Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
How can I ask this nicely?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:28 pm
So my ds recently had an upsherin. My aunt's told me that they bought him a gift but had to buy it on Amazon cuz local store didn't have it. His party was two weeks ago and I still didn't get it. I want to ask in a nice way when I will get it but I don't want to look like I am begging or waiting for it ... (It's a gift that all the upsherin buys get and it's from a lot of ppl combined so it's a really nice gift)

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:32 pm
I'm assuming it's your ds, not your dh Very Happy

I don't think there's a way to ask nicely, or a reason to do so. At a certain point someone will mention it and if you still haven't received it you can say so. Otherwise it could have had a late ship date or something similar.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:34 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I'm assuming it's your ds, not your dh Very Happy

I don't think there's a way to ask nicely, or a reason to do so. At a certain point someone will mention it and if you still haven't received it you can say so. Otherwise it could have had a late ship date or something similar.

Thanks I changed it.
It's not the type anyone will ask me.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:34 pm
I agree with Natural. And I am dying of curiosity, what is this common and expensive upsherin gift? All I ever see is an alef bina, a pushka, and some books or toys.

BayMom

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:39 pm
If these aunts are your mother's sisters, maybe your mother can ask them, "DD was so excited to hear that you're buying her son x. It hasn't arrived yet. Maybe you need to check with Amazon."

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So my ds recently had an upsherin. My aunt's told me that they bought him a gift but had to buy it on Amazon cuz local store didn't have it. His party was two weeks ago and I still didn't get it. I want to ask in a nice way when I will get it but I don't want to look like I am begging or waiting for it ... (It's a gift that all the upsherin buys get and it's from a lot of ppl combined so it's a really nice gift)

Say - there have been issues in my building/block with amazon packages being taken.. I'm mentioning this since you said something to me a couple weeks ago about an amazon package .

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:56 pm
watergirl wrote:
I agree with Natural. And I am dying of curiosity, what is this common and expensive upsherin gift? All I ever see is an alef bina, a pushka, and some books or toys.

I assume all the kids in OPs family get a similar gift from the aunts and uncles. Eg a bike, a train set, etc.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:30 pm
Raisin wrote:
I assume all the kids in OPs family get a similar gift from the aunts and uncles. Eg a bike, a train set, etc.

Yes it's a $300 gift that all the boys get and ds1 got by his upsherin. My parent asked for me and they are finding out. Thanks.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 2:02 pm
Call Amazon
Maybe they can look up given the address/zip and the type of gift

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 2:53 pm
I work for an Amazon seller.
Sometimes we get emails saying we didn’t receive our parcel and the estimated delivery date was a month or two ago (sometimes even longer!) at this point there isn’t much we can do as we can’t investigate with couriers as a lot of couriers only accept claims within 1 month!
I would suggest you ask sooner rather then later so if there was an issue with delivery the company won’t make issues refunding or investigating!

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 4:41 pm
Our family has a system going, where all the aunt's chip in together to buy a highchair for each newborn grandkid.

I waited politely, then impatiently, , but the gift never materialized.

I was shy (cowardly?) To make inquiries, and ended up buying my own. I simply didn't know how to handle the situation.

When my baby was almost a year old, another cousin had a baby. That's when one aunt called me, "heeeeey, whatever happened with your gift? We don't remember taking care of it!"

I felt so awkward. They roundly scolded me for being such a ninny.

(And yes, they sent me a beautiful toddler toy.)

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 4:54 pm
I’m glad your mom is inquiring. $300 gift is a biggie.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 5:50 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Our family has a system going, where all the aunt's chip in together to buy a highchair for each newborn grandkid.

I waited politely, then impatiently, , but the gift never materialized.

I was shy (cowardly?) To make inquiries, and ended up buying my own. I simply didn't know how to handle the situation.

When my baby was almost a year old, another cousin had a baby. That's when one aunt called me, "heeeeey, whatever happened with your gift? We don't remember taking care of it!"

I felt so awkward. They roundly scolded me for being such a ninny.

(And yes, they sent me a beautiful toddler toy.)

So this is similar. Bh the family is big so they can chip in a bit and get a really nice gift. My son knew about the present since all kids his age get it and was asking me when it's coming. My aunt also told him he was getting it by the upsherin since she couldn't find it locally.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics