Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Cars- the name or is it better?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 5:34 am
A b'h well to do cousin gave me a ride in their car. It was a Lexus minivan. It made me wonder, do you think most people get a car like that for its name or is it better?

When we got a car, we got for quality that was in our price range.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:08 am
Had to google it, I've never seen a lexus minivan- didn't know they made one! And wow talk about things you can't unsee, that has to be the most hideous car I've ever seen.

Can't really say what would posses someone to buy that

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:17 am
Each car is different.
You tell us if it's actually better : )

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:29 am
I'm sure it's more comfortable and has othe perks. (I wouldn't know firsthand, but luxury cars do usually have perks!)

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 7:33 am
I bought a new car last year and did buy a Lexus (not a mini van though).

I had read reviews of cars and reliability was the most important thing for me. I keep my cars for a LONG time as the car I was replacing was 15 years old. It had given me good service but had gotten to the point where it made no sense to make an expensive repair.

Based on reviews, I visited Toyota, Honda and Lexus. There were other brands that were well reviewed but I eliminated them because the dealers weren't convenient and so I would have had to shlep for maintenance as I take my cars to the dealers for repairs and normal maintenance.

I liked the Honda Accord and then I visited the Lexus dealer. The price difference going out the door for the Lexus was $10,000 as between the Honda. I have owned two Hondas in my life and they were excellent reliable cars. The Lexus is an excellent reliable car but it does elevate the driving experience - it is more comfortable in terms of the seats and is more aesthetically pleasing in terms of the finishes.

I also didn't like the people at the Honda dealers. I had gone in and told the salesperson that I was planning to buy a car that day (or in the next few days) and I didn't want to play games. This was the model I wanted and he needed to tell me what the price would be. He told me the price and I thanked him and told him that I was going to take a look at the Lexus and started walking out at which point the men called to me and gave me the classic cars sales line - what would it take for me to buy the car and that disgusted me because I had been completely upfront about not wanting to play the stupid sales games.

I did go home and ponder whether I should go with the less expensive Honda but ultimately went with the Lexus. The price differential for the amount of time I would keep the car wasn't that significant and I could afford it - I was paying cash for either car. I liked the car and I also liked the straightforward approach of Lexus dealers. I don't know if it is true of all Lexus dealers but the one I used doesn't have their sales people on commissions so there is less of a sales tactic being used.

I am delighted with my Lexus - it's beautiful, reliable and comfortable. I was also happy with my Honda Accord but my economic situation was different when I was buying my car this time. So what am I saying - a Lexus like any other material possession is nicer than the less expensive Honda but both are reliable comfortable safe autos. It's the same as furniture or clothing or anything else. A cashmere sweater feels nicer than a knit polyester - a Bassett table is nicer than one from IKEA and so forth.

I don't believe in low quality but it's difficult to justify purchasing a Lexus versus a Toyota/Honda as anything other than a splurge on a nicer experience versus a straight rational economic decision.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics