Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Lkwd tuition
Previous  1  2

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:14 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
My pay isn't going up that drastically!

teachers pay hasn’t gone up anything over many years. Even a 3-5% pay increase per year for multiple teachers and principal and secretaries adds up quickly. (That is a normal increase per year)
I was also told by an administrator that the cost of their cheapest labor has increased dramatically. They can’t get the cheap rates for janitors and maintainable workers they had in the post. As minimum wages increase that expense will increase as well.
And my kids school has been improving. We have tons of principals and administration they keep adding. I think the school is run fantastically. The building has more extra rooms. Swimming pool has bathrooms, etc. all that costs $$$. (I think my girls with 2k less tuition is also run really well...).

I have a friend paying over 14k tuition in an out of town school. We were comparing what our kids put learnig. It was surprising to me she wasn’t getting much more for her money. Her kids also had years with horrible math teachers. Or are barely learning science. Or skipping cursive. I thought my girls know general knowledge much better. (Planets, states, capitals, presidents...).

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:18 pm
6-8k is nothing for tuition! move to five towns or monsey and you will pay closer to 11-12k a kid.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:12 pm
6-8K maybe isn't much if both parents are professionals earning a lot in their fields... This is what I would expect from families in the 5 towns and yes the tuition there is certainly higher.

But wasn't LKwd always known for being more kollel people, so my question is how can they afford it, especially once they have several kids?????

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:29 pm
Lkwd was always known for being more Kollel people, and at the same time, Lakewood schools have always demanded that parents pay a significant amount of tuition. Consider that if they would give big breaks to Kollel people, the schools would all be closing down, because that would be a large percentage of their student body...everyone and their neigbhor....

Even as a Kollel parent, the max I've gotten in discounts is about 20%...and I know plenty of working people that have gotten the same break - it isn't specifically a Kollel discount.

How do people afford it? I don't know....Many people live very simply to foot their tuition bills. Some get outside help (I have a friend who has a large family B"AH and her parents/in-laws pay her tuition - but I don't know anyone else like her!). Some are teachers/Rabbeim and send their kids to the schools they work in, and they give them some breaks due to that as well (an uncle of mine used to teach in the Cheder, and back in the day, they didn't pay tuition until their kids got to high school...but I know that they don't give such large breaks anymore to their staff...it became unfeasible.)

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:30 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
6-8k is nothing for tuition! move to five towns or monsey and you will pay closer to 11-12k a kid.

Salaries in Lakewood are lower as well.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 4:24 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
6-8K maybe isn't much if both parents are professionals earning a lot in their fields... This is what I would expect from families in the 5 towns and yes the tuition there is certainly higher.

But wasn't LKwd always known for being more kollel people, so my question is how can they afford it, especially once they have several kids?????

the schools that are 8k are like orchos chaim and ytt, almost everyone is working parents same as 5t. the yeshivish schools are much cheaper.and lakewood is a lot cheaper to live housing and babysitting wise so it shouldnt be too hard for working parents to afford that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics