Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do I dump my Achva Whole Tahini?

Mevater

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 7:08 am

https://www.fda.gov/safety/rec.....arons

Company Announcement
Achdut LTD. of Ariel, Israel, is recalling its Tahini products of all packages and sizes produced on the following dates: April 7th to May 21st 2018, because it may be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (I.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.

The recalled "Tahini" was distributed internationally in retail stores and through mail orders.

The tahini products are Tahini, Whole Tahini, Organic Tahini and Seasoned Tahini. Container sizes: 15oz, 16oz, 17.6oz, 635 oz (428g, 454g, 500g, 18Kg), with lot numbers 18-097 to 18-141 or with expiration dates April 7th to May 21st 2020,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My jar of Tahini says:

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 7:15 am
This happened a couple of months ago also. But we have the same question as you because there are no dates mentioned on the entire container. I’ve used ours a couple of times and nobody got sick.

Now I see the lot numbers mentioned. I believe yours is fine.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Tue, Jul 23 2019, 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total

normal1

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 7:16 am
If it’s part of a recall You should only discard it if you value your health more than~$5

yersp

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 7:20 am
When in doubt, throw it out

As the previos poster said (sorry didn't catch your name when clicking post reply Smile ) It's not worth risking your health to save a few dollars.
Don't take the chance.

Mevater

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 7:44 am
Shucks! Just when I discovered Tahini. This s the first time I bought it.

Joy of Kosher has loads of recipes with Tahini.

https://www.joyofkosher.com/gu.....hini/

Anyone know which of these EWG approved brands (the lower the score, the healthier the product) are kosher?

https://www.ewg.org/foodscores.....ahini

I see this is Kosher.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 10:07 am
Thanks for posting. I just bought a new bottle that's in the recalled lot numbers.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 10:33 am
normal1 wrote:
If it’s part of a recall You should only discard it if you value your health more than~$5

That's how much it costs? Wow, things are usually double the price, but the tahini I've seen now is about $15. I would still rather buy it than the ones from here. No comparison in taste between the Israeli ones and not.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 2:13 pm
My favorite tahini is Shirley Barr. But Trader Joe's Tahini is a close second and better priced.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen