Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Help with ironing/steaming for the clueless!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 11:16 am
Growing up, no one in my family ironed or steamed any clothing. It led to many embarrassing moments.

Now, I have clothing that looks like it needs to be ironed or steamed. I really don't have the time to do it, but I'm also completely clueless about how. I don't have an iron, but I do have a steamer.

If I have cotton clothing that is creased, can I steam it? What are the parameters?

I don't even know what to ask... please help!

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 11:22 am
You can take it to a dry cleaner and ask for it to be steamed only.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 11:25 am
I found a steamer is only good for creases in suits or certain ladies clothing. I think you need an iron for regular cotton things. Buy a good one, buy spray starch, read the instructions. Iron collar first, then sleeves, then rest. Good luck. It's not so bad and it's worth being cooler in the summer by wearing cotton.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 12:43 pm
Post a link to what your steamer looks like so we can direct you.

Marigold

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 1:31 pm
If you want to iron well, you need one that has at least 1700 Watts or more. Amazon should have a an array of irons you can check out.
I have the Rowenta® Pro Precision Steam Station and I absolutely love it. It Irons and steams beautifully, with a separate water tanks so that it’s not too heavy. I know it’s very pricey but I iron a lot so for me it’s worth it. It also does the job much more efficiently.

Marigold

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 1:33 pm
oneofakind wrote:
I found a steamer is only good for creases in suits or certain ladies clothing. I think you need an iron for regular cotton things. Buy a good one, buy spray starch, read the instructions. Iron collar first, then sleeves, then rest. Good luck. It's not so bad and it's worth being cooler in the summer by wearing cotton.

I agree.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 1:35 pm
For future reference: Whenever I wanted my mom to buy me clothes, she'd make me hold it
crumpled up in my hand for at least 5 minutes while we shopped.

If it was wrinkled after that, she refused to buy it. "I'm not spending all day ironing your clothes! You can have that when you are old enough to do your own ironing."

To this day I do the "crumple test" and decide if something is worth the ironing or not. Very Happy

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 1:46 pm
Buy Downy Wrinkle Release. Its a blessing! Spray it on the inside of your creased garment, shake it out well and hang. It will hardly need an iron after that. Just a few quick touches when you need that crisp look.

https://www.google.com/search?.....UTF-8

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 2:22 pm
If your clothes are so-called permanent press, you can virtually eliminate the need for ironing by removing them from the dryer and hanging them up when they are almost but not 100%dry. Pull seams, collars, sleeves and packets straight and let that last 2% of the moisture air dry. Allowing laundry to over dry in the machine and not hanging it up immediately is what causes wrinkles in machine dried permanent press.

If you air dry, even permanent press will require ironing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics