Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How much do you pay for yeshiva tuition? How do you manage?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:57 pm
How much do you pay for yeshiva tuition for your kids? How do you manage to pay all this money especially if you have a few kids? I am asking for myself because I am very worried about it.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 12:52 am
I pay some fees, not tuition, bc I am low income and live in Ohio, and the state pays around 4500 for each kid in vouchers.
I wouldn't be able to afford tuition otherwise.
One of us is handicapped and unable to work. Our income wouldn't cover regular tuition!!!

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 1:08 am
I currently only have 2 girls in school, 1 in middle school and 1 in preschool. This is the tuition schedule for the year: https://shulamith.org/apps/pag.....ype=d

We pay full tuition in advance so we get the early bird discount of 5% which is significant when talking about thousands of dollars. This is one of our major expenses but we have a small family and a decent income so we can afford it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 2:34 am
I am wondering how do people manage to pay such expensive tuition fees for their children. I am worried about what will happen if my husband and I won’t be able to pay it. And we want to have many children Bezrat Hashem.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 2:50 am
We are blessed with a fairly large family B"H but not a matching income.

Some years we homeschooled for part of the year.

Other years (most years) miracles happened, sometimes because money came in, others because someone took pity on us, or the schools were willing to work with us.

Hashem gives us the children, He will give us the means to take care of them. Those expenses are not part of our income calculated on Rosh Hashana. We do our part by minimizing spending on luxuries and paying what we can for our children's Chinuch.

Nowadays (or perhaps it was always this way) it is impossible to raise children without a healthy dose of bitachon.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 3:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How much do you pay for yeshiva tuition for your kids? How do you manage to pay all this money especially if you have a few kids? I am asking for myself because I am very worried about it.

Tuition is in the mid 30K range per child in high school. Close to 40K when you add in extras like busing and lunch. Elementary school comes to 30K with extras. We have a reasonably high income, but tuition takes such a large percentage that we have almost nothing left at the end of the month. We didn’t save in our 401k for years because we needed every penny.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 5:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Most schools make deals with the parents once you have a few kids in the school. If you earn 70k and have 6 kids in the school and tuition is 10k a kid, they're much more likely to just give you a family sum.

My long term plan is to teach in the local school. They give a significant tuition break if you teach a certain number of hours, and it's a win win for the school which doesn't need to hire as many people.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:51 am
I am in Israel and send to the religious public school system. We pay roughly 2000 shekels for the year. That included hot lunch as well.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:21 am
I feel like it's getting unsustainable. There is no way. We make combined about 80-90K per year. Seriously considering public school. If it weren't for tuition I could breathe a tiny bit. Add on the babysittter which I need for afterschool hours since I'm not back from work yet. (live in Brooklyn, moving is not an option)!!

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:26 am
I’m chassidish and pay $3,000 per kid tuition. Transportation is about $675 per kid.

Summer is expensive and not optional since they continue to learn. In a few years when my oldest is a bachur he will need to go to sleep away camp which I believe is $2,500 for the summer. That adds up quickly when you need to send a few kids away for the summer.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:29 am
One kid at a time. If you're struggling financially you'll factor that in and slow down until things settle. Be"h slowly but surely you will build your family. Just don't take on more than you can chew emotionally or otherwise.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:32 am
Chassidish and we pay $4k per kid (includes busing and lunch).
Same price from nursery through 8th. (Don't have kids in high school yet, so I don't know about high school)

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 12:07 pm
We pay upwards of $70,000 per year. This is after tuition discounts. It's hard and we work hard and live smallish. But it didn't start out like this. Take it one child, one grade at a time. And put urself on a career path so ur income grows as tuition grows. If it starts to look like things will become unsustainable, then u prioritize.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:39 pm
Here in Toronto Federation gives huge sums of money to many of the Jewish Day Schools to help offset the cost of tuition. This is for grades 1-12 not preschool though. You apply online and the school will assess and determine how much you pay. If you have kids in multiple schools the schools work together to divide up where tuition goes. Tuition is $15,000/kid for my kids. We pay $24,000/year for five children in elementary school based on our income. Some schools have deferral options and you pay amounts for years and years even long after your kids are finished school. Some schools have loan programs for preschool. I would sooner send my kids to public school than have stopped having them because of tuition costs and I say that as a parent of a child currently in public school.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 2:06 pm
About ten thousand per child where I live and tuition breaks are offered based on need.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:21 pm
I pay over 13k for two kids after tuition break. Husband and I both work, and make a little over 50k combined. Our work related expenses (babysitter, transportation) are almost 1000$ a month.

It’s insane. We were discouraged from getting a proper secular education, and encouraged to get married young, have as many children as possible, and stay in kollel until we were choking.
Here’s the result. Brilliant plan.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:26 pm
We make 55k before tax and pay 10K. Over 20% income.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:31 pm
we pay just under 30k for 4 kids, with breaks from all schools. (2 elem, 1 middle, 1 HS) some schools are more generous than others. due to the nature of our income it's not the same each year, so some years we're fine and other years we struggle and dip into our savings/line of credit. full tuition would be around 50k.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:38 pm
I have three kids. Two in elementary and one in preschool. I don't get any breaks at all. I pay altogether about 25k in tuition.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:39 pm
Honestly curious, what kind of jobs some of you have that you only make 25k a year? (One poster wrote both working and making 50k combined). Even without having to pay tuition that’s not so sustainable with a few kids.
And I wouldn’t say it’s for sure related to having a bais Yaakov or yeshiva education etc. My sister makes 40k, 6 months into her first job out of seminary. No college education. Another sister makes 70k, 4 years into her first job out of stem, no college.... these are office jobs with some talent needed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics