almond milk instead of milk and oil instead of butter. I also sub some of the four with whole wheat.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:47 am
Lukshen cheese kugel
Tomato soup in a thermos
A fresh roll with a protein inside

cuffs

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What can I make for my husband for after the fast?
I am not fasting. My husband is going back to Brooklyn before the fast is over, and I want him to have something yummy and homemade that wint get squished or spill during the car ride home.

I would send something baked, like cookies or danish, then would send a fresh roll with some cut up veggies and cheeses...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 6:33 am
Hot coffee in a thermos. Fresh baguette with sliced eggs, mayo, sprinkle of seasoning. Baked goods. Cubed melon in a small container.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 7:26 am
What about French toast, cheese blintzes, cheese cake, cheese latkes, Avocado salad. Broccolli salad. Mashed potatoes. Pasta salad.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 7:29 am
Fresh challa, egg salad, veggies n dips.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 7:36 am
My husband used to break his fast on cake in shul & always felt miserable after that.
Since they started giving herring after fast, he feels great when he breaks his fast.
Sounds weird but its the missing sodium....
When digestive system shuts down & you overload it with sugar like cake & juice, the body goes haywire. Just saying.

Maybe your husband prefers a hot soup, after fast

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:46 am
dankbar wrote:
My husband used to break his fast on cake in shul & always felt miserable after that.
Since they started giving herring after fast, he feels great when he breaks his fast.
When digestive system shuts down & you overload it with sugar like cake & juice, the body goes haywire. Just saying.

The fast is over once he gets back to Brooklyn. Hot soup isn't exactly an option over here Very Happy And I'm not going to send him with any because I dont want it to spill.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:10 am
So make him a bagel with cream cheese and lox- or egg salad

Can you make blintzes?

There’s always yogurt, cereal and milk...

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:13 am
Bagel, cream cheese, lox
Baguette, cheese and tomato

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:14 am
Fresh baguette
Egg salad
Israeli Salad
Fresh pastries and decaf coffee
Cut up watermelon

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:20 am
dankbar wrote:

Actually the BEST thing to have right after a fast is juice and a piece of cake, then let the stomach rest for a while before eating anything heavier. Strange that your dh has that reaction but it’s actually best. If you start eating heavier things right after the fast you will for sure get sickl
That’s like lo aleinu the holocaust survivors when they started eating real food after having starved many got deathly ill.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:26 am
One year I drank Powerade after the fast. I couldn’t get enough of it and it’s not something I usually drink..
Now I buy it for after the fast (not for before)

Stars

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:29 am
My husband usually wants creamy mashed potatoes and a grilled chicken cutlet. For this weather I would make some decaf iced tea as well.

renslet

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:02 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Actually the BEST thing to have right after a fast is juice and a piece of cake, then let the stomach rest for a while before eating anything heavier. Strange that your dh has that reaction but it’s actually best. If you start eating heavier things right after the fast you will for sure get sickl
That’s like lo aleinu the holocaust survivors when they started eating real food after having starved many got deathly ill.

I think that my definition of heavy food includes cake made with flour and sugar, and juice - especially not freshly squeezed.

A nutritionist once told me to eat rice, salmon and avocado before and after a fast.

Dina2018

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:33 am
renslet wrote:
I think that my definition of heavy food includes cake made with flour and sugar, and juice - especially not freshly squeezed.

A nutritionist once told me to eat rice, salmon and avocado before and after a fast.

doesnt salmon make thirsty before a fast?

renslet

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:36 am
Dina2018 wrote:
doesnt salmon make thirsty before a fast?

Never had a problem with it, been eating this for years
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note