Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Hot to clean velvet kippahs

amother

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 5:12 am
My 4 year old son wears velvet kippahs, and as DH wears srugah we are perplexed as to what happens when the kippah gets so dirty and dingy. He's in kindergarten and plays in the sand and it's only a matter of weeks before the kippah looks 10 years old. Can it be washed in the washing machine? Dry cleaned?

mimivan

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 5:25 am
I wipe ours off with a wet cloth..that's before they really start to look dingy...

shalhevet

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 5:44 am
Wow, I'm waiting to hear an answer. As far as I know there isn't a way to clean them. I just spot clean with water, and when they get really ikky I have to buy new....

Maybe someone knows where to bulk buy velvet kippot. 8)

(I actually just bought corduroy for every day out of desperation - also cheaper. But I have no idea if they can be washed either. ) Help

HooRYou

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 5:47 am
I hadn wahs them. There are such a thing as washable velvet kippas but I just hand wash the regular one. I think they come out looking pretty good. If you do wipe or wash them put them over somehting like a bottle to dry so that it keeps its shape.

louche

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 8:36 am
Use a lint brush--the ones that look like red velvet are the best. When that no longer does the trick, hand wash with mild soap, swishing around in the suds, rinse, and let drip-dry. Do not squeeze. When no longer dripping, stretch on a wig form. Brush again when dry to raise the nap.

Let's hear it for srugot! Eminently washable, even scrubbable, and the design never peels off.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 8:38 am
Ummm, dh wears srugies and they get DISGUSTING! And, they don't get clean no matter how many washes I put them through. Any ideas?

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 10:03 am
well wash em by hand ... and have several ... I only had trouble in the summers with nature boy ...

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 10:09 am
dh says velvet kippas don't survive the washing machine, and by hand it's quite difficult... he says he best is to brush them with a clothes brush, or with a non plushing cloth...

ArthurDent

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 10:15 am
I put my dh's kippahs through the washing machine. But I make sure to handwash a few times first b/c those things are made with cheap dye that bleeds all over the place. I have to wash them b/c they start to smell so disgusting!

Sometimes I smell the top of dh's head and say, "Gross, your head smells like your kippah!" He says, "How do you know it's not just that the kippah smells like me?"

mamacita

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 10:22 am
I throw dh's velvet kippas in the wash with no problems. They aren't any special kind, just whatever they sell at the bookstore in Yerushalayim he likes. Of course he doesn't have the aleph beis in puff paint, so . . .

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 10:57 am
THEY don't last forever. lint brushes hel.

boruchhashem

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 11:14 am
We used to manufacture the chasidish ones, and we made the 4 part ones too. As of the last few years, we used a microfiber velvet, which washes beautifully in the machine. Of course, I can only vouch for the ones we made, that they would uphold even after alot of washes. Some others may come apart. So be careful.

shoy18

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 11:22 am
I find if they get washed they dry all misshapen and then I end up ordering new ones. The bigger question is how do you prevent then from falling in the toilete????

boruchhashem

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 11:28 am
Ours were able to be washed and dryed. No problems there. You may just have to stretch the binding at the end to get it to fit properly. And when you find the toilet solution, keep us posted. LOL

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 11:48 am
Maybe it's because the srugies are really good quality and so they keep the dirt in the tight knots better?

louche

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 1:54 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
Ummm, dh wears srugies and they get DISGUSTING! And, they don't get clean no matter how many washes I put them through. Any ideas?

wash them frequently and scrub by hand with a stiff nail brush, not the natural bristle type that wouldn't dislodge a flea. Try using shampoo, which supposedly is formulated specifically for dissolving body oils. (I'm skeptical, but maybe it's true.) Bleach the white ones.

Hardly anyone washes kippot often enough.

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 6:47 pm
I hand washed my husbands kippa and stuck it on the heater to dry. It looks new.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics