Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
SAHMs: What does your baby do all day?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:35 am
I have a very needy baby who wants my attention all the time. While I would love to have nothing to do other than hold my baby and sing lullabies, I have a house to run, work to do, and other people to take care of as well.
So, what do your 7-12 month old babies do throughout the day? How do they keep THEMSELVES occupied without your help?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 12:05 pm
She doesn’t like to do anything by herself. (Besides eat 😀) She wants my attention the entire time . I hold her and play with her and then I do my things when she takes her nap. Otherwise I’m busy with her the entire time. I go brisk walking with her in the stroller. We eat breakfast together. I sit out on my porch and put her in the swing or have her run around while I daven. She comes to me every 30 seconds for me to hold her, so I pick her up and daven holding her.
The older she is getting the more clingy she has become. If I leave the room she cries. Each kid is different. My boys never needed me to hold them like she does.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 12:16 pm
Mine are old now, but they didn't.
I could get about 5 minutes playing with a toy. If I turned my back, of course, I could get an hour of them pulling everything out of the pantry and dumping things on the floor, but that really wasn't so helpful.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 12:24 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
She doesn’t like to do anything by herself. (Besides eat 😀) She wants my attention the entire time . I hold her and play with her and then I do my things when she takes her nap. Otherwise I’m busy with her the entire time. I go brisk walking with her in the stroller. We eat breakfast together. I sit out on my porch and put her in the swing or have her run around while I daven. She comes to me every 30 seconds for me to hold her, so I pick her up and daven holding her.
The older she is getting the more clingy she has become. If I leave the room she cries. Each kid is different. My boys never needed me to hold them like she does.

Sounds like mine except I need to do the feeding and I can't get much done during a measly 45 minute nap which is all I get What

tichellady

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 12:47 pm
Baby can play but only if I’m around and give her attention every few minutes and after about 10 minutes she will want me to hold her or play sitting next to her. Certain things will hold her attention longer- like going through the recycling or playing with straws, but then I have to clean up after her. I think your baby sounds normal. It’s hard to get things done with a baby. But Maybe there’s room for improvement with the napping? Good luck

lucky14

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 11:38 pm
Normal. That's just expected for that age. I wasn't able to get anything done either. It will eventually get better....until then you just have to do as much as you can in the evening after he/she is asleep. Or get someone to watch her for a bit so you can get a few things done.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 12:09 am
Mine loves emptying and crawling in my cabinets. I unlock a cabinet for them.

sky

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 12:51 am
I work from home all day with my baby. Now he is almost a year. No babysitter.
He takes a long morning nap. Plays with toys (or whatever is available) . Sits on my lap. Nurses. Empty bookshelves. Looks out the window. Eats lunch ... he does entertain himself a lot and keeps busy with toys.
I wonder if he is so good because that is how he has been since born.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:14 am
Try to get her used to not being held ALL the time.
That was a big one for me. If she's cranky and crying I won't hold her I would sit next to, rub her back, sing to her. And yes, hold her plenty but she needs to know I cannot hold her 24/7. There's other people in the house too.

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 4:49 am
Whatever I did, she did too. I need to wash dishes? She got spoons, and I had 5 minutes. I need to fold laundry? I would make it a game, and whisk each clothing item over her before folding it, and that's how we'd finish the basket. Etc.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 4:50 am
I have twin 7 month olds. I put a big padded mat in the middle of my living room and they roll around, play with their toys, play with one another etc. They keep themselves occupied, mostly. I only intervene when they start biting on another (becoming increasingly frequent and yes they have teeth so it really hurts!) They also sleep and eat loads. My other kids also keep them busy, for better or for worse

Rachel Shira

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:57 am
My almost one year old can’t occupy himself for more than 10ish minutes, and that’s if I’m lucky. He’s gotten very clingy recently so I mostly have to just be with him when he’s awake, not holding but actively playing with him, going for a walk, etc. Sometimes he’ll empty a cabinet while I cook or play with his toys while I clean up. I can also do some things while he’s eating - if you’re needing to feed your baby maybe start transitioning to things he can feed himself. But this is not really an age that they can fend for themselves much, usually. If you really have things to get done you might want to get a babysitter for an hour or two a day.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 7:24 am
sky wrote:
I work from home all day with my baby. Now he is almost a year. No babysitter.
He takes a long morning nap. Plays with toys (or whatever is available) . Sits on my lap. Nurses. Empty bookshelves. Looks out the window. Eats lunch ... he does entertain himself a lot and keeps busy with toys.
I wonder if he is so good because that is how he has been since born.

Knock on wood!! You are very lucky. My baby is 13 months old and I've given up most of my work this year because of him. I even had to hire a cleaning lady because I can't get a freakin thing done. I thank Hashem for him every day but it's not been easy!

sky

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:12 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Knock on wood!! You are very lucky. My baby is 13 months old and I've given up most of my work this year because of him. I even had to hire a cleaning lady because I can't get a freakin thing done. I thank Hashem for him every day but it's not been easy!

BH. I’ve done this with a few babies. some stayed home longer then others. As I said earlier I really think it’s what they are used to. (He isn’t neglected and I never let him cry - only nurse to sleep - but he is used to entertaining himself).

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:26 am
sky wrote:
BH. I’ve done this with a few babies. some stayed home longer then others. As I said earlier I really think it’s what they are used to. (He isn’t neglected and I never let him cry - only nurse to sleep - but he is used to entertaining himself).

Nope, it's all in their natures. I've seen both types of children. By the way I don't hold my baby all day. He just needs my attention almost constantly. Ever seen a ten month old who bangs the bathroom door down when you're in there? Who moves faster than a flash? Who crawls up on everything so you can't take your eyes off them for an instant? Who only wants to self feed but demolishes a plate in 60 seconds and leaves a huge mess behind? Who can actually play with a box for a half hour but you really can't take your eyes off them or else? Who takes 20 minute naps only no matter what you do (cool room, warm room, dark room, noise machine, no noise machine, special blankie etc)?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:31 am
oh my goodness. My baby is almost 10 months and I'm also going a little nutty! She does like magformers as an idea for other people. we have one of those busyboxs which she will play for a little bit
those of you who's kids play nicely with toys (or anything) what do they play with?
Also what do you do with your kid when you need them to stay safe and you can't hold them.... my baby is starting to walk and is in to everything, climbing on everything, pulling stuff down, putting every little thing in her mouth ...

sky

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:48 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Nope, it's all in their natures. I've seen both types of children. By the way I don't hold my baby all day. He just needs my attention almost constantly. Ever seen a ten month old who bangs the bathroom door down when you're in there? Who moves faster than a flash? Who crawls up on everything so you can't take your eyes off them for an instant? Who only wants to self feed but demolishes a plate in 60 seconds and leaves a huge mess behind? Who can actually play with a box for a half hour but you really can't take your eyes off them or else? Who takes 20 minute naps only no matter what you do (cool room, warm room, dark room, noise machine, no noise machine, special blankie etc)?

I think all babies act like that. (Fast moving, demolish, dangerously curious, messy). I just have safe space setup so he can get into things and make messes but it is mostly contained. I’m also pretty easy going so I’m happy to overlook messes and noise and dirty clothes.

When I’m working I actually think he is safest. On Shabbos he got into glass, had various things on his mouth, broke something.

My baby sleeps very little at night. So He gives a nice morning nap. Something has to give somewhere. Because he is up so late I get very little done but I have a few kids home then so busy in general holding him and nursing then is fine. I’m getting nothing done anyways.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:04 am
sky wrote:
I think all babies act like that. (Fast moving, demolish, dangerously curious, messy). I just have safe space setup so he can get into things and make messes but it is mostly contained. I’m also pretty easy going so I’m happy to overlook messes and noise and dirty clothes.

When I’m working I actually think he is safest. On Shabbos he got into glass, had various things on his mouth, broke something.

My baby sleeps very little at night. So He gives a nice morning nap. Something has to give somewhere. Because he is up so late I get very little done but I have a few kids home then so busy in general holding him and nursing then is fine. I’m getting nothing done anyways.

So you're saying it's all the attitude? hmm.

I am easygoing about mess but if I don't clean up his flung-all-over-scrambled-eggs right away it becomes disgusting or inevitably someone steps in it. My house is also tiny and open layout so there's no place I can create a "Safe space" for him. I am a huge minimalist but we do still need our furniture and stuff ya know?

When I try to work he stands up by me pulling my skirt and banging on my keyboard, so I can't do anything. When he finally goes down for his short nap (he also doesn't sleep well at night) I can't decide what to do first. Work? eat? clean up? do the dishes? make dinner? rest from his antics?

Rachel Shira

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:08 am
I would be happy to overlook any messes if it bought me some time but my baby just isn’t happy on his own for too long. I think it definitely is a personality thing if a baby is able to occupy himself for extended periods of time.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:35 am
I think it really comes down to personality... I've seen my friends kids who are much more clingy than mine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics