Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Hypoallergenic hair gel for s/o w/ sensitive skin?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:20 pm
I am trying to grow out the hair on my neck so it could fit into my ponytail. For now I have to pin it up with about ten bobby pins & even that is not great.

I'm thinking there must be hair gels that I could try to sort of gook up the hair, but it needs to be something that will dry and not get my scarf or my shirt all greasy.

(I've heard some mothers use sugar water on their sons' payos. But doesnt that attract insects etc?)

Any ideas? Thanks!

ETA: I originally was asking Moms who gekriezel their sons' payos. I've gotten some good suggestions here but I edited the title because I realized that what I have to worry about is reacting to something!

hodeez

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:40 pm
If you wear a velvet headband you can pick up the hairs into your scarf

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 6:48 pm
When my mother was a young mother she asked some elderly chasidish store owners what the secret was to keep the peyos so neatly . She used Dippity Doo but it wasn’t as perfect as she’d seen on other kids . One guy told her “tziker vasser “ which is sugar water and another answered “A bissele shpayachs “...a little bit of saliva. 😁

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 7:02 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
When my mother was a young mother she asked some elderly chasidish store owners what the secret was to keep the peyos so neatly . She used Dippity Doo but it wasn’t as perfect as she’d seen on other kids . One guy told her “tziker vasser “ which is sugar water and another answered “A bissele shpayachs “...a little bit of saliva. 😁

Disgusting.
And now you’re getting everyone on imamother believing that Chassidish mothers make the kids peyos with their saliva 😟

Dippity do gel is strong!

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 7:10 pm
I use a curling mousse.
My sisters workmate, not chassidish told her “it is so bashert that most chassish boys have curly hair.” She had no clue that mothers actually curl it

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 7:11 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I use a curling mousse.
My sisters workmate, not chassidish told her “it is so bashert that most chassish boys have curly hair.” She had no clue that mothers actually curl it

Ha she should come see my boys straight not a trace of a curl without tons of work hair.

Gneshe

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 7:25 pm
I use hair spray in pump bottle.

Fave

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 7:48 pm
Not that it’s going to help OP, but my son’s straight peyos get permed every 6 months or so.

happyfaces

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 7:52 pm
Dippity Doo 9

Marigold

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 8:18 pm
Garnier fructis

The trick is to do it on dry hair, not wet.

aycg

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 8:41 pm
Garnier fructis. I do it on damp permed peyas. Stays the best. Natural looking,
Not sticky

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 8:42 pm
I use dippity doo spray gel on my girls hair abd it stays nice and neat all day.

happyfaces

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 8:54 pm
Op if you want the strongest gel go with dippity do number 9 not the spray the regular squeeze bottle.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 9:00 pm
I use GOT TO BE GLUE it's the best .

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:14 pm
Regarding curling the payes: I sometimes use gel in addition to- curl the payes with a thin "straw"! Hold it in for 1 minute. It looks like a perm!

Regarding hair not sticking out from the back: I shave the bottom of the scalp a little- up to sheitel or snood. It just looks like a high pony. And yala- no hair ever sticking out!👍

gamanit

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:22 pm
I use sugar water for my son's peyos. Holds better than any gel I've tried.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:44 pm
Quote:
Regarding hair not sticking out from the back: I shave the bottom of the scalp a little- up to sheitel or snood. It just looks like a high pony. And yala- no hair ever sticking out!👍
I have done that for quite a while, but I'm tired of it.

Velvet headband sounds like an idea except in the summer I don't really want that extra layer: )

Now as to all these gels, dippity doo & garnier fructis etc, anyone know how they are for sensitive skin? That's another issue.... I guess I should inquire at Clinique if they have hypoallergenic hair spray!

Although I am picturing now trying to spray the back of my head... I think gel would be easier to use.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:00 pm
gamanit wrote:
I use sugar water for my son's peyos. Holds better than any gel I've tried.

yup! sugar water & lemon juice work best ime. I try to stick to (no pun intended) the lemon as we had a lice infestation once (on my fresh peyos boy, & was clearly coming from cheder)

emmes

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:55 pm
Fructis. Spray onto dry hair and use a dry brush

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:53 am
Garnier Fructis Curl gel
Not sticky and holds well
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics