Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
These sentences have always filled me with dread...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 5:20 am
What's the alternative to "We need to talk?"

I know it's a bad one but I do use it a lot and cannot find a good alternative. Sometimes I need to talk about something to do with the other person, sometimes it's just about me. But these days it's hard for people to make time, how do I convey that I need to share something important and the person should make time?

SHS

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:55 am
I think you should ask "dr ...."he's really good
I saw your child today AND ...

aricelli

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 7:52 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
And.... When was your last mammogram?

(last year. I'm done.)

This ones worse:
From my dentist:
Are you sure youre flossing your teeth regularly

aricelli

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 7:52 am
Or
“Root canal!”

Stars

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:17 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
This already happened. My friend was pregnant and I told her I would take her son who's my son's age when she has the baby. She called me about 6 weeks ago to say that if her mother can't take her 2 yo daughter, can I take her too?

How can I say no? I had them both! I know it doesn't sound tragic but it was a maddddd house here for 10 days. My husband said I should have said no. How?

I don't understand this. I've said no to stuff plenty times.

"I'm sorry, I don't think I/my family could handle that right now"

Or

"No."

Or

"I would have loved t, but with our current schedule/family dynamics that would be too much"

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:30 am
This one makes me cringe...
Picture the sound effects of a defiant 13 year old boy whose voice is more of a man now than a kid.... it’s usually coming from another floor of our house:

“MAAAAAAAAAAAAAA???”

The request that comes after is usually one that provokes an argument

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:46 am
My absolute worst is "im not going". what do I do now???

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:08 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:

I know it's a bad one but I do use it a lot and cannot find a good alternative. Sometimes I need to talk about something to do with the other person, sometimes it's just about me. But these days it's hard for people to make time, how do I convey that I need to share something important and the person should make time?

My advice? Just TALK! Don't preface it. Talk. It's the dread that puts you in a terror frame of mind. But if you walk up to your husband and just say,

"Please don't disparage me in front of others like at dinner.." done! Finished. Now it's his turn.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:13 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:

Just say "um hey," and say what you need to say. Skip the unnecessary drama. My heart even flies down to my toes when they say "we need to talk" in a movie.

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:16 am
aricelli wrote:
Or
“Root canal!”

It was hard to click "like" on root canal!

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:24 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
My absolute worst is "im not going". what do I do now???

I dont want to see
(I feel like that too some days..)

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:27 am
Stars wrote:
I don't understand this. I've said no to stuff plenty times.

"I'm sorry, I don't think I/my family could handle that right now"

Or

"No."

Or

"I would have loved t, but with our current schedule/family dynamics that would be too much"

There are some people I can't say it to. They're too sensitive and they get insulted and angry and won't talk to me and we have to go through a long drawn out make up conversation... It's just not worth the hassle. You have to know who you're dealing with

Stars

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:30 am
There are some people I can't say it to. They're too sensitive and they get insulted and angry and won't talk to me and we have to go through a long drawn out make up conversation... It's just not worth the hassle. You have to know who you're dealing with

No, you don't. That's you being codependent. I do a LOT of favors for a lot of people, but if I feel I can't do something, I won't - no matter what that person's reaction might be. It's not your problem, it's theirs. Learn this early on in life and you'll save yourself lots and lots of grief, heartache and burnout.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:51 am
Stars wrote:
No, you don't. That's you being codependent. I do a LOT of favors for a lot of people, but if I feel I can't do something, I won't - no matter what that person's reaction might be. It's not your problem, it's theirs. Learn this early on in life and you'll save yourself lots and lots of grief, heartache and burnout.

I hear you. I do. And I will try in the future. My husband says I let people take advantage of me. But I don't have the courage to say these things. It's so much easier not to. But I will try. I don't need grief or burnout

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:56 am
"there's something I've been meaning to tell you, but I was waiting for the right moment..."

Arggggg! And I guess now just happens to be the 'right moment'? For you? For me? Cuz for me, there is NEVER a 'right moment'.

People! Don't be sooo dramatic! You're killing me with your preface!

(ooh! Good book title! "Killing me with Prefaces" by Dedin Berried)

aricelli

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:48 am
Where are you up to with your pesach cleaning
Did you turn over
Did you start cooking
(Hey- why isnt there even one thread on succos menu yet?

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:59 am
aricelli wrote:
Where are you up to with your pesach cleaning
Did you turn over
Did you start cooking
(Hey- why isnt there even one thread on succos menu yet?

Cuz normal people are done for Sukkos. Duh... So, anyone try that latka with pulled beef recipe? I'm having like 24 people and I want to know if it's worth the hassle.... Very Happy LOL

(please don't start a Sukkos thread, I beg u)

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:01 am
Another one..

"I was supposed to pick her up?! I thought YOU were supposed to pick her up!"

Zehava

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:09 am

I don’t have anyone like that in my life. For good reason. The makeup conversation would never happen. If anyone doesn’t talk to me because I agreed to take one of their kids but not two, they can let themselves out of my life.

aricelli

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:09 am
Are you listening to shiduchim yet?
Aaaaaaargh

Last edited by aricelli on Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)