Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Best contour kit? Tarte / Kat von D/ other?

cinnabon

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:09 am
I’m about to place an order by Sephora .
I’m into makeup and enjoy experimenting but I’m not a professional makeup artist ..
right now I have fenty contour stick and it doesn’t do much. Any recommendations ?
I see tarte and kat von d have a duo set.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:55 am
I have a few but my current favorite is a Tarte tarteist which has blush, highlighter and bronzer times two - I.e. there are two different sets. My palette is called Pro Glow.

However, it is difficult to do contouring correctly so I don't think the product per se is at issue. If you really want to contour, it would probably be best to physically go into a store and have someone show you the products and teach you how to use it well. MAC generally has pretty good makeup artists.

I almost never contour because it really is meant mostly for photographs or when one is doing a heavy makeup look. I do like highlighter though as I find that used subtly it really lights up my face and looks good even without heavy makeup. I use foundation but my friend just uses a BB cream with some highlighter on her cheeks and it looks wonderful.

Do you mean bronzer instead of contouring because lots of people use bronzer to give them a sun kissed look. Bronzer tends to be darker but isn't necessarily used to contour.

You can also take a look at various youtube videos

cinnabon

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:58 am
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I actually use bronzer everyday regardless - for a sun kissed look.
Contour I use when I want a more made up look. I have roundish face so I can use it Wink
I ended up ordering kat von D cuz saw some good reviews online. Hope it’s good!

happyfaces

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 5:50 pm
Tom Ford is great

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 6:03 pm
Shape Tape is by far the best contour + concealer I have ever come across. Its simple to look up a tutorial on how to contour properly with shape tape. I dont think sephora carries it but its definitely up there with the best. Check out tarte site.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 6:09 pm
FWIW, there are some people who boycott Kat Von D because of her perceived anti-Semitic remarks as well as her anti-vaxx statements

https://forward.com/schmooze/4.....anti/

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 6:11 pm
Your best bet is to go into a MAC store and ask for a tutorial. Their salespeople are amazing, and they are only too happy to do a full face for you.

I also really love their LipGlass lip gloss.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 6:19 pm
There is some overlap between bronzer and contour; matte bronzer can be used for a very subtle contouring effect.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 6:28 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
There is some overlap between bronzer and contour; matte bronzer can be used for a very subtle contouring effect.

Usually bronzer is warmer though. I know if I try to use a matte bronzer (even too faced chocolate which is supposedly not even sooo), as contour, it pulls super orange on me. I find a real contour shade is much more cool toned and gives the shadow effect I want.

OP, what about the Fenty stick don't you like?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 6:33 pm
Tom Ford duo is very popular among makeup artists and amazing

cinnabon

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 7:10 pm
I would love to buy the Tom Ford but spending $80 on a single makeup product seems a bit much at this point .
Would love to walk into Sephora or Mac but I honestly don’t have the time for that ..
Oops I haven’t heard anything abt kat von d boycott.
Sephora has a great return policy so if I’m not happy I’ll return it .

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 8:26 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Usually bronzer is warmer though. I know if I try to use a matte bronzer (even too faced chocolate which is supposedly not even sooo), as contour, it pulls super orange on me.

Bronzer tends to be warmer, but it does come in warmer and cooler tones for warmer and cooler complexions. A subtle contour that leans a little warm can look very good and natural, even if it doesn't have the full shadow effect.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 10:50 pm
cinnabon wrote:
I would love to buy the Tom Ford but spending $80 on a single makeup product seems a bit much at this point .
Would love to walk into Sephora or Mac but I honestly don’t have the time for that ..
Oops I haven’t heard anything abt kat von d boycott.
Sephora has a great return policy so if I’m not happy I’ll return it .

I wasn't sure whether to post the information on Kat since it was after you said you had already bought it and so I didn't want to make it appear as though I was trying to shame you. But I thought I would put it out there in case other people come along and I was also aware that with Sephora, you could return if you felt it was a factor.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 6:36 am
NYX blush is Taupe is a BEAUTIFUL contour. I use that and Physicians formula butter Bronzer in light.
That's my fav combo.
I really also like Nabla and Colourpop's contour powders.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics