Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lubavitchers speaking yiddish
Previous  1  2  3  Next

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 10:01 pm
Ask around about that program, BAs HInda. the girls the following year often need tutors to catch up in the Engish.

bashinda

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 10:22 pm
cm: thanks for the tip, I will. I'll do my research. It depends on her. My brother, and DH are amazing at languages so she might take after them. Of course she might take after me and I'm not so great with them! So far my hunch is she's taking after her tatty but I'll be careful.

and I just realized that with my first post I had meant to insert a quote from pink car not proofreader. Oh well!

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 10:25 pm
CM, I don't know if that's standard. My dd was in the Yiddish program and didn't need any tutors the following year, and had no problem meeting the grade level. The English curriculum in second grade was a bit more concentrated, or maybe faster paced so they caught up. Second grade is a year of review, basically improving the skills they learned in first, so it's easily possible to combine into one year. At this point I think the program includes second and third, so things are probably different than then, maybe they get caught up in third or fourth grade.

My younger dd went to BCM, where the entire school is on the Yiddish track/ curriculum. she only started learning English formally in seventh grade, and is doing just fine ka"h, and can read all the books that girls her age do. But she knows more Yiddish than most girls her age, has a great Yiddish vocabulary, and her class is on a high level in all limudei kodesh too.

Last edited by TzenaRena on Sat, Dec 29 2007, 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 10:27 pm
Well, MY daughter not only coudln't read Englilsh, she couldn't read Hebrew either , so she was so far behind it wasn't a thought.

I heard from many mothers that their daughters did not do well and that it was not worth it.

But, to each his own ....

bashinda

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 10:54 pm
TR: do you speak Yiddish at home? For us the closest we get is Yinglish.

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 11:19 pm
It used to be much better embarrassed But yes, to a certain extent we still do, when the kids were all little, we spoke only Yiddish to them. My husband and I spoke half and half to each other, since the kids were born. It's my dh's first language, I learned it in school and listening to the Rebbe's farbrengens, and a little from my grandmother. It picked up a lot after I got married.

I say go for the Yiddish class. When I came to BR, classes were still taught in Yiddish, and that's how I learned it.

Tehilla

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 11:21 pm
go for the Yiddish, it's a priceless gift for your children.

we speak fluent, proper English as well. I'm also fluent in Spanish, and a little bit of this and that in a few other languages, including growing Hebrew.

Yiddish is so vital! my DDs are in Yiddish only programs, and I'm learning Yiddish with them, and on my own. I love it.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 11:33 pm
BasHinda, you need time to review the Yiddish with your daughter, do you have that time? And in case she can't keep up the next year, you have to be ready to get her extra help.

In BR they have some yiddish anyway. It's not like she won't get at least some of it in the regular curriculum.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 12:01 am
I dont understand, in the yiddish track they dont learn secular studies in english??? in the chaseedishe schools they learn limudei kodesh in yiddish and secular studies in english.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 12:21 am
In the Yiddish class in BR, the girls learn only limudei kodesh both morning and afternoon (although I think they do learn math in the afternoon). Chumash is teitched in Yiddish in all the classes, but the Morah doesn't instruct in Yiddish, unless it's the Yiddish class.

It's hard to remember what my older daughter learned in first grade, but there was a lot of chasidishe history, and what's often included in yahadus curriculum in the afternoon.

In BCM (beis Chaya Mushka) secular studies are introduced only in seventh grade, aside from math, which they've done since first. In the earlier grades, they learned it in a Torah context, using a book called Heilige Numeren, in Yiddish. (learning numbers with Jewish concepts such as computing the 210 years of golus mitzrayim, the 400 years since Bris bein Habesorim, counting the Yidden in the Midbar, calculations of Kiddush HaChodesh, etc. ).

The girls learn alot of Chassidus. They start learning Tanya in seventh grade, and learn many sichos till then.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 12:53 am
I cant understand how you can not learn any secular studies until seventh grade. They dont learn basic spelling and grammar of English until 7th grade??? Wow. Also, I cant even imagine how much limudi kodesh you can learn for six hours a day. I find this very surprising, becaue even in the frummest of the frum chasidishe schools in willy where the English teachers have to speak yiddish to the students during recess time, they learn limudei kodesh in the morning and English in the afternoons.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 1:09 am
Well, the the cheder for boys in which they learn only limudei kodesh was started fifty two years ago, and generations have already proven that it's possible to function in society without the formal secular education.

The yiddish class in BR started about sixteen years ago, and BCM started eight years ago. So applying this concept to girls is relatively new here too, and it's still a pioneering thing to do, BCM is a small school, not everyone feels ready for that.

Although the Yiddish track in BR is in high demand, the school doesn't seem to want it to go up through all the grades, judging by its cutoff by third or fourth grade. They want all girls in a grade to be on a uniform level and curriculum by that time. Those who want Yiddish/limudei kodesh all the way through send to BCM.

chanab

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 8:21 am
TzenaRena wrote:

In BCM (beis Chaya Mushka) secular studies are introduced only in seventh grade, aside from math, which they've done since first. In the earlier grades, they learned it in a Torah context, using a book called Heilige Numeren, in Yiddish. (learning numbers with Jewish concepts such as computing the 210 years of golus mitzrayim, the 400 years since Bris bein Habesorim, counting the Yidden in the Midbar, calculations of Kiddush HaChodesh, etc. ).

Tzena, Do you have any idea how I could get hold of this book(s)? Do you know for what ages it is for?
We BH only speak Yiddish to our kids, the older ones are picking up English now too since my husband and I converse in English and "sfas hamedina" they are of course fluent in.(we don´t live in an English speaking country)

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 9:05 am
The book is really a series, from preschool - writing, counting numbers, then first grade math- addition & subtraction, till about fifth. It's compiled by Chanie Liberov, she and her husband are shluchim in Flatbush.

mommy24

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 9:12 am
The yiddish track in BR is amazing! My only issue is that it is only 1st grade. We do not speak yiddish at home, my yiddish is horrible, but, this was not a problem for my daughter.

As for girls having problems catching up in 2nd grade, I really haven't heard from anyone that their daughters had problems with this.

BasHinda feel free to PM with any questions.

Also Chanab, my son has used the heilege numerin book in school, it is fantastic. I know there is 2 books, not sure if there are more. I do have a name and number in the book, just don't want to put it up here, if you'd like you can PM for it as well.

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 9:51 am
Quote:
my son has used the heilege numerin book in school, it is fantastic

what age was that mommy24?

My 4 yr old counts and adds everything in sight. I would love to get him something he can figure out numbers with but not really be math.

mommy24

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 10:26 am
GR wrote:
Quote:
my son has used the heilege numerin book in school, it is fantastic

what age was that mommy24?

My 4 yr old counts and adds everything in sight. I would love to get him something he can figure out numbers with but not really be math.

My son was 6 when they stated using it in school. My son would always be adding and subtracting asking me questions, etc. This book is great, for him it was little too easy, but he loved it none the less.

As I was typing this I decided to show the book to my 4 yr old. He liked it and was able to do the work, or at least the counting and matching.

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 10:37 am
Thank you! Sounds great!

Now how do I get it? Confused

mommy24

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 10:42 am
GR wrote:
Thank you! Sounds great!

Now how do I get it? Confused

I PMed you.

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 11:22 am