Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Possible Elimination of Regents in NY
Previous  1  2

yersp

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 8:59 am

Last edited by yersp on Tue, Jul 30 2019, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 10:55 am
familyfirst wrote:
Sounds like there was a crisis in number of graduating students, so just let’s lower the bar. Kinda like dumbing down education.
Reminds me of crime rates deceasing in New York... because police are not reporting it.

This was my first thought as well.

mema613

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:07 am
groovy1224 wrote:
LOL I loved that line 'They said eliminating them could improve graduation rates.'

Yes, eliminating basic standards (what do you need now on the math regents to pass? 25%?) will do wonders for your graduation rates.
Its nuts! Passing rate in the math is very low because the math regents are very hard with lots of analytical questions. Pre Calc is thrown into Algebra 2 course! Math A and B or the Integrated series was fine. Its nuts that the core was introduced! Very good business for Math tutors!!

chestnut

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 11:24 am
Iymnok wrote:
Are there no standardized tests before the SAT in NY? I took Iowa tests in 5th and 8th and some highschool teachers used scantrons for their tests. There are the AP tests as well.
If lack of familiarity in standardized testing is the problem, a class can be given on it. That would be cheaper than a whole testing system.
I heard of a kid whose parents gave him practice SATs from when he was 6 or so. He knew the way it worked so well that he got a perfect score. He had a normal intelligence.

There are Math and English standardized tests in the middle school (maybe from 5th grade? Don't remember).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics