Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Lock up our children please
1  2  Next

Just One

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:18 pm
Dear parents,

It's a crazy world out there, our children are in constant danger. We need to do something!

I propose what's called The Sealed Room Method

These are the Ten Commandments of the Sealed Room Method:

1) At birth place child in sealed room
2) Install air filtration system so child is not G-d forbid exposed to the hazards of pollution
3) No furniture whatsoever shall be installed due to the danger of tip over incidents
4) No windows. Glass can be deadly
5) Any objects known to be the cause of possible concussions shall be disposed of immediately. This includes bicycles, table, chairs and playground equipment.
6) For the same reason as above there shall be no more than one child per sealed room. The amount of falls, cuts, bruises and deaths that have been caused by multiple young children playing together is appalling.
7) A young child with a scissor is like a loaded gun. Same goes for jump ropes (strangling hazard) and sharp tipped writing utensils like pens and pencils (Danger of poked eyeballs).
8) No water activities. Ever. Enough said
9) Needless to say, children shall never be in the vicinity of a motor vehicle
10) Independence is the bane of the young. Children shall be under mature adult supervision At. All. Times. Yes all times. Sleep apnea can become dangerous very fast.

These laws shall be strictly upheld until your child has reached the age of 18. According to a stricter interpretation these steps shall be continued until age 21.

Through following this method will we iy"h be assured of raising healthy young men and women who will be able to leave their mark on the world.

Just One

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:19 pm
A continuation of the thread 'Moms unite -SAFETY first! Enough!!'

Just One

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:21 pm
I am waiting nicely and patiently to be decapitated

simba

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:26 pm
Sorry. Not funny. This is a scary tragedy. The natural reaction is fear and anxiety.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:27 pm
Just One wrote:
I am waiting nicely and patiently to be decapitated

You forgot- never see a dr and NO vaccines god forbid

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:30 pm
OP, do you have kids??

1untamedgirl

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:31 pm
Sadly, many parents do exactly that and never allow their kids to become independent, self-autonomous adults. We can only do our best to give the kids the proper tools they need to survive in the world and hope and pray to Hashem that it should work out for the best.

https://www.factinate.com/expe.....juOxA

Wife1

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:32 pm
simba wrote:
Sorry. Not funny. This is a scary tragedy. The natural reaction is fear and anxiety.

Correct but our job is to do normal hishtadlis and let the kids go on trips.
And we have to daven

Just One

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:35 pm
simba wrote:

Go check which thread I'm referring to

Just One

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:36 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
Sadly, many parents do exactly that and never allow their kids to become independent, self-autonomous adults. We can only do our best to give the kids the proper tools they need to survive in the world and hope and pray to Hashem that it should work out for the best.

https://www.factinate.com/expe.....juOxA

Exactly the point I was trying to make with my tongue in cheek post

Just One

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:37 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
OP, do you have kids??

Several b"h. I daven, worry and care for them. But I want them to be healthy in spirit as well as in body

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:47 pm
I get what you're trying to say, some of the reactions to this tragedy have been a bit extreme, but I still think your post in insensitive.

People are (understandably) saddened and worried by this most recent tragedy. I may not agree with some of the reactive suggestions that I've seen (basically outlawing all trips), but making fun isn't going to help anything, and it really stings when there are parents mourning their 9 year old boy out there.

iluvdovi

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:50 pm
Yes tragedies are terrible and scary but most importantly they are NOT ordinary. Every tragedy that Hashem sends to Klal Yisroel is supposed to teach us something or wake us up to do something.

I personally dont think the message is not to go swimming or to bubble wrap your kids.

I think that in today's day and age we are SO comfortable. The "problems" we face nowadays are comical to our ancestors. The bounty and excess that we in enjoy is staggering. The freedom and prosperity we enjoy is miraculous.

Maybe the point of all these tragedies is to jar us out of our hazy lazy comfortable lives and remind us that our FATHER is not comfortable, HE is not happy and HE is suffering.

What have we done today to enable HASHEM to come Home? Have we thought about HIS suffering? HIS yearnings?

Maybe the job of this generation is to beg HASHEM for Moshiach, and long for HIS return Home even though we are so comfortable and varitably lack for nothing. The generations prior to us had it "easy" in terms of being able to yearn for Moshiach, their lives were tough, they were systematically being targeted and killed. Their tangible need for Moshiach to come was an everyday reality.

Perhaps our job is to long for Moshiach as much as our ancestors but not so that tragedies should end (although that is definitely an added bonus) but so that HASHEM should be brought HOME and HIS suffering should end. We should want it for HIM, not for what we stand to gain from it.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:07 pm
My DH had a draft card. His number was never called but many people his age and older, served. I wonder how many mothers called or wrote to their son's commanding officer to ask him to keep a close eye on their sons and I wonder how many commanding officers actually listened.

simba

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:19 pm
Just One wrote:
Go check which thread I'm referring to

No, I have enough anxiety without reading that thread. I still won’t make a joke of it. Insensitive.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:31 pm
My kids were supposed to go to a water park today. They were sleeping when I found out yesterday about Sarah Sam's, and I didn't tell them in the morning. Believe me I said my prayers. And then I get a phone call at work and the screen reads "day camp" - my heart just plunged. There was a recording in Yiddish and I don't really speak the language. I thought there was a message re trip and when they are coming home. BH not a scary phone call. And then I came home at 6pm and the kids are already home, though they were supposed to return by 8pm. My heart plunged again. (The trip was cancelled - I believe there are some belze families in the camp and it was too close to home...)
Please don't make fun of people who are worried. Hopefully, camps and parks will figure out correct measures, but for now the nerves are too raw.

mlc

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:36 pm
Just One wrote:
Dear parents,

It's a crazy world out there, our children are in constant danger. We need to do something!

I propose what's called The Sealed Room Method

These are the Ten Commandments of the Sealed Room Method:

1) At birth place child in sealed room
2) Install air filtration system so child is not G-d forbid exposed to the hazards of pollution
3) No furniture whatsoever shall be installed due to the danger of tip over incidents
4) No windows. Glass can be deadly
5) Any objects known to be the cause of possible concussions shall be disposed of immediately. This includes bicycles, table, chairs and playground equipment.
6) For the same reason as above there shall be no more than one child per sealed room. The amount of falls, cuts, bruises and deaths that have been caused by multiple young children playing together is appalling.
7) A young child with a scissor is like a loaded gun. Same goes for jump ropes (strangling hazard) and sharp tipped writing utensils like pens and pencils (Danger of poked eyeballs).
8) No water activities. Ever. Enough said
9) Needless to say, children shall never be in the vicinity of a motor vehicle
10) Independence is the bane of the young. Children shall be under mature adult supervision At. All. Times. Yes all times. Sleep apnea can become dangerous very fast.

These laws shall be strictly upheld until your child has reached the age of 18. According to a stricter interpretation these steps shall be continued until age 21.

Through following this method will we iy"h be assured of raising healthy young men and women who will be able to leave their mark on the world.

Ok so obviously doing that would be neurotic lol.

But I have a hard time appreciating humor when it’s in response to people’s post-tragedy anxiety. It is normal for a gut reaction to be extreme. Then people get over the initial freak attack and continue living, maybe with a few rational changes ,( like buckling seatbelts if they had been chilled about it until now...etc)

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:49 pm
Interestingly enough, I'm pretty chilled about these things and yet I didn't find the other thread extreme at all.

I honestly believe that we shouldn't be doing these trips in the three weeks. There's plenty other fun ways to occupy the kids.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:01 pm
If everything that is reasonable to do was done, then we can only hope that it doesn't happen again. If, however, safety measures need to be improved, then this tragedy should be a wake up call.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 12:20 am
Deleted

Last edited by Sunny Days on Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics