Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Stainless steel or white kitchen sink
1  2  Next

Joy of Motherhood

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 1:03 pm
I'm putting in a new kitchen. What sink would you recommend stainless steel or a white sink? If doing a white sink which is more practical granite or fireclay?

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 1:24 pm
Stainless can be kashered. Porcelain can’t. Other materials vary. Natural stone can be kashered; I’m not sure about Corian and similar materials. If you get granite, make sure it’s natural stone, not engineered stone which is crushed stone in a resin matrix. Engineered stone can’t be kashered. I don’t know what fireclay is but if it’s a fancy word for ceramic tile, don’t. All you need to do is drop a nice heavy pot on it and there goes your investment, shattered.

I would go for stainless in any case because a white sink will eventually stain, whether it’s porcelain or Corian or anything else. OTOH, Corian can be made in one piece with the counter so you don’t have that groove to trap dirt between the sink and the surround.

Last edited by zaq on Wed, Jul 24 2019, 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

flmommy

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 1:26 pm
I love my stainless sinks.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 1:28 pm
Another vote for stainless steel

Adela

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 1:32 pm
Definitely stainless steel! White sinks look nice for a day then they get stained and horrible.

Love when the stainless steel sinks are gleaming!

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 2:44 pm
I always loved the look of a big white farmhouse style sink. BUT I would never put in a sink I can't kasher. Plus porcelain chips. Stainless all the way.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 2:54 pm
Stainless Steel. White sinks get stained and chipped.
As a designer, we always talk our clients out of getting the white sinks...

etky

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:06 pm
Also, anything you accidentally drop in a stainless sink has a better chance of surviving than if you had dropped it in a ceramic sink. Stainless is softer.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:20 pm
Stainless

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:22 pm
Disclaimer: I work at www.qualitybath.com

Fireclay is gorgeous but as others have said, you can’t kasher it and it can chip. If you like the look, this is the best price you’ll find for a top quality fireclay sink: https://www.qualitybath.com/la.....2.htm

It’s rare to find a pure granite sink today, most quartz and granite sinks (it’s the same thing, just different marketing terms) are engineered, which means they’re mixed with resin. They are gorgeous, very durable, and come in many colors. You can read up all about quartz/granite sinks here: https://www.qualitybath.com/di.....now-2

Stainless is obviously the most popular. Even with stainless, the quality will vary based on the gauge of the steel. You can all about it here: https://www.qualitybath.com/di.....-know

One last tip: showrooms provide excellent service but you’re definitely paying more when you buy from a showroom. We try to mitigate the risk of buying online with outstanding customer service, so you get the showroom experience at a much lower cost for quality items.

Whichever way you go, good luck!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:23 pm
Stainless is so much easier to clean.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:28 pm
Ok I’ll be the odd one out here.
I have stainless now cuz it came with the kitchen and dislike it. I had white sinks for many years and it held up pretty well. I love the look of white. It gives an airy fresh look to the kitchen and Bar keepers friend is great as a stain removal.
For me only white and not the fireclay one. The stainless scratches too, btw.

estreya

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:29 pm
farmhouse style = pretty; stainless = practical.

I vote stainless -- especially for kashrut (and pesach) reasons.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:41 pm
I've had both. While white porcelain is a classic, timeless look that will fit any era of house, it's a pain to keep sparkling clean.

Stainless is so forgiving, so kasherable, it's really the only option worth considering.

The only time I have not used stainless, was when I was doing truly historic renovations (my favorite.)

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:21 pm
I have a copper farmhouse sink and I love it. My kitchen was inspired by the Arts & Crafts Style so it complements the look as I have other copper accents like the hood

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 5:40 pm
Stainless mounted under the counter. Hands down.
My mom babies her white sinks and they are almost 4 decades old. But I still wouldn't get them if I had the choice.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 5:58 pm
You can kasher metal sinks. In my kitchen design business, I have had exactly one kosher client who went with a white sink. I put stainless farmhouse sinks in my own kitchen.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 9:28 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
You can kasher metal sinks. In my kitchen design business, I have had exactly one kosher client who went with a white sink. I put stainless farmhouse sinks in my own kitchen.

May I ask why you chose the farmhouse over undermount?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:40 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
May I ask why you chose the farmhouse over undermount?

Probably for the look. Someone else mentioned that she has copper; apron sinks come in many materials (stainless, fireclay, copper, concrete, stone, etc.) and they’re beautiful. Personally I am building a house now and am leaning toward a Latoscana farmhouse sink.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:50 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Probably for the look. Someone else mentioned that she has copper; apron sinks come in many materials (stainless, fireclay, copper, concrete, stone, etc.) and they’re beautiful. Personally I am building a house now and am leaning toward a Latoscana farmhouse sink.

Hey Taupe, go Latoscana LOL Good choice!

FYI farmhouse sinks can be undermounted, so it's not one over the other.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen