Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Stackable washer/dryer practical?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:48 am
Would you say a stackable washer dryer is practical for a growing family? given the choice, you rather regular side by sides in a basement or stackable in a more convenient location? worried that the stackable will be too small.

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would you say a stackable washer dryer is practical for a growing family? given the choice, you rather regular side by sides in a basement or stackable in a more convenient location? worried that the stackable will be too small.

I find them handy here in Israel, where space is at a premium, as it halves the footprint required in my laundry room.

We do laundry very frequently, but that works out fine because our closets are small so we don't have tons of clothes.

I would love to have a basement. Very Happy

Last edited by DrMom on Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:55 am
Most front loader washers can be stacked. There's a special bracket for it. I had mine stacked in my old apartment due to lack of space. Now I use it side by side. I like it better side by side, it's more convenient.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:57 am
How far down is it to the basement?

I used to have laundry in the basement, and I was always ending up rewashing a load of laundry that I had forgotten to get to the dryer in a timely manner.

Now that I moved I have my laundry room right off the kitchen. I can't tell you how much easier this is. If a stackable is your only option in a convenient place, maybe it's worth doing more loads?

srbmom

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:00 am
I'd go with the stackable. They're made pretty well nowadays that they're not even so small. Even if you have to do an extra load or two a week it's worth the convenience.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:01 am
Chayalle wrote:
How far down is it to the basement?

I used to have laundry in the basement, and I was always ending up rewashing a load of laundry that I had forgotten to get to the dryer in a timely manner.

Now that I moved I have my laundry room right off the kitchen. I can't tell you how much easier this is. If a stackable is your only option in a convenient place, maybe it's worth doing more loads?

basement is far down because it isnt finished. so not going down for any other purpose.. I really want to move it up, just have very limited space to do so and would have to do a stackable for sure..

on a side note, would you put a washer/dryer in the bathroom? is that gross?

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:02 am
Stackable units are smaller but I think the convenience of not having to shlep to the basement outweighs having to do more loads. When the washer/dryer is right there, it's not a big deal to just do more loads.

Some units have a larger capacity than others. Would you also need a ventless dryer? I just installed a stackable washer/dryer in my condo and since I can't vent to the exterior, the dryer is ventless.

I know this might sound crazy but you could also have a regular washer dryer in the basement for stuff that requires a large capacity. There are people who do have the set up - e.g. units located near the bedrooms and a regular unit in the basement. You might be able to get the basement unit relatively inexpensively.

If you do install upstairs, make sure to install a water alarm. This shuts off the machine if any water is sensed coming from it. I actually installed water alarms on all my "watery" appliances - dishwasher, refrigerator with ice maker as well as the washer/dryer.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:12 am
Just one thing for you to consider-my husband is an appliance repairman. One of the biggest gripes in the trade is when theres stackable units squished into a tight space. When he's called in to fix something on the top unit or the bottom unit, he needs to get it down in order to gain access. Most of the time he needs to call someone in to help him lower it-this takes additional resources and time, and if youve squeezed it in really well and its harder to access, a lot of aggravation. What may have once been a quicker, simpler, cheaper job, may turn into a longer, more complicated one.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
basement is far down because it isnt finished. so not going down for any other purpose.. I really want to move it up, just have very limited space to do so and would have to do a stackable for sure..

on a side note, would you put a washer/dryer in the bathroom? is that gross?

how big is your bathroom? it could actually be very convenient. I remember a family I knew growing up that had this long bathroom, and a washer/dryer in that space.

My mother A"H had it in her kitchen. She had a set of sliding doors built in front of it. Everyone thought it was a Pesach kitchen. In fact, the contractor put some cabinets on the walls over the machines, and she kept her Pesach dishes in there. On Pesach, she covered the surface of the dryer and we would lift stuff down, it was like a "counter".

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:21 am
Amarante wrote:

I know this might sound crazy but you could also have a regular washer dryer in the basement for stuff that requires a large capacity. There are people who do have the set up - e.g. units located near the bedrooms and a regular unit in the basement. You might be able to get the basement unit relatively inexpensively.

My friend sold her smaller house to someone who was knocking it down and building a larger one on the property, and they told her to feel free to take anything with her to her new home. So she took her washer/dryer and installed it in the basement. She now has two laundry rooms. After Y"T or the nine days, she finishes up her laundry in half the time.

momsrus

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:27 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Most front loader washers can be stacked. There's a special bracket for it. I had mine stacked in my old apartment due to lack of space. Now I use it side by side. I like it better side by side, it's more convenient.

This is correct.

If you have the height required for it, why not do this?

Best of both worlds.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:34 am
Chayalle wrote:
My friend sold her smaller house to someone who was knocking it down and building a larger one on the property, and they told her to feel free to take anything with her to her new home. So she took her washer/dryer and installed it in the basement. She now has two laundry rooms. After Y"T or the nine days, she finishes up her laundry in half the time.

Maybe it's the same home as my friend's mother just sold her home as a knockdown and gave away the appliances. Very Happy

But you can probably get a simple washer dryer used or there are places that sell scratched/dented appliances. And also you could get a relatively simple inexpensive machine for the basement since it's a secondary machine for big loads so wouldn't need all the fancy cycles.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:37 am
My front loader machines are stacked. I did this because I’m tall and I wanted to avoid bending low as much as possible.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:41 am
Washer/dryer in a bathroom isn't gross at all IMO. I know many people with limited space who do that. Generally they are enclosed in a cabinet with doors so that you don't see the washer/dryer when the cabinet doors are closed. Not sure why it is gross - we shower and bathe; wash our faces and brush our teeth in a bathroom so we already mix activities in which we go in dirty and come out clean LOL.

I had mine installed in my closet rather than the bathroom because logistically it seemed to work better and even though I gave up some closet space I had my closet interiors done and it is amazing how much I can fit back in even after losing space to the washer/dryers.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:49 am
I have stacked front-loading washer/dryer (Whirlpool Duet) in a closet in my bathroom (open) and I love it! The machines are huge and fit a ton of laundry, and it's so convenient having in the room where so much of the laundry is generated anyways. So much easier than shlepping up and down stairs with laundry.

Teomima

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:30 am
Like DrMom said, here in Israel many, if not most, people have stackable front - loaders. I have relatively large machines (8 kilo capacity each) and it's more than enough for our family of 6.
I would hate to have to schlep up and down stairs to the basement carrying all the laundry back and forth! I'd definitely go for stackable machines that are more conveniently located, especially if they're on the same floor as the bedrooms.

simba

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:56 am
Another vote for stacking a front loader in a convenient location.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 12:27 pm
Buy full size machines that have an option for buying mounting piece that makes them stackable.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 1:38 pm
A stacked unit in a bathroom is better than having to trek to the basement to do laundry. I've designed bathroom installations before (see link with pics and note the hampers under the counter): https://design613.com/projects.....imore and I'm designing one now. One big advantage to a bathroom install over some other main floor or upper floor locations is that you get a sink in the same room just a few feet away.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 1:43 pm
I have stackables upstairs in the bathroom & regular in the basement. It was one of the BEST decisions ever to put it upstairs, it made life so much more pleasant😃 I use the basement ones rarely.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics