Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Moving to Israel for one year-with kids
Previous  1  2  3  Next

essie14

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 12:44 pm
They will be on a bagrut track - starting from 9th grade, school is geared towards these exams. The curriculum may not match what they would otherwise be studying in the US. If you are planning to go back after a year, they may have missed out on too much crucial HS class in the US and it may make SATs (Regents if applicable) and other exams difficult.

In terms of acclimating to life here, it takes a good amount of time and by the time they are comfortable in school and with friends, you are going to pull them out. I have a friend who made aliyah with a pre-teen and the girl was in 2 schools her first year and 2 diff schools her second year until she found the right fit. When someone is in it for the long haul, they do what they have to do. The parents spent 2 years in meetings with principals, counselors, government school officials, etc. It wasn't an easy process.
Her daughter needed tutoring to get her back on to her grade level (and this was all within Israel) simply because of all the school she missed due to the switching.

I'm just trying to present some facts to you. Hope this is helpful.

dena613

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 12:56 pm
Just wondering, for those who say huh can get healthcare and visa, what visa would it be?
Kollel families get A2... Student and student dependent...

It sound like OP is planning a year off vacation in Israel. What visa?

(I'm genuinely asking bc I don't know.)

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 12:58 pm
I think if you are Jewish they don't give you any trouble about just renewing your tourist visa every few months

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 9:58 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I think if you are Jewish they don't give you any trouble about just renewing your tourist visa every few months

I don't think that's true. I know an elderly woman who has to leave the country every three months because she doesn't want to make aliyah.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:03 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I don't think that's true. I know an elderly woman who has to leave the country every three months because she doesn't want to make aliyah.

Is she afraid of being drafted?

It's true that you can't renew a tourist visa for years at a time, but a year should be fine. In parts of Jerusalem, and in Anglo strongholds (both charedi and dati leumi) this is quite common.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:16 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Is she afraid of being drafted?

It's true that you can't renew a tourist visa for years at a time, but a year should be fine. In parts of Jerusalem, and in Anglo strongholds (both charedi and dati leumi) this is quite common.

Off topic: she's probably wealthy and pays less taxes by not making Aliyah.

giselle

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:25 am
The one family I knew who did this, the kids got pretty messed up, and people claimed it was because of this. Take it or leave it.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The kids will be somewhat older. I'm thinking of doing this in a few years. By then my youngest will be 13 and oldest 17. We all have a sense of adventure. My DH would visit for holidays. I traveled alone with my kids before plenty of times. But yes, being in a foreign country with kids, for so long, is totally different.

I don't need the "you're crazy" comments unless they come with practical statistics such as, medical insurance is impossible to get and you will pay out of pocket 5 x the going rate to be seen in a clinic.

Or, kids can't be enrolled in school unless they are "citizens"...

I need practicalities. Not emotional reactions.

This sounds like great fun! I love it!

I've never tried to live here as a non-citizen, but maybe check with blessedjmom - she can give you her perspective on living it year to year here, and information about things like private health insurance.

There are definitely schools you could get into, but why not homeschool? You'll be able to push your kids ahead of the curve, and have the time for all the sightseeing and cultural immersion that you want.

Yerushalayim can be expensive, but keep your eye out online. There are often sublets for the right price, from people whom are doing just what you're doing: taking off to a different country for a few months to a year.

Please keep us updated on your journey! I'd love to hear more!

salt

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 4:48 am
Rappel wrote:
This sounds like great fun! I love it!

I've never tried to live here as a non-citizen, but maybe check with blessedjmom - she can give you her perspective on living it year to year here, and information about things like private health insurance.

There are definitely schools you could get into, but why not homeschool? You'll be able to push your kids ahead of the curve, and have the time for all the sightseeing and cultural immersion that you want.

Yerushalayim can be expensive, but keep your eye out online. There are often sublets for the right price, from people whom are doing just what you're doing: taking off to a different country for a few months to a year.

Please keep us updated on your journey! I'd love to hear more!

I'm not sure they will acheive cultural immersion if the kids are not in school. That's where kids will get their culture from. And if they're the adventurous types, and sociable, they will have a great experience.
By homeschooling, you'll just be in and amongst yourselves they whole day, and won't get out and meet new people.
I'm not sure it will be the same as a 2 week vacation, only longer - if that's what you're thinking.
When you're on vacation, you pack your days, and you fill each minute, do do fun things, you eat out, etc. When you're here for a year, you live day-to-day life. What will you do all day? What do you do now? Do you work? Do you speak Hebrew? You many need a more English-speaking community that Tzfat. Tzfat is nice for a vacation, but a year is not vacation. It's living.

I know families who came for a year. Either on a pilot trip, or if they had a sabbitcal year or something. Some found it hard, but I think they usually enjoyed it.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 4:56 am
salt wrote:
I'm not sure they will acheive cultural immersion if the kids are not in school. That's where kids will get their culture from. And if they're the adventurous types, and sociable, they will have a great experience.
By homeschooling, you'll just be in and amongst yourselves they whole day, and won't get out and meet new people.
I'm not sure it will be the same as a 2 week vacation, only longer - if that's what you're thinking.
When you're on vacation, you pack your days, and you fill each minute, do do fun things, you eat out, etc. When you're here for a year, you live day-to-day life. What will you do all day? What do you do now? Do you work? Do you speak Hebrew? You many need a more English-speaking community that Tzfat. Tzfat is nice for a vacation, but a year is not vacation. It's living.

I know families who came for a year. Either on a pilot trip, or if they had a sabbitcal year or something. Some found it hard, but I think they usually enjoyed it.

Some cultural immersion happens in school, but there are plenty of after-school programs and activities for kids, everywhere, which they can sign up for.

Since OP isn't thinking long term, I don't see why she should have to go through the adjustment period of living in Israel. Just meet people, study in ulpan or whatever, see the land, and enjoy. Maybe even get a camper, and travel around the country. If Israel is one year, then it should be a good year.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 5:34 am
I'm living in Yerushalayim for quite a few years with my kids.
We go to Misrad Hapnim approximately every 3-5 years to renew our Visa. We started with student Visas, but we now have working permits.
We have bituach leumi and meuchedet, which is medical insurance.
I don't know how to go about arranging all that, it's my husband's department, but it's definitely doable.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:37 am
Most people I know who do this type of thing do it when their kids are much younger. Its tough to do with teenagers.

On the one hand, your kids will learn hebrew which will help them academically. But other subjects are completely different.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:13 am
Raisin wrote:
Most people I know who do this type of thing do it when their kids are much younger. Its tough to do with teenagers.

On the one hand, your kids will learn hebrew which will help them academically. But other subjects are completely different.

This. Would your 17 year old be ok missing their senior year?

paperflowers

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:32 am
I heard about a school that takes American state tests. I know someone who made Aliya in high school and was planning on attending there (not sure if she did in the end). I know nothing about this school hashkafically. I think it’s in kiryat yovel.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:43 am
I wouldn't do it. Based on my experience with close friends who did this ten years ago, and she's still there and and the dh is still in the US, and the kids are some of each. Unlike what a poster above wrote, it's really challenging for both the the kids and the marriage.

What happens when after a year of acclimating, some of the kids want to stay and so do you? You've had an entire year of new experiences and new chevrah that dh has little to do with. Maybe the traveling back and forth doesn't go so easily. Maybe the kids feel conflicted, like they're choosing a parent. Maybe one or two of them don't adjust so well and decide they want to go back and live in the US with their father.

I would do a summer instead.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:51 am
if your kids are teenagers please make sure you and they will not have any issues with the army regarding draft notices or anything
I am assuming neither you nor DH have israeli citizenship which then for sure you must address this; however, its good to double check everything

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:51 am
Also, how does dh feel about this plan? It leaves him basically on his own for a year. I know someone who did something similar (not international- she took a sabbatical across the country) because her marriage wasn't great and it was a trial separation.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:52 am
I know a family whose done this a few times (every three years or so). They didn't come for a full school year but for 4-6 months at a time. The children went to schools with a huge Anglo student body. They didn't necessarily learn much but had a social life with local children.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 9:27 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Also, how does dh feel about this plan? It leaves him basically on his own for a year. I know someone who did something similar (not international- she took a sabbatical across the country) because her marriage wasn't great and it was a trial separation.

At this point, I think my DH can only think of a quiet house, no lunches to make, no carpooling to/from school and activities, only chores when he wants to do them. Only has to worry about himself for a year. It's also an in-place sabbatical for him. As one poster pointed out, the more challenging part might be re-acclimating when we are all back together. Something to think about. But then, IYH, my DD would be getting ready to go off to seminary by then. It's a new stage of life.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:29 am
paperflowers wrote:
I heard about a school that takes American state tests. I know someone who made Aliya in high school and was planning on attending there (not sure if she did in the end). I know nothing about this school hashkafically. I think it’s in kiryat yovel.
You are talking about YTA. It is in Ramot now (I worked there a few years ago)
This school is for students who have made aliyah (at any point) and the integration into israeli school system is not working.
But I think that they have to be citizens (I remember we had a very hard time with one student as she was not a citizen and it was a whole story)
It is modern orthdox (many girls are VERY modern) But it is a perfect school for someone coming from america during high school. But there is also bagruyot that are part of the school curriculum, so that might be hard.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions