Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
We go on vacations and have a tuition break
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 12:36 pm
Squishy wrote:
This is just your belief. Perhaps you convinced yourself that it's true. I don't know that this is a scientific fact.

Using your theory, you could justify spending money on a lot of other things besides tuition because we all need to feel better.

Tuition should be based on salary rather than disposal income because basing it on disposable income encourages people to tie up their money in fixed payments. Then people can do whatever they want with their disposable income after tuition.

You could go on your vacations. I could buy my sheital. Someone else could build could build an addition.

Of course you're right.

It will discourage the time-honored imamother suggestion that people buy more house than they can afford before their first kid starts school, so that they can get more tuition assistance.

It will encourage people to save, as they won't be penalized for doing so.

It will allow people to budget and spend in the manner they want. You want to eat rice and beans 3 times a week, and use the savings for your annual 2 week European vacation? Enjoy. You want to eat organic produce and wagyu beef every night, and never travel? Bon appetit.

Familial gifts must be reported.

My only addition would be an adjustment (ie, attribution of income, say $50,000 per year) for stay at home parents, based on the same principle.

Oh, and if you get caught lying, all tuition assistance will be suspended for 5 years.

It would then be the job of the tuition committee to adjust assistance based on exigent circumstances -- sick children (chas v'shalom), loss of job, illness.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 12:37 pm
Cheiny, bonei olam will generally not fund IVF for a couple that has a family already.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 3:04 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Do you think the supermarket should charge for groceries depending on your salary? There are fixed costs involved in educating children, and the money has to come from somewhere.

Sorry, you misunderstood me completely. Just like grocery prices are not deducted for different families, so too u are saying schools shld charge a fixed amount!! Fine, but they are not!!

Schools are giving deductions. So, wat im saying is if a school is reducing the tution for ppl, then they shld use salary only as a decision for how much to reduce tuition. But, instead 2 families who earn same salary are getting different deductions which is unfair bec then someone who rents a small apt(lower rent) and saves...will pay MORE TUTION than someone who buys a house and therefore wants more tutiion break.....

If they are giving tuition breaks, its unfair to penalize ppl who save and give less deduction than someone who bought a house they cant afford and have cleaningvhelp and spend...

I pay very high tuition and I know for a fact that the schools full tuition is subsidizing others.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 4:53 pm
We intend to move to our long-term community by the time our oldest starts school. Question is do we buy a house there or keep renting apts? In the long run it probably makes sense to buy a house at that point before all our savings are gone to tuition instead of continuing to pay rent forever, but is that not fair that we'll need a scholarship because we own a house ? (Truth: we'll need scholarships because we're both in klei kodesh). Or do we keep renting and in 10 years need a bigger scholarship because it will be a choice of paying tuition or rent on a too small apt ?

ETA: not talking a mansion, but once I'm buying a house I would probably do 4 bedrooms so we could stay long term.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 4:10 am
Cheiny wrote:
Don’t minimize your admirable ethics and morality, and sense of wanting to do what is truly honest and right. Of course when people don’t have enough for absolute necessities it’s understandable that they would need to take assistance but we all know people who are taking tuition breaks while going to hotels for Pesach and other such luxuries. You are an example that everyone can learn from and try to emulate.

Thank you, Cheiny. I especially appreciate your saying this in light of our disagreement on political threads. I really value your post.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 4:16 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
We intend to move to our long-term community by the time our oldest starts school. Question is do we buy a house there or keep renting apts? In the long run it probably makes sense to buy a house at that point before all our savings are gone to tuition instead of continuing to pay rent forever, but is that not fair that we'll need a scholarship because we own a house ? (Truth: we'll need scholarships because we're both in klei kodesh). Or do we keep renting and in 10 years need a bigger scholarship because it will be a choice of paying tuition or rent on a too small apt ?

ETA: not talking a mansion, but once I'm buying a house I would probably do 4 bedrooms so we could stay long term.

Buy the house. In the long run, it will make you more sound financially, which is to everyone's benefit. If it bothers you, make a commitment to paying back the discount in tuition when your mortgage is paid up, or when things are easier. And of course it makes sense to buy a four-bedroom house if you need four bedrooms. You would probably incur a huge loss in state taxes and real-estate agent fees in buying a starter house and then trading up in a few years.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics