Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Is paleo possible during the nine days?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:34 am
My doctor recently recommended I go Paleo to treat my acid reflux. Paleo means no grains, no beans, no soy, no legumes, no dairy, no sugar, no processed food.
I've been eating lots of vegetables and bone broth. A moderate amount of meat, chicken, fish, eggs, fruit and healthy oils. And a limited amount of nuts, seeds, and sweet potato.
I'm loving this diet! I've lost weight and don't have cravings.

Im getting really worried about the nine days, though. Has anyone ever done it?
I can base one meal a day around eggs and one meal around fish. I don't think it'll be healthy to do more than that. Are there any other acceptable sources of protein im forgetting about?

I'd really appreciate any help I can get!

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:18 am
what about salads with nuts or seeds?
Anything peanut butter based?

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:19 am
Are you allowed quinoa?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My doctor recently recommended I go Paleo to treat my acid reflux. Paleo means no grains, no beans, no soy, no legumes, no dairy, no sugar, no processed food.
I've been eating lots of vegetables and bone broth. A moderate amount of meat, chicken, fish, eggs, fruit and healthy oils. And a limited amount of nuts, seeds, and sweet potato.

I can base one meal a day around eggs and one meal around fish. I don't think it'll be healthy to do more than that. Are there any other acceptable sources of protein im forgetting about?

You can do smoothies with protein powder, protein shakes, make pancakes using protein powder and eggs, make cloud bread and use that for sandwiches, you can use spaghetti squash or zoodles and make shashuka with it, etc.
You can always ask your rabbi for a heter to eat meat and chicken for health reasons if necessary. Good luck.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:45 am
Tehina is the magic vitamin paste that no one told us about. It's loaded with a lot of the value you get out of meat.

normal1

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:52 am
I would ask a rov, it’s a minhag not Halacha and you may be able to get a one year heater. Good luck

nchr

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:55 am
Just eat what you are minus the meat for nine days. Veggies are very filling.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:19 pm
Some veggies are hi in iron, can those sub the proteins?
Broccoli, avocado, spinach, eggplants, peppers
If you beat in an egg into your spinach?
Avocado mash with eggs?
make mock liver with eggplant & eggs
Mushroom/egg salad

This way you have some variations not only fish & eggs

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:23 pm
op I hope you don't mind me asking how you make bone broth? do you make meat or chicken?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don’t see why not. If I can do it, eating less types of food than you do, so can you. Also, I don’t eat starches ( sweet potato) or any fruit, but I do eat very limited amounts of heavy cream in coffee and hard cheese.( differences between paleo and me.)

We eat eggs, fish, some veg and of course since those things are moderate, fats.

We do this year round except the 9 days we of course don’t eat meat. I used to take 2 x40 mg nexium a day. Now almost never. Your doc is smart!

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:39 pm; edited 3 times in total

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:27 pm
Eggs and veggies
Fish and veggies
Keep it simple it’s the 9 days after all

You can make flax bread
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=89nhQOtMd7o
And stuff it with avocado lettuce tomato onion

Hemp seed falafel
https://www.eatfatbeatfat.com/.....lafel
With some Israeli salad

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don’t understand what you think is unhealthy. Moderate protein not high protein. Eat macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts....

This is really not different than what you are doing now just without meat

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:36 pm
You can incorporate nutritional yeast for b vitamins and it’s a complete protein

https://www.paleoplan.com/ingr.....east/

I like making mash cauliflower and adding in nutritional yeast
Grilled portabellamushroom
Mash “cheesy” (nutritional yeast) cauliflower
Salad
My go to parve dinner, yum

Chia pudding makes a yummy breakfast or dessert full of protein

smss

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:46 pm
I've done it. It gets boring, but doable.
Some ideas:
-zucchini noodles w/ tuna & pesto
-salmon or tuna patties
-crustless quiche
-deviled eggs
-almond flour crusted tilapia
-fish "tacos" w/lettuce cups

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:48 pm
smss wrote:
I've done it. It gets boring, but doable.
Some ideas:
-zucchini noodles w/ tuna & pesto
-salmon or tuna patties
-crustless quiche
-deviled eggs
-almond flour crusted tilapia
-fish "tacos" w/lettuce cups

It doesn’t have to be boring
You can make non dairy cauliflower crust pizza
https://perfectketo.com/caulif.....rust/

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:13 pm
You can eat three fish meals in two days and three egg-based meals in two days. I don't think that's unhealthy if you do that for just five days. (Sunday through Thursday, this year. You'll be able to have a chicken or meat meal on Friday night, and then on Shabbat.) Alternate between salmon, tuna, and trout for the fish to avoid having too much of one type of fish.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:22 pm
Thank you all for these great ideas. Please keep them coming!

To answer some questions:
Peanuts and quinoa are not paleo.
Tree nuts and seeds are used as a treat, not as a meal. Nevertheless, it's a great idea. I'm sure a salad with a small handful of almonds or sunflower seeds would be fantastic and nutritious.
I make bone broth with chicken bones and vegetables. Yum. I have several bowls a day. That'll be the most difficult thing to give up for the nine days, so I will definitely ask a rav.

cbg

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all for these great ideas. Please keep them coming!

To answer some questions:
Peanuts and quinoa are not paleo.
Tree nuts and seeds are used as a treat, not as a meal. Nevertheless, it's a great idea. I'm sure a salad with a small handful of almonds or sunflower seeds would be fantastic and nutritious.
I make bone broth with chicken bones and vegetables. Yum. I have several bowls a day. That'll be the most difficult thing to give up for the nine days, so I will definitely ask a rav.

Make cabbage soup

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:32 pm
Why do you think eggs and fish would be unhealthy for more than 1 meal? Paleo ha more emphasis on the protein that what you wrote in your OP. Have fish every day if you want!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 3:32 pm
I have to eat keto as per my doctor and I have a heter to eat chicken during the nine days. However, I'm allergic to fish, so that might be why. If fish were an option, I would probably just eat more of it for the nine days.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise