Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Dreaming of a tropical vacation
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:01 am
I watched some HGTV episodes of Caribbean life and oceanfront living, and now I'm obsessed with the idea of a tropical vacation.

I've been to Miami and it was nice, but still not the same. I know I might sound unreasonable, but this is my DREAM list of requirements.

Since imas here might have more experience than this, I figured it's worth a shot.....

Beautiful accommodations, I am very particular. I like new and very clean.

I am dreaming of those clear white sand beaches. A private type of setup would be awesome.

I am afraid of places with "iffy" or unsafe locals, so I would prefer to be in an area under US rule

Kosher food. I am not the type to schlep or make myself crazy with food. So the more convenient the setup the better.

Regarding budget, I am will to pay between 400-500 a night.

I know I might not be able to make this work, but figured it's worth asking here. If not, I'll just keep dreaming.....

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:05 am
I hope you find what you're looking for! I just want to mention that tropical places are much more pleasant in winter than in summer. They tend to be very hot and humid in the summer, with stormy weather.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:06 am
Cancun has some private options.
Hawaii as well, but I don't think there's kosher food.

nchr

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:07 am
The Caribbean is over rated. There are some beaches in NJ that put it to shame. Hawaii is nice but very touristy. Guam may fit your bill, or Seychelles but I doubt they are practical for you. So it may just be nice to take a vacation on an east coast beach here in the US.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:13 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I hope you find what you're looking for! I just want to mention that tropical places are much more pleasant in winter than in summer. They tend to be very hot and humid in the summer, with stormy weather.

Thanks for this information. I might wait until winter to pull this off, so it's good to know!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:15 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

I know people go to Cancun, but like I mentioned, I'm nervous about the idea of going to Mexico. Maybe people who've been there can chime in about that....

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:16 am
The Hyatt Ziva in Cancun, Mexico is amazing. Reserve a room in the adults only section and you can have access to a more private quieter pool as well. Private sauna outside on your covered balcony. There's a restaurant Red Heifer walkable from there.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:19 am
nchr wrote:
The Caribbean is over rated. There are some beaches in NJ that put it to shame. Hawaii is nice but very touristy. Guam may fit your bill, or Seychelles but I doubt they are practical for you. So it may just be nice to take a vacation on an east coast beach here in the US.

Please tell me which local beaches you have found that can be better. I find the beaches here to be very commercial and I hate that they are a black/grey/blue color. Would love to hear of suggestions for places that can be more practical but still make me feel like I've gotten away to a more exotic location.

I just have a "thing" for beaches and water.... in another life, I'd probably just buy a waterfront property and live there all year round!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:21 am
ra_mom wrote:
The Hyatt Ziva in Cancun, Mexico is amazing. Reserve a room in the adults only section and you can have access to a more private quiter pool as well. Private sauna outside on your covered balcony. There's a restaurant Red Heifer walkable from there.

Thanks! I will look into this. Did the fact that it's in Mexico make any difference to you? I don't know why I'm so afraid of it.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:22 am
I’m from Grenada and moved to Trinidad when I was young (before moving to the US). I would love to vouch for the both of them, and if you want white sandy beaches that aren’t packed with tourists, I know they’d fit the bill. But there isn’t much in terms of kosher food. Maybe DR? Although nowadays I don’t know...

nchr

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please tell me which local beaches you have found that can be better. I find the beaches here to be very commercial and I hate that they are a black/grey/blue color. Would love to hear of suggestions for places that can be more practical but still make me feel like I've gotten away to a more exotic location.

I just have a "thing" for beaches and water.... in another life, I'd probably just buy a waterfront property and live there all year round!

Sandy Hook is nicer than the Caribbean IMO. Also, if you like snorkeling, many of the Caribbean spots are under rated. Your dream is of a Guam or Seychelles beach. It doesnt mean you shouldn't go to the Caribbean, but just that it may not be what you're looking for.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! I will look into this. Did the fact that it's in Mexico make any difference to you? I don't know why I'm so afraid of it.

I was also fearful but dh put my fears to rest. I was more open to this than other far-flung places. And it was grand!! So glad I went. I wouldn't go without dh though.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:26 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:24 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]I know people go to Cancun, but like I mentioned, I'm nervous about the idea of going to Mexico. Maybe people who've been there can chime in about tha

Last edited by amother on Sat, Jan 02 2021, 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:38 am
nchr wrote:
Sandy Hook is nicer than the Caribbean IMO. Also, if you like snorkeling, many of the Caribbean spots are under rated. Your dream is of a Guam or Seychelles beach. It doesnt mean you shouldn't go to the Caribbean, but just that it may not be what you're looking for.

Can you recommend a beautiful hotel there that I can look into? Also, what about kosher food?

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:45 am
We loved Costa Rica but no kosher food

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I watched some HGTV episodes of Caribbean life and oceanfront living, and now I'm obsessed with the idea of a tropical vacation.

I've been to Miami and it was nice, but still not the same. I know I might sound unreasonable, but this is my DREAM list of requirements.

Since imas here might have more experience than this, I figured it's worth a shot.....

Beautiful accommodations, I am very particular. I like new and very clean.

I am dreaming of those clear white sand beaches. A private type of setup would be awesome.

I am afraid of places with "iffy" or unsafe locals, so I would prefer to be in an area under US rule

Kosher food. I am not the type to schlep or make myself crazy with food. So the more convenient the setup the better.

Regarding budget, I am will to pay between 400-500 a night.

I know I might not be able to make this work, but figured it's worth asking here. If not, I'll just keep dreaming.....

There are iffy people in the US too... Just saying...

How about Mauritius? There is a kosher resort there.

lcraighten

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:06 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

Hawaii has kosher food. Owahu Kosher will ship to anywhere in Hawaii and they food is great! You can also find most kosher brands in Walmart

lcraighten

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:08 am
Hawaii is super easy when it comes to food, but I don't know of any private beaches although I'm sure there are some secluded areas. Maybe look into an Airbnb on Owahu?

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:31 am
Aruba has beautiful beaches.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 9:56 am
I’ve been to porta rico. we Had an amazing time! I have so many beautiful memories! We took a boat to an island. It was breathtaking, I literally started to cry. There is a Chabad house with a little grocery and dairy and meat restaurant/take out. They also deliver. Attractions are not very expensive there. I went in the winter, wonder what the weather is like there now
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics