Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Nickname for Devorah
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:29 am
I just gave birth to one Smile I love the name, especially with the Israeli pronunciation (we're in Israel). My husband uses the "DevOIrah" pronunciation, and that needs to grow on me a bit more. My preschool-aged kids were disturbed that it means bee, but I told them they could use the American pronunciation instead of Israeli so it doesn't sound like the Hebrew word. They said then it was okay. I think they're used to it now... No nickname here, but I think I kind of like Rorie if you need one.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:07 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I don’t think there’s a point in discussing further. I’m not offended- it’s not even my name but if you can’t hear why you have to voice opinion in a nice tone then something is off.

I thought I did it in a nice tone. TMI
I was being fairly honest, I don't have a specific reason to dislike it, nor do I really hate the name. I just hear it a lot and I'm kinda sick of hearing it around me. I have family with that name, in my head naming my kid Devorah is like "oh another devorah".

I didn't think I came across as mean..

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:29 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I thought I did it in a nice tone. TMI
I was being fairly honest, I don't have a specific reason to dislike it, nor do I really hate the name. I just hear it a lot and I'm kinda sick of hearing it around me. I have family with that name, in my head naming my kid Devorah is like "oh another devorah".

I didn't think I came across as mean..

If it helps at all, I don't think you said anything wrong. You explained you have a sister and SIL with the name, and you want something different. Makes sense to me. But I'm not so sensitive like many others here...

I agree it would be somewhat hurtful for someone to say they don't like my name, even on an anonymous forum, but not so much in an insulted way. More like "Oh I thought I have such a nice name, and she doesn't. That's kind of disappointing. Oh well..."

But the same would happen if someone suggests a dress for someone else and they say they don't like it. And it's my favorite dress... it happens. I don't think we can't ever say we don't like something. I guess we can try to go with "I prefer something else," "It doesn't suit me," and the like when possible.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:50 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
If it helps at all, I don't think you said anything wrong. You explained you have a sister and SIL with the name, and you want something different. Makes sense to me. But I'm not so sensitive like many others here...

I agree it would be somewhat hurtful for someone to say they don't like my name, even on an anonymous forum, but not so much in an insulted way. More like "Oh I thought I have such a nice name, and she doesn't. That's kind of disappointing. Oh well..."

But the same would happen if someone suggests a dress for someone else and they say they don't like it. And it's my favorite dress... it happens. I don't think we can't ever say we don't like something. I guess we can try to go with "I prefer something else," "It doesn't suit me," and the like when possible.

It was the way she phrased it- there’s a difference between saying I’m sick of your name and saying I hear the name so often so I prefer an uncommon name.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:03 am
Rora

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:20 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

But the thread wasn't about someone who was suggesting Devorah was such a pretty name and wanted to know others thoughts. It was about someone saying I have this dress I don't like, how can I improve it?

It would be rude for me to go on random other threads and say I dislike the name Devorah and I'm sick of it. But the OP was LITERALLY about not liking the name! If you have the name Devorah then don't read a whole thread about people trying to make it sound "not so bad". Then according to that logic the entire thread is offensive. It's a bunch of people trying to improve the name Devorah to sound passable so she can somewhat tolerate the name.

cbg

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:31 am
I second Vorie

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:55 am
Hey, hey, hey, chill! Okay? I love my name and carry it with pride. I wouldn't want any other name and I'm not in the least bit insulted that others don't like it.
Though I am gonna say that saying you're sick of a name is not very nice, no difference what the name is, it's just a bit of a harsh comment. You can like a name and you can dislike a name, but to be SICK of it... well, I just wouldn't talk that way.
Signed, Devorah Smile
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names