Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Dead end job, no other option.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 4:15 pm
Is anyone else working in a dead end job? Is anyone else working because they have no other choice?
My husband is looking for work but has not found anything yet and the job that I have now has no room for growth and no anything else either. I cant see myself staying at this job long term. In the beginning I really did. It pays ok, not great at all but ok. And then my husband lost his job so I couldnt even quit if I wanted to. And now Im beginning to see just how much of a dead end this is for me. Im also not a spring chicken.
This is really just a vent. Nothing I can do about this, but its just not where I want to be.
Sigh, Im already past the age of figuring out my life but I still dont know what I want to be when I grow up, but I know I dont want to be at this job in another 5 years. Sigh. Life Sad

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jul 22 2019, 4:22 pm
I'm sorry 😔 I'm also in somewhat of a dead end job. Worst part is that I invested a lot into my degree and experience in the field, and it turns out that the ceiling is very low in the area I'm currently living. It's not something I could have anticipated going in, but it's my reality for now. I feel like I'm working so hard and I'm still never going to earn more than a mediocre income. At the same time we can't afford to live without this income. So yeah, I feel you.

lcraighten

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 11:26 am
I feel so bad for you, getting stuck in a job you don't like is pretty miserable. Don't fall into despair though! There is no such thing as "past the age"! You can always find something else, it's a strong job market. I don't know what you do, but hopefully you can find a different job that you enjoy more.

TeachersNotebook

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 10:22 pm
I'm so sorry you're going through this. Sending you support and strength.

Why don't you have other options? Is it lack of education or experience? Is it lack of job options in the area?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 10:27 pm
Op me too.
It’s a very bad feeling.
But I am very resigned. Very stuck.
I feel like I missed the boat so to speak.
As you say , I am no spring chicken either.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 10:32 pm
Is there anything else you can do well? Do you have any unusual skills? Could you open a side business? I started my kitchen and residential design business at the age of 50. It was a hobby/passion that turned into a business. I love getting up every morning and immersing myself in my work!

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 10:39 pm
This thread really saddens me. Please, please, please, at least see if you can do something. As long as you are in the workforce, and you are computer and somewhat tech literate, you can and should try to switch. Many, many employees today are looking for commitment and strong soft skills. You don't necessarily need training in specific area to be valuable. Many employers train if everything else matches up.

I spoke to Alan Glazer, a career and business consultant, and he told me that he switched careers at around the age 60 (and is doing very well). He's seen women in their 50's start school and then find jobs they excel at.

I was in a job that I hated, with very low ceiling, and BH was able to move to a completely different field by working mad, mad, mad hard, and proving myself time and again. BH now I love what I do.

I know many women who dropped their degrees to do things they like or have better potential.

Speaking to a career coach, taking GOOD aptititude tests, and seeing how you can transfer current skills are all good ideas.

Not saying its easy, but so, so, so worth it. At least give yourself the gift of trying.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 7:07 am
OP here. For everyone saying that you are sure I can find something else, nope, Ive looked. I have a very general BA and no specific skills.
My husband was laid off and well, we need to eat. I can not leave my job. I really am liking it less and less as time goes on. But there is nothing I can do right now. I cant quit. And looking for a job is not so simple. I know it. Ive been unemployed many many times over the last 20 years. Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics