Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
These sentences have always filled me with dread...
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 4:50 pm
I can't help it. But when I hear certain sentences, my heart sinks to my stomach. It usually turns out to be a benign issue but... I could live my whole life happily without ever hearing...

We need to talk.

And..

I wasn't going to say this, but...

Am I the only one who has a literal rise in blood pressure at certain sentences aimed at me?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 4:58 pm
We need to talk is a bad one.

I'm not sure how to say this...

To be honest....

No offense...

It's Dr. (so-and-so) calling.

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:03 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
We need to talk is a bad one.

I'm not sure how to say this...

To be honest....

No offense...

It's Dr. (so-and-so) calling.

"to be honest" always confuses me. Were you lying up until now?!

And "No offense but..." is always sooo offensive! But there is an exception..
I got this one last week.

At the grocery, "No offense but the kid was ahead of you."

I said, "Thanks for caring! She's my granddaughter. I'm paying for whatever she grabbed.."

We had a laugh.

But otherwise... Nasty!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:04 pm
Are you the mother of.....

If it's a school, I am ready to faint!

giselle

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:05 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
I can't help it. But when I hear certain sentences, my heart sinks to my stomach. It usually turns out to be a benign issue but... I could live my whole life happily without ever hearing...

We need to talk.

And..

I wasn't going to say this, but...

Am I the only one who has a literal rise in blood pressure at certain sentences aimed at me?

With you on “we need to talk”! When I saw the thread title that was my immediate reaction!

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:06 pm
I really like you but...

OutATowner

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:07 pm
"I don't know how to say this, but..."

"Well I wasn't going to say anything, but..."

Anything with a but and an ellipses worthy pause!

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:10 pm
giselle wrote:
With you on “we need to talk”! When I saw the thread title that was my immediate reaction!

I once said it to my husband, and he literally turned white. And all I wanted to say was I thought one of my kids needed some financial assistance. But I don't use those words anymore. He told me afterwards he thought I was going to tell him someone was sick or died.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:13 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:

When my oldest was little we took a family vacation to Boston. They have a fantastic children's museum with a climbing structure in the middle. DD insisted on going in and she had a grand time climbing to the top but she had some trouble trying to come back down because her legs weren't quite long enough. Some little boy saw her having difficult and even though he was only a couple of years older he was so sweet and helped her all the way down. Then he ran off before I could thank him.

Later that day I spotted him again with a group that was presumably his family. I went over to the woman I guessed was his mom and said, "Your son..." And her eyes got wide and fearful like she assumed I was going to say something negative. But I quickly continued to tell her what happened and to praise the boy for helping and she was so happy to hear it.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:13 pm
I also hate 'did you hear what happened?' Hate!

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:16 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
I once said it to my husband, and he literally turned white. And all I wanted to say was I thought one of my kids needed some financial assistance. But I don't use those words anymore. He told me afterwards he thought I was going to tell him someone was sick or died.

I unfortunately have that fear now every time that I see one of my parents calling at a time when I don't expect it. My grandfather is in his 90s and has dementia and Parkinson's. I'm afraid they're going to say he was niftar.

Even though it feels like we lost him a few years ago to dementia, it's still a huge fear of mine...

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:22 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I really like you but...
Hug

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:22 pm
I'm not trying to pressure you but....

Forrealx

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:27 pm
Oh as someone with autism I totally hate this... also like '' what do you think about how the way you are doing this?''

''Do you mind?'' also something like that ''Yeah I mind if I need to behave differently, that means I can't be myself and it takes a lot of energy to act non autistisc and to do the way you want''. For instance at my inlaws where I'm tiptoe around and then I once do something and then it is all wrong and I'm like ''dude I'm talking here whole the time in english which is not my native tongue and I try to adapt so much... so ask tell me what you want and don't hint''

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:29 pm

My older daughter has a relatively common name. We didn't do it on purpose, but there you go. We would consistently get calls "This is so-and-so from School about DD" Then "Oh, gosh, I did it again! I'm sorry, its another child."

Forrealx

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:33 pm
I remember that my mom told me she was at the psychiatrist where she told that there was this birthday party and I asked to helped cooking because I was easily bored. And the psychiatrist said ''I woul be ashamed she should have played with other kids, she did not so...'' yeah did not how to. I was 13 also in a very stupid age range playing with 9 year olds is stupid.

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:33 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
When my oldest was little we took a family vacation to Boston. They have a fantastic children's museum with a climbing structure in the middle. DD insisted on going in and she had a grand time climbing to the top but she had some trouble trying to come back down because her legs weren't quite long enough. Some little boy saw her having difficult and even though he was only a couple of years older he was so sweet and helped her all the way down. Then he ran off before I could thank him.

Later that day I spotted him again with a group that was presumably his family. I went over to the woman I guessed was his mom and said, "Your son..." And her eyes got wide and fearful like she assumed I was going to say something negative. But I quickly continued to tell her what happened and to praise the boy for helping and she was so happy to hear it.

I think it's a real mother's instinct to worry. Glad you followed up with something good!

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:36 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I unfortunately have that fear now every time that I see one of my parents calling at a time when I don't expect it. My grandfather is in his 90s and has dementia and Parkinson's. I'm afraid they're going to say he was niftar.

Even though it feels like we lost him a few years ago to dementia, it's still a huge fear of mine...

Yes! That's a tremendous one for me! If the phone rings after 12, I know someone is in grave danger or someone nebach passed. I HATE picking up. But I do. Because I'm mom.

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:39 pm
Forrealx wrote:
Oh as someone with autism I totally hate this... also like '' what do you think about how the way you are doing this?''

''Do you mind?'' also something like that ''Yeah I mind if I need to behave differently, that means I can't be myself and it takes a lot of energy to act non autistisc and to do the way you want''. For instance at my inlaws where I'm tiptoe around and then I once do something and then it is all wrong and I'm like ''dude I'm talking here whole the time in english which is not my native tongue and I try to adapt so much... so ask tell me what you want and don't hint''

Yeah. Someone needs a punch. Or a face plant...

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:40 pm
I also hate 'did you hear what happened?' Hate!

Unfortunately, I heard that a lot this week. Let's hope we never have to hear that again, unless it's simchos.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)