Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Mirror doors. Yay or nay?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:00 am
We desperately need more closet space so we've decided to line the side of the upstairs hallway with closets. It's a bungalow style house and the hallway where the closets will be is rarely used as it provides access to a storage cupboard only. We've ordered sliding doors so it shouldn't really bother anyone but I was wondering if putting up mirror doors will give an illusion of larger space.

The closets will be along the wall that is parallel to the staircase so the banister rails (that will be approx 60cm away from the doors) will be reflected in the mirrors as well as the person going up the stairs once they reach the top few stairs. The other option is using white doors to match the rest of the interior.

I initially liked the idea of mirrors but now I'm wondering if it won't look too busy. I thought the white would make it look small but perhaps it will look more clean and calm?

Any advice that can help me decide?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:07 am
White.

I initially thought mirrored (space) but actually white will look better IMHO! Clean and calm.

jflower

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:36 am
Take a look at this: https://www.decoist.com/2013-0.....oors/

It might look quite nice but think about all the fingerprints you'll be cleaning. Also, decide whether you want to see yourself coming and going down the hall each time you pass.

I personally would get wood doors and paint them. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:54 am
Nay. If they crack and they do, it s a pain to replace

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 4:51 pm
I wouldn't get mirrored doors for a hallway. I have doors in my hallway and they are white and just blend with the space. There is nothing to reflect so it would look odd in a corridor.

Conversely I have large closets in my master bedroom and these do have sliding mirrored doors. I recently replaced the old ones with new ones - better tracks and also the tracks blend into the mirror whereas the old ones were ugly brass tone. In my bedroom, they work because they reflect the light from the window and expand the feeling of space as well as provide a nice view. They are also highly functional because I have such great large full length mirrors.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:38 pm
White makes things look larger, not smaller. Go for white. What’s the point of mirroring a hallway that essentially goes nowhere, anyway?

whewpy

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 2:39 am
Amarante can I ask who replaced them?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics