Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
A second one .. This is insane
1  2  3  4  Next

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 1:00 am
First 60 last week

Now another 200

What's going on ???

https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 1:15 am
HOW is this okay?

Seriously, give us a chance! I do not come from there, do not live there, am part of a different hashkafa, and am struggling for my own tuition, but I WILL GLADLY DONATE TO KEEP THIS SCHOOL ALIVE!!!

A high school in Monsey, that I don't think I'd send my sons to, recently decided to close under similar circumstances. The parents rallied, I was glad to participate, and B"H they decided not to close in the end!

How much is this school they really behind?
How much do they need?
WHY is it "impossible" to keep this school alive?

WITH ENOUGH FUNDRAISING IT IS POSSIBLE TO RUN A SCHOOL WITH FREE TUITION!!!

Please, parents, get together and DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN! It is NOT okay! Having a variety of schools is VITAL for each child to get the chinuch they need!

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 1:59 am
It all comes down to tuition. There is no other way to fund a school. Gevirim, unfortunately do not like to be part of a school that does not have a solid tuition base. I say unfortunately because they have no clue what a poor family is going through on a daily basis.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 3:08 am
What was their business model?

- How many donors were supporting this school?
- How many student were enrolled?
- Were they paying *any* tuition, or was it 10% free?
- Did they have a large endowment, or were they operating donation-to-donation, paycheck-to-paycheck?

Thus can be a difficult business model to sustain without a very large endowment, especially if not even a token fee was being paid by the students.

slushiemom

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:07 am
People on the outside of the Kollel system looking in have been saying for years that it's not a sustainable system and it's going to collapse upon itself. Schools shutting down because not enough fathers are working and bringing in enough money to support their families, which includes education, is only the tip of the iceberg. The system needs a major overhaul, and every unfortunate family that's affected by this should seriously consider if staying in Lakewood/this system makes sense for them.

Obviously, this is an over generalization and every family has their own story, but overall this kind of thing isn't a surprise when huge masses of people live in one area and have a very low income rate and high birthrate due to ideological reasons.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 4:30 am
It’s surprising because this last school did not cater to kollel families at all. This was a school for more open minded, working parents who were certainly paying tuition. It wasn’t a large school by Lakewood standards. In fact it was rather small. If parents decided to take their girls out of this school they had a very hard time getting their girls enrolled in a more established school. More right winged established schools were worried about what these girls saw and heard already and perhaps influence a new class in a good school. It’s very worrisome how all these girls will now have to be accepted into schools around Lakewood.
I these are all open minded, working parents who were paying tuition, why weren’t they able to make ends meet??

Simple1

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:10 am
slushiemom wrote:
People on the outside of the Kollel system looking in have been saying for years that it's not a sustainable system and it's going to collapse upon itself. Schools shutting down because not enough fathers are working and bringing in enough money to support their families, which includes education, is only the tip of the iceberg. The system needs a major overhaul, and every unfortunate family that's affected by this should seriously consider if staying in Lakewood/this system makes sense for them.

Obviously, this is an over generalization and every family has their own story, but overall this kind of thing isn't a surprise when huge masses of people live in one area and have a very low income rate and high birthrate due to ideological reasons.

Not true. These were not schools that particularly catered to kollel families. If anything, it's another sad case of the Lakewood parent body as a whole rejecting a school that's too open in it's acceptance policy.

Last edited by Simple1 on Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total

slushiemom

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:12 am
Simple1 wrote:
Not true. This was not a school that particularly catered to kollel families. If anything, this is another sad case of the Lakewood parent body as a whole rejecting a school that's too open in it's acceptance policy.

Understood. So if it wasn't for financial reasons, why did this school close? Pressure from the mob?

Simple1

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:18 am
slushiemom wrote:
Understood. So if it wasn't for financial reasons, why did this school close? Pressure from the mob?

It probably was for financial reasons, but for very different reasons than you stated. Maybe not enough students to make it viable. Or perhaps there were administrative issues as listed by Dr. Mom.

nchr

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 5:54 am
Hold your horses, it could be the schools version of a fundraiser. Also, its hard to keep a school for 60 girls financially viable without donors and supplemental income like Chinese auctions.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 6:06 am
I don't know anything about specific schools in Lakewood. But is it possible that fewer gevirim donate to schools that are more "open-minded"?

giselle

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 7:29 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
If parents decided to take their girls out of this school they had a very hard time getting their girls enrolled in a more established school. More right winged established schools were worried about what these girls saw and heard already and perhaps influence a new class in a good school. It’s very worrisome how all these girls will now have to be accepted into schools around Lakewood.

Please don’t make things up. The girls have a hard time getting into other schools because the education in the school is on a lower level than most, so they are behind academically.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 7:42 am
1. Both schools were more "open minded" but smaller newer schools always have a hard time financially, yeshivish or not yeshivish. I think a few boys shops closed this year as well, but they weren't posted on the Lakewood scoop.

2. Both of these schools have been ok the brink of closure in the recent past, and reopened thanks to generosity of gevirim/the Lakewood community. But this is not sustainable. There are many other causes as well that need my maaser, and I am trying to pay full tuition in my son's yeshiva. I wish I was a billionaire, but I'm not, and many others in Lakewood are like me. A solution needs to be figured out- either a huge Bais Yaakov of Baltimore style school (perhaps combining a few existing schools) that can be financially viable, or some other solution...
It's not healthy for the students to be threatened with closure every year even if they ultimately reopen.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 7:43 am
Before blasting the sustainability of kollel, I know of OOT schools that couldn't manage without Federation support. Many people struggle to pay tuition.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 8:00 am
I really hope that everyone is thinking carefully before hitting send.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 8:39 am
slushiemom wrote:

It wasn’t a school for kollel families.

How can gevirim be expected to keep schools afloat if they can’t figure out how to sustain themselves after. They have to be sustainable by the parent body. One school was already saved by a gevir.

There are many reasons schools don’t make it. 1. Politics and infighting within the school is a big one. A boys school closed because of that. 2. Poor academics and many families leaving 3. Poorly mismanaged funds. 4. Lack of fundraising. Collecting tuition 5.... I’m sur other reasons

In regards to huge schools (likeby baltimore) There are many huge schools larger then that. The cheddar and Bais faiga have 10 reg ed classes per grade. Many other schools are huge. Bnos melech has 6+ parallel classes as does orchos chaim. I’m sure other schools are just as large. Should s schools grow to be 40 classes per grade because that is what is needed. I don’t want to send to a school that size. (I’ve. Even bashed for saying one of my children is in a school with 3 classesper grade and I hope they don’t grow. She is thriving in the small quieter environment. )

No one is making schools close down. In fact people are grateful and glad that there are new open schools. In fact everyone is acknowledging there is a need for more schools. If only people were open enough to send to new schools.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 10:43 am

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 10:46 am
So sad how people jump at any opportunity to get on their soap box (=sinas chinam) even when it's totally irrelevant to the topic at hand.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 10:53 am
I live in lkwd. I have had relatives in the school as well as older wealthier family members try and get involved to save the school. A lot of the parent body felt trapped there and wanted out and didnt want to put the money up or the effort fwd to save the school. And that is the maim reason for this.
Maybe it's for the best

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jul 28 2019, 10:54 am
Does anyone know how much tuition was in Ateres? With most of 200 girls paying tuition, and some fundraising, they should be in bearable condition, I think so.
About the boy school that closed was it in Lakewood? I didn't hear anything about it, could you please fill me in
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics