Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
"Best things come in small packages" said to a tall person
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Laiya

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 11:52 am
nchr wrote:
Shorter individuals, especially shorter females, are statistically at a greater risk of experiencing all of those negatives.

Saying you're "used to being short" is saying you're so "used to" having a disadvantage in many areas of life, including your physical and mental health, that even if there was a choice, you'd still choose to stay disadvantaged.

It sounds like you're trying to convince people, who have said that they're happy with the body they were given and have no power to change, that deep down they must really not be happy.

It's hard to see what benefit can possibly come from this line of thought, and it's impossible to respond to because it's speculative and involves reading people's subconscious feelings.

Personally I wouldn't say that I'm "used to" being short, I *am* short. If I weren't, I wouldn't be me. It's part of my identity, good bad or otherwise. How would you respond to your dc who is not happy with a physical characteristic that cannot be changed?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 11:55 am
Haven't read this whole thread...but I'd like to introduce your aunt to a relative of mine who was always commenting on one of my sibling's weight. She once asked my sister if she was pg, and when sis said she wasn't, she said "well, you can't fault me for asking."

I would think they could be really good friends.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:23 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
But why would you pursue it?! Why would you subject a kid to years of artificial hormones just to increase a NORMAL height?!

Because my sister was not happy being told she may be just 5'5 and it bothered her. She also loved playing tennis and being 5'5 is a serious disadvantage. Because she did not mind subjecting herself to that. Because being taller is generally healthier than being short. We give vaccines to protect ourselves, get nose jobs if we are very self conscious about a nose, so why not allow a preteen who is sure she wants to be taller to have that choice when there are options available?

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:25 pm
I'm almost 5"4. My sister is almost 5"10 and my brothers go up from there. My dh is 6 ft. I would never ever ever give my children hormones so that my dd could be taller then me. You don't just give hormones for the fun of it. I would strongly suggest you look in to the long term ramifications of hormones.

I've never been jealous of my my sister. I love her and being tall is part of her and being "shorter" is part of me. 5"4 isn't even short!

I haven't come to terms with it or anything, it's a complete non issue. Why would I feel self conscious at 5"4.

Why is being 6"3 better then 6 ft. I just don't get this thought process at all

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:25 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
They won't give it to a boy unless his expected final height is 5"3 or less. Being 5"4 is not considered a health risk.

That's not true. If you are a boy and under 5'3 or a girl and projected to be under 4'11 it is likely you have a medical reason why and it is easier to qualify for insurance purposes, but I personally know two people who elected to receive HGH and had no issue at all - two different doctors- two different insurances - both children who would have otherwise been normal or above normal heights. It's just more difficult to have it covered by insurance. You can elect to have a nose job, but unless you have a deviated septum, etc. may need to pay for it. Growth hormone is the same. It is not a harmful sustance and there are basically no drawbacks to using it unless you are afraid of needles.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:28 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Age 16 might be too late anyway. Once puberty ends, once the growth plates close. The person you know, and even your parents re your sister, may not have told you everything.

Yes I know everything because I am the one who dealt with the insurance. The doctor analyzes bone age and it has to do with the age of the bones. My sister, for example, got her period at 17. My brothers grew after their weddings. So the doctor analyzes each individuals bone age differently or based on other factors. The family friend has a daughter who has been taking it for several years because she was literally crying everyday since her younger sister was much taller than her. Her mother is also reletively short (like 5'2) and always said she would do anything she can to ensure her children can be as tall as possible, if they desire.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:28 pm
nchr wrote:
I find that really hard to believe. Maybe you're comfortable in your own skin, and there is nothing to be ashamed of for being short, but I am not going to believe that you really would prefer to be 5'1 than 5'9. Maybe if we were talking about 6'3, but not 5'9...

Why is it so hard for you to believe that I don’t revere tall people? I find it really strange that you think everybody wants to be tall! 🤔

And yes I am comfortable in my own skin. Why is that so unusual? I find your take on height bizarre!

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:31 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
That's not true. If you are a boy and under 5'3 or a girl and projected to be under 4'11 it is likely you have a medical reason why and it is easier to qualify for insurance purposes, but I personally know two people who elected to receive HGH and had no issue at all - two different doctors- two different insurances - both children who would have otherwise been normal or above normal heights. It's just more difficult to have it covered by insurance. You can elect to have a nose job, but unless you have a deviated septum, etc. may need to pay for it. Growth hormone is the same. It is not a harmful sustance and there are basically no drawbacks to using it unless you are afraid of needles.

There are some possible reported side effects to HGH injections such as cancer, but like you say, it is elective.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:34 pm
jerusalem90 wrote:
I think it's the opposite straight hair/ curly hair thing for women. With hair most want the opposite, with height it seems most see an advantage to what they've got.

I love that I have wavy hair too. I guess I am comfortable in my own skin. How dare I! LOL

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:36 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

I literally had this conversation with my pediatrician yesterday, and that is what he said. It's not done for a boy 5'3 or over.

As far as no harmful effects, it hasn't been around long enough to study the life-long effects. But I hope you're right.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:36 pm
nchr wrote:
Used to what? Being at a higher risk for health problem such as obesity, diabetes, dementia, depression, heart disease etc.? Being unable to have the same physical power or natural attraction as a taller person? Yes, short people can be strong and beautiful, but being tall naturally helps those things? Be paid less and less successful at work? Be less intelligent and less confident? These are statistics and generalizations, but they are true and proven in our society.

What is your agenda? To prove to us that tall people are inferior and that short people are just the runts of society? I have an amazing DS who is shorter than average but oodles of personality so your attitude is really irritating me. I do hope your DDs haven’t inherited your prejudicial attitude.

As to intelligence, I only have three degrees. Obviously my brain has been stunted by my 5ft 1 inch frame. Can't Believe It

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:39 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I literally had this conversation with my pediatrician yesterday, and that is what he said. It's not done for a boy 5'3 or over.

As far as no harmful effects, it hasn't been around long enough to study the life-long effects. But I hope you're right.

So go back to your pediatrician and tell him your son is not ok with being this height and you want to elect to pay for the treatment, pay the $35-40k out of pocket and then try to bill it through your insurance. Call a medical referral agency to help you.

Laiya

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:39 pm
nchr wrote:
Used to what? Being at a higher risk for health problem such as obesity, diabetes, dementia, depression, heart disease etc.? Being unable to have the same physical power or natural attraction as a taller person? Yes, short people can be strong and beautiful, but being tall naturally helps those things? Be paid less and less successful at work? Be less intelligent and less confident? These are statistics and generalizations, but they are true and proven in our society.

Btw there are different health benefits associated with being short. Hypothetically, if you could choose your height, would you prefer to be tall based on lower risk of cardiovascular disease and dementia, or short, based on lower risk of blood clots, some cancers and neuropathy? Of course there is no answer.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:43 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
So go back to your pediatrician and tell him your son is not ok with being this height and you want to elect to pay for the treatment, pay the $35-40k out of pocket and then try to bill it through your insurance. Call a medical referral agency to help you.

Whatever. I'm taking him to an endo. But I'm not holding my breath based on that when puberty is almost finished, the hormone injections stop working.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:45 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Whatever. I'm taking him to an endo. But I'm not holding my breath based on that when puberty is almost finished, the hormone injections stop working.

Do you know his bone age? Growth does not stop at puberty, you actually increase HGH during puberty. It stops once the bones fuse.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:50 pm
nchr wrote:

Medically, taller people are at a higher risk of blood clots and some cancers. Taller women are more likely to develop atrial fibrillation. Death doesn’t elude the tall person. 🤷🏻‍♀️

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:56 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

As someone who has just done this:

Your pediatrician is well meaning but he's not an endocrinologist. If you really want to pursue it, I can recommend a good endocrinologist who might be able to help you. It's not quite as simple as your pediatrician makes it sound - it's not ONLY about projected height and there can be many other factors. We are giving this to our son right now and his projected height was all over the place - it's not an exact science- so this is definitely not the only factor.

Again, I would be glad to give you recommendations as my doctor is one of the top on his field.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:01 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
As someone who has just done this:

Your pediatrician is well meaning but he's not an endocrinologist. If you really want to pursue it, I can recommend a good endocrinologist who might be able to help you. It's not quite as simple as your pediatrician makes it sound - it's not ONLY about projected height and there can be many other factors. We are giving this to our son right now and his projected height was all over the place - it's not an exact science- so this is definitely not the only factor.

Again, I would be glad to give you recommendations as my doctor is one of the top on his field.

Sure. I did just schedule an appointment with an endo but it's a months long wait and I have no idea if he's top, just that he was referred by the pedi. Is your dr in NYC area?

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:03 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Sure. I did just schedule an appointment with an endo but it's a months long wait and I have no idea if he's top, just that he was referred by the pedi. Is your dr in NYC area?

Ok, my doctor is in CHOP so that's not near you. I'm sure your doctor is good, glad you scheduled it!

Just to add to the previous post - my sons projected height was 5'7 but because the doctor said it's not an exact science and he might be wrong (he could have ended up 5'5 instead) he recommended the growth hormone shots. He was delayed growth and they found that he had borderline low growth hormone so we were able to get it approved by insurance. He's 5'6 right now and still taking the shots!

nchr

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:03 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
What is your agenda? To prove to us that tall people are inferior and that short people are just the runts of society? I have an amazing DS who is shorter than average but oodles of personality so your attitude is really irritating me. I do hope your DDs haven’t inherited your prejudicial attitude.

As to intelligence, I only have three degrees. Obviously my brain has been stunted by my 5ft 1 inch frame. Can't Believe It

No. It just seems, in my experience, that a person who admits to being short and still claims that even if given the option to safely increase height would still stay short is lying through her teeth or clueless. I don't have any prejudice toward shorter individuals. I was stating statistics, although many of them are a result of the fact that the higher your socio economic class, the more likely you are to be taller due to access to vaccines, proper nutrition, rest, schooling, etc. However, there are more benefits to being tall than to being short and I truly believe anyone who complacently says she wishes to stay short is lying. Embracing your own body and loving yourself does not mean that if given the option you wouldn't change it. No one is perfect, and just because you have something doesn't mean it cannot be considered a negative attribute.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette