Home

Boy missing in Forest- Found BH!
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


thunderstorm




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:06 pm
Chasdei Hashem! May we always here only good news.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:07 pm
חַסְדֵי הַ' כִּי לֹא תָמְנוּ כִּי לֹא כָלוּ רַחֲמָיו
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:15 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Chasdei Hashem! May we always here only good news.

Amen!
Back to top

amother




Peach


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:35 pm
How did he get separated from the group?
Back to top

flowerpower




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:55 pm
Baruch hashem!!!!
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:01 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
How did he get separated from the group?


Yes. This is the question that need to be asked -- and answered. From the time I was a little girl in a bungalow colony day camp, it was always crystal clear: We had a buddy system while hiking or swimming and during many other activities.

We need to get serious about reinstating basic safety practices.
Back to top

amother




Peach


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:30 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Yes. This is the question that need to be asked -- and answered. From the time I was a little girl in a bungalow colony day camp, it was always crystal clear: We had a buddy system while hiking or swimming and during many other activities.

We need to get serious about reinstating basic safety practices.


Thanks! I was bracing for getting attacked for asking this question, by someone who would ask "Whats the difference, this is l a s h o n h a r a ..." Its gotten to a point that theres always someone on every thread making that remark.

Im totally for refraining from Lashon Hara, but

1- Answers can be given that dont involve Lashon Hara.

2 -Sometimes things have to be discussed to learn from them.
Back to top

amother




Saddlebrown


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:38 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Yes. This is the question that need to be asked -- and answered. From the time I was a little girl in a bungalow colony day camp, it was always crystal clear: We had a buddy system while hiking or swimming and during many other activities.

We need to get serious about reinstating basic safety practices.



There's no system that is 100% foolproof. Mistakes and accidents happen. What system do you suggest that would ensure 100% of the time a mistake doesn't happen? Mind you these are teenagers whose counselors are often 18 years old.
Back to top

amother




Amber


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:38 pm
Chasdei hashem hodu l'hashem!!! Hashem know's we can't handle another tragedy now! I was in tears all day from this, I still didn't get over the tragedy in Monroe. Oh what a relief, bh bh he's safe and sound.
Back to top

amother




Amber


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:38 pm
I heard that he needed the bathroom and went off the path without telling anyone.
Back to top

amother




Peach


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 9:47 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
There's no system that is 100% foolproof. Mistakes and accidents happen. What system do you suggest that would ensure 100% of the time a mistake doesn't happen? Mind you these are teenagers whose counselors are often 18 years old.


Of course no preventive measures are 100% foolproof but we have to do our maximum Hishtadlus.
Back to top

Lesia




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 9:50 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I heard that he needed the bathroom and went off the path without telling anyone.

First cardinal rule of hiking: never go off the marked trail.
I wish camps and schools which take their charges on hikes would be more educated and prep better. They’re really irresponsible. A disproportionate number of hikers in the northeast who go missing are frum Jews.
Back to top

happy12




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 9:54 pm
Lesia wrote:
First cardinal rule of hiking: never go off the marked trail.
I wish camps and schools which take their charges on hikes would be more educated and prep better. They’re really irresponsible. A disproportionate number of hikers in the northeast who go missing are frum Jews.

I don't think this is statistically true. It's just we hear about the frum ones.
Back to top

Lesia




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:00 pm
happy12 wrote:
I don't think this is statistically true. It's just we hear about the frum ones.

It is. I don’t live in a frum bubble. I’m an avid hiker and follow all the news outlets that report on hiking conditions and news in the northeast. I also follow Chaveirim’s search and rescue updates, and I’m dismayed at the number of frum hikers they have to rescue.
These camper go out in the woods wholly unprepared for hiking. They’re overdressed, they don’t carry the necessities needed for safety and survival, they probably don’t even know how to read the blazes that outline the trail. And these stories always highlight how little supervision and oversight there actually is to ensure that all boys get home safe.
Back to top

Lesia




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:05 pm
happy12 wrote:
I don't think this is statistically true. It's just we hear about the frum ones.

LOL to all the people agreeing with this. Maybe you guys get all your news only from Imamother or YWN, but some of us live in the real world.
Back to top

amother




Azure


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:13 pm
Quote:

More Fun Facts....

1. Estimated number of SAR (search and rescue) missions in US each year: 50,000

2. Percent of SAR operations aiding lost individuals: 36%

3. Percent of SAR operations in national parks to find lost hikers: 40%

4. Duration of average search: 10 hours

5. Average daily cost to operate a full scale SAR operation: $32,000

6. Most likely group to be SAR targets: Men, ages 20 to 25/ 2nd- Men, ages 50 to 60

7. Leading activities requiring assistance: Hiking (48%) and boating (21%)

8. Fatalities: Hiking (22.8%), suicides (12.1%), swimming (10.1%), and boating (10.1%)

https://www.befoundalive.com/a.....163315.htm

How many of these do you think are frum?
Back to top

Lesia




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:26 pm
I said disproportionate numbers, the ratio of frum hikers to their need for rescues.
I also said northeast, which is the NY/VT/NH area. Your numbers are meaningless.
Back to top

amother




Azure


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:38 pm
Lesia wrote:
I said disproportionate numbers, the ratio of frum hikers to their need for rescues.
I also said northeast, which is the NY/VT/NH area. Your numbers are meaningless.

Of course the proportion of Jewish lost hikers will be higher in the northeast, as there is a larger percentage of Jewish hikers in that area.

These numbers can be quite meaningful, if we compare them to your data sources. How many frum hikers are there annually? How many rescues? And nationwide, how many hikers are there, and how many rescues?

Actual statistics are much more useful than conjecture.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:40 pm
Lesia wrote:
I said disproportionate numbers, the ratio of frum hikers to their need for rescues.
I also said northeast, which is the NY/VT/NH area. Your numbers are meaningless.

I think what you really mean to say is that inexperienced hikers are more likely to need rescuing and frum people are more likely to be inexperienced.
City people are more likely to be inexperienced compared with country living people.
Frum people are more likely to live in cities.
No big surprises there.
Back to top

amother




Seagreen


Post  Thu, Jul 25 2019, 10:44 pm
Lesia wrote:
It is. I don’t live in a frum bubble. I’m an avid hiker and follow all the news outlets that report on hiking conditions and news in the northeast. I also follow Chaveirim’s search and rescue updates, and I’m dismayed at the number of frum hikers they have to rescue.
These camper go out in the woods wholly unprepared for hiking. They’re overdressed, they don’t carry the necessities needed for safety and survival, they probably don’t even know how to read the blazes that outline the trail. And these stories always highlight how little supervision and oversight there actually is to ensure that all boys get home safe.


Except this camp is all about survival and the leaders are highly qualified. This is not an ordinary camp. (My son went there a few years ago.)
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 2 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Best place to buy comfortable shabbas shoes for boy
by amother
0 Yesterday at 5:36 am View last post
Yeshiva for good boy with ADD
by amother
15 Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:54 pm View last post
Missing adult company
by amother
4 Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:09 pm View last post
ISO Warm Home for 10 Year Old Boy to Board in Flatbush
by amother
6 Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:14 pm View last post
Baby boy YT - please help
by amother
0 Wed, Sep 04 2019, 8:57 pm View last post

Jump to: