Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Mrs. Mertzbach. Brainstorm.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 2:53 am
Anyone did it? What did you do it for? Did it help?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 1:28 pm
Anyone? She's in Monsey.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 4:37 pm
I know my parents sent my brother to her and she helped him.

She is such a nice woman.

I can ask my mother for deets. You can pm me.

polka dots

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 5:07 pm
You can pm me

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 7:49 pm
Any experience specifically with ADD? Are all her trained students good? I wish I can choose a teacher for my child.

bobeli

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 10:37 pm
any updates?
pm if you don't want to post

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:40 am
Would also love to hear some additional info on her method as I’m strongly considering taking my ten year old for an evaluation. She does not have any learning disabilities but she seems to be having mild sensory issues that seems to be getting worse with age. People would consider her social but I see how much peer pressure she has.... lots of these little details are making me concerned and someone suggested I bring her here for an evaluation. Any feedback would be appreciated.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:43 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Would also love to hear some additional info on her method as I’m strongly considering taking my ten year old for an evaluation. She does not have any learning disabilities but she seems to be having mild sensory issues that seems to be getting worse with age. People would consider her social but I see how much peer pressure she has.... lots of these little details are making me concerned and someone suggested I bring her here for an evaluation. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know nothing about this woman, but why don't you try OT?
I saw wonderful results BH with OT for mildish sensory.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:50 am
She has some behavioral issues as well that we parents are concerned about, and being that I mentioned my issues to someone who has gone through her program,she asked my whether my daughter crawled on all four as a baby? When I told her that not, she strongly encouraged me to give the program a try as this is one of the first questions they ask at the evaluation. But it’s still a lot of money so would love to hear some more feedback.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:51 am
Who is this woman? Never heard of her.
Does she help with ADD? Autism?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:56 am
She has some behavioral issues as well that we parents are concerned about, and being that I mentioned my issues to someone who has gone through her program,she asked my whether my daughter crawled on all four as a baby? When I told her that not, she strongly encouraged me to give the program a try as this is one of the first questions they ask at the evaluation. But it’s still a lot of money so would love to hear some more feedback.

I actually thought my child was very low key ADD, if there is such a thing, because of the behavorial issues.
Surprising enough, the evaulation proved it was sensory.
When I learned more about sensory, I realized how it makes sense.
All the behavioral issues I was concerned about were BH taken care of to a huge degree by OT.
Can you get OT through insurance? If yes, it doesn't hurt to evaluate and try it, over spending out of pocket.
And a lot of OTs believe in the 'not crawling' belief as well.
There's actually an OT in Monsey who gives classes on the importance of it, and how to teach kids to do it.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:57 am
Unfortunately I don’t know too many details either... just know that she’s a wonderful lady who follows a program called brainstorm. She claims the program has a 99.9 percent success rate. I know of schools who refer parents to Her as they’ve seen unbelievable results in other kids. From what I’ve heard I gather that she has trained mentors who do the exercises and she only does evals and follow ups

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:00 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I actually thought my child was very low key ADD, if there is such a thing, because of the behavorial issues.
Surprising enough, the evaulation proved it was sensory.
When I learned more about sensory, I realized how it makes sense.
All the behavioral issues I was concerned about were BH taken care of to a huge degree by OT.
Can you get OT through insurance? If yes, it doesn't hurt to evaluate and try it, over spending out of pocket.
And a lot of OTs believe in the 'not crawling' belief as well.
There's actually an OT in Monsey who gives classes on the importance of it, and how to teach kids to do it.

Your might be right. May I ask how old your child was when you did OT? Was she always sensory,or did it get worse with age?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:01 am
Your might be right. May I ask how old your child was when you did OT? Was she always sensory,or did it get worse with age?

She had her issues since she was 2. Maybe earlier but I don't remember. It evolved as she got older. She was evaluated in 1st grade.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:13 am
My daughter is in fourth grade now. Never had issues in school besides for the fact that her teachers would comment that she can space out in class, yet she scores well. She finds writing hard for her , but does it nonetheless cause that’s what’s expected of her. I always blamed it on her perfectionism, but maybe you got me thinking it has to do with sensory as well. I can’t recall her giving me a hard time with her clothing as a young child, but the last year or two she’s being extremely picky in what she will wear or not.... yet she also has other behavioral issues that might or might not be related....
She tends to be very manipulative to her siblings... she has no problem answering Chutzpahdik to me or dh... I can be the best mother one minute and the worst the next... when having friends over she seems to be very self centered which at this age is starting to concern us....
She basically acts like a bossy bratty moody teenager way before her time...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:27 am
My daughter is in fourth grade now. Never had issues in school besides for the fact that her teachers would comment that she can space out in class, yet she scores well. She finds writing hard for her , but does it nonetheless cause that’s what’s expected of her. I always blamed it on her perfectionism, but maybe you got me thinking it has to do with sensory as well. I can’t recall her giving me a hard time with her clothing as a young child, but the last year or two she’s being extremely picky in what she will wear or not.... yet she also has other behavioral issues that might or might not be related....
She tends to be very manipulative to her siblings... she has no problem answering Chutzpahdik to me or dh... I can be the best mother one minute and the worst the next... when having friends over she seems to be very self centered which at this age is starting to concern us....
She basically acts like a bossy bratty moody teenager way before her time...

Some of DD overlap somewhat, but its not that much the same. That said, sensory manifests in many different ways. There's the need for input and the aversion to input. Two opposites, but both are sensory.
In any event, it doesn't really matter what my child had/has. There are so many different issues out there, and a proper eval is needed in order to asses and diagnose. My main point is that I'd rule out other options before paying out of pocket.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 5:48 am
double post

Last edited by amother on Wed, Feb 19 2020, 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 5:48 am
I don't know too much about the program although shes mentioned it to me. But I do know that shes the nicest woman, warm, loving and caring and is very driven to see results.

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 2:40 pm
Bump

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 12:32 am
amother [ Sunflower ] wrote:
Bump

What would you like to know?
My child Baruch Hashem graduated from the program recently, and is doing really well bh.
I started taking my son too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children