Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lubavitchers speaking yiddish
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 12:05 pm
I am just curious, what type of Lub. families speak yiddish? I know a lub. family that only speaks a beautiful (litvish) yiddish at home. Is it a certain type? certain places? Is there a nice percentage that do? Did the Rebbe say something about it?

(btw, I am NOT judging at all, just wondering Smile )

Tehilla

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 12:09 pm
we speak english and yiddish at home. if I knew more yiddish, I would speak only yiddish. I'm learning it as we go.

Akeres Habayis

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 12:14 pm
we speak english a tiny yiddish(the basics) I would like to learn it.
I believe the yiddish that is used is from
the polish chassidim use ee instead of u like yeheeda instead of yehooda(lub from russia)one of my dh dearest friends is satmar and he pronouces ee very distinctly(first lang is yiddish for him).
more of the alter lub speak yiddish and their kids know yiddish but I think when you get down to the third gen a little and 4th its goes to nu??? LOL (its my guess about the generations speaking yiddish)

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 12:33 pm
Lubavitchers always speak a litvishe yiddish. Usually it is the old lubavitch families (ie not bts or ppl who became lubavitch) But not all of them do. Several of my siblings speak yiddish to their kids, and we are not orig. lubavitch, and we did not speak yiddish at home. Many lubavitchers know yiddish, and want their kids to know yiddish, because the Rebbe spoke yiddish. The yiddish I know is from the Rebbe's sichos. If I knew better yiddish I would speak to my kids in yiddish, but I have no ear for languages whatsever.

And chumash is teitched into yiddish in a lot of lubavitch schools.

poelmamosh

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 1:45 pm
We speak Yiddish to our kids. For the reasons Raisin lists, but also cuz dh feels that speaking a "Jewish" language clearly diffrentiates us from modern American society and will make it easier for our children to accept our standards. (It is quite convenient when my 3 yo DD asks inappropriate questions embarrassed about people we pass on the street or meet wherever and I can answer/reprimand her and they don't understand...j.)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 1:48 pm
We spoke only Yiddish to ds and he grew up not being able to talk !!!! When we switched to English he became garrulous .

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 3:28 pm
My oldest knows Yiddish the best so far, because that's what we spoke to him mainly until he had a speech delay and couldn't speak at all. We've tried to get back into it with the younger two, and the older one also now that he speaks well. My aim is that my kids should at least understand very well, because that is the language that the Rebbe spoke in and I want them to be able to understand IYH one day when the Rebbe will speak to us again.
They will learn Chumash in Yiddish too, and a basic background in Yiddish will help them in their learning.

My 4 yr old's teacher speaks only in Yiddish to the entire class, and most of them don't speak it at home. But they pick it up in class and it's pretty neat.

proofreader

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 3:50 pm
My parents spoke yiddish with us when we were younger. I believe my father spoke mostly yiddish with his parents in Russia. I automatically speak yiddish with little kids, so right now that's what my baby hears.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 3:57 pm
Sephardi Lubavichers often speak a great yiddish! my dad discussed with a bochur from the closest yesh and he was impressed!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:
I am just curious, what type of Lub. families speak yiddish? I know a lub. family that only speaks a beautiful (litvish) yiddish at home. Is it a certain type? certain places? Is there a nice percentage that do? Did the Rebbe say something about it?

Maybe this should have been put in the Lub section ?

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 4:10 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
amother wrote:

If the OP isn't lubavitch she wouldn't have access to the lub section. I'm not saying she is or isn't. I don't know.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 4:15 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
amother wrote:

But I (OP) am not Lubavitch so how could I have put it there? Scratching Head

I am pleasantly surprised to hear that it is fairly common for Lub. to speak, or try to speak some yiddish. I never knew, and was curious.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 4:22 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Sephardi Lubavichers often speak a great yiddish! my dad discussed with a bochur from the closest yesh and he was impressed!

Most bochurim pick it up in yeshiva. I conclude this because I know my dh comes from a non yiddish speaking home and went to non yiddish teaching schools, (not lubavitch) and then to lubavitch yeshivos, and now speaks yiddish.

And my french sefardi bil speaks beautiful yiddish to his children.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 4:59 pm
Oh, you mean OP isn't a Lub and is just curious ?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 5:06 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Oh, you mean OP isn't a Lub and is just curious ?

Yes Very Happy anything wrong?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 5:10 pm
I didn't realize that. I should have, though.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 5:11 pm
I didn't realize that. I should have, though.

pink car

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 12:11 pm
many people speak to their kids in a language that they know other than English so that thier kids could learn a second language and especially if they want to communicate with grandparents who don't speak say, English for example...

I speak to my kids in English, although I speak Yiddish (from home) and dh speaks yiddish and Hebrew as a first language (From home and yeshivah too) Confused

but just this week it dawned on us, that maybe its not too late to start to speak other languages around them or at least vocabulary - we started calling fruits and vegetables in Hebrew Tongue Out and would like to start more...

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
The Rebbe expressed a desire that Chassidim speak yiddish with their children, and was dissappointed when they didn't (if they were able to). The Rebbe spoke in Yiddish at the farbrengens and every public address.

bashinda

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 9:59 pm
proofreader wrote:
My parents spoke yiddish with us when we were younger. I believe my father spoke mostly yiddish with his parents in Russia. I automatically speak yiddish with little kids, so right now that's what my baby hears.

I'm thinking of putting DD in the yiddish program at BR but we also have very little yiddish at home. I do think that it's sad that people who grew up speaking Yiddish aren't necessarily continuing it with their kids. I don't see it enough I think.

I'm pretty bad with languages. It's like breaking teeth. I try and I can now learn sichos but I can't have a conversation or read the Algemeiner Journal.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics