Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Changing the education system...take 2
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:47 pm
behappy2 wrote:
I really think we don't give enough credit to how hard it is to run a school. The day we are all ready to pay 1200 dollars tuition for the school year we can maybe start talking. Whoever wants can homeschool and hire private tutors. I used to have these conversations when I was a teen. Then I became a teacher and saw how really hard it was and the mesiras nefesh of the staff....I started singing a different tune.

I agree with you. Im a teacher too, and a lot of the proposals here require a lot more staff and some ideas are not realistic. This is because a lot of ppl suggesting these ideas dont know how it is to run a school and how it is to teach an entire class. Teaching/managing your child one on one is very very different than one teacher teaching an entire class. In addition, many parents dont realize there are state laws about whats required to be taught.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:57 pm
some people pay 12000 for tuition... or more.

behappy2

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 7:05 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I assume this is a typo. $1200+ per month is more like it.
o

I meant to write $12,000 a year.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 8:10 pm
so behappy2 if the school does get 12,000 for our kid can we then expect it to be to our liking Wink? or does it have to be for every child?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 8:21 pm
Personally, I'd rather the schools be minimally staffed and do a minimally ok job, and pay 5k a year, and supplement whatever my kid needed w my own money.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 8:24 pm
Money is only part of it.

Chinuch has been sort of running on the lines of "this is how it's done" for so long, only minor changes ever seem to be to be made.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 8:25 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Personally, I'd rather the schools be minimally staffed and do a minimally ok job, and pay 5k a year, and supplement whatever my kid needed w my own money.

Yup, an la carte education would be very helpful.

simcha2

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 8:25 pm
This somewhat describes one of the schools we send to. MO oot yeshiva. It's $18,000 a year elementary.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 8:27 pm
Maybe it’s what make kids not happy to go to school. My kids are pretty easy going and go to a good school with school through July.
We were just joking how they aren’t even counting down the days until school ends. It’s not that they love school but they are really happy. My 12 yr old son hates being pulled out of class for speech because of everything he misses
I don’t think my girls are any less happy

I think teachers who can control a class without discipline and a school that is run well gives kids security and makes them happy

I don’t know that they are getting the best education but they are thrilled to go everyday and are happy and have great self confidence. And are learning what they will need for life.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 8:30 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
That's pretty much the MO model.

Yup MO schools offer all of that. They are expensive though.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 9:20 pm
salmon- really? In our OOT community I feel like the schools keep "changing" trying to be better and better. Some changes I don't like but they are definitely not static. I wish I could figure out better what they will be since it's so hard to predict since they keep changing!

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 9:33 pm
behappy2 wrote:
I really think we don't give enough credit to how hard it is to run a school. The day we are all ready to pay 1200 dollars tuition for the school year we can maybe start talking. Whoever wants can homeschool and hire private tutors. I used to have these conversations when I was a teen. Then I became a teacher and saw how really hard it was and the mesiras nefesh of the staff....I started singing a different tune.

I assume that was a typo and you meant 12,000.

Plenty of MO schools offer the perks that posters here dream of having. As you say, these things cost a lot of money. Halevai that tuition should be only 12k a year. In this model, it's the parents who are moser nefesh to pay top dollar for the best education they can get. Not that the system is perfect, but it's very, very good.

salt

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 6:17 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I live oot. My kids go to regular yeshivish schools and by’s. They all love their schools. Not sure what the problem is

I think the posters who want a change in the school system are parents of your regular 'fit-in-the-box' students. The less academic students, who can't get good grades, even when they try, and just can't sit though a 45 minute algebra lesson, or can't get the hang of reading Rashi, but on the other hand, they don't need special-ed - these types of kids need the 'extras', and the flexibility that the posters are talking about here.

Bobbywobby

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 8:30 am
Some of the changes mentioned here sound amazing but probably are a little unrealistic. I would like to see more of a positive discipline type of mentality from the school staff. Teachers, is there room for empathy in a classroom situation? Is it possible to create an environment where our kids can feel emotionally safe? If they are struggling to keep up with the class can they be commended for what they have accomplished? And on a basic level, do they have to be terrified to leave the room to go to the bathroom?

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 9:11 am
what are you talking about?!

many kids through the system have never seen this B"H

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 9:17 am
Bobbywobby wrote:
Some of the changes mentioned here sound amazing but probably are a little unrealistic. I would like to see more of a positive discipline type of mentality from the school staff. Teachers, is there room for empathy in a classroom situation? Is it possible to create an environment where our kids can feel emotionally safe? If they are struggling to keep up with the class can they be commended for what they have accomplished? And on a basic level, do they have to be terrified to leave the room to go to the bathroom?

Ridiculous.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 9:18 am
I'm very confused. None of my friends kids in NY or oot are afraid to go to the bathroom

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 9:36 am
behappy2 wrote:
o

I meant to write $12,000 a year.

$12,000 a year per child wouldn't work for most families. The dream school will be closer to $15,000 a year.

We are already paying close to that and getting a bare bones education.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 9:38 am
brunette- what percentage of families are on scholarship? how much fundraising does the school do?

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 9:43 am
Our oot school has a high percentage of students on scholarship, but teachers are usually parents and their kids get a big break. It's a win win because the school doesn't have to pay most teachers, the families get a break, and most of the costs are non parent teachers and overhead.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics