Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pay neighbors to bring home my kids
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:23 pm
I will have a babysitter in my home all day with my baby but she doesn't drive. I would like to pay neighbors to bring home my other two kids from preschool since they have kids in the same schools as I do. ( my 2 kids are in diff schools)

How much would you offer/charge for this arrangement?

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:25 pm
I would try to calculate how much it would cost with Uber and offer the same

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:25 pm
Ask the neighbor herself. She will tell you have much she is willing to do it for.

Stars

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:28 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

Tying yourself down every single day to do carpool with no return is more than an Uber. It means no appointments or errands straight after school, ever. And if one day you can't make it you now have 2 additional kids to figure out what to do with.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:30 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

An Uber would have to sit on the long carpool line and wait for my kids so it would probably cost a lot! But these mom's are anyways doing the carpool for their own kids so wouldn't that be a factor?

Has anyone ever had this arrangement? How much did you charge/ pay?

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:30 pm
Stars wrote:
Tying yourself down every single day to do carpool with no return is more than an Uber. It means no appointments or errands straight after school, ever. And if one day you can't make it you now have 2 additional kids to figure out what to do with.

The mom can tell op in advance that on xx day she can't do it. Op will have to find other arrangements for those days

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
An Uber would have to sit on the long carpool line and wait for my kids so it would probably cost a lot! But these mom's are anyways doing the carpool for their own kids so wouldn't that be a factor?

I did it once for am elementary age child but I would think you need to pay more for a preschool kid because of car seats , potential tantrums , etc. How long of a drive is it? I would guess $5-10 a day.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:38 pm
Stars wrote:

It depends how far it is from the school to the neighborhood where you live. If it's pretty close, then it's not true that the other mom couldn't do errands or make appointments right after Preschool pick up. I've carpooled and after I bring the other kids home, I continued on to my errand or my appointment.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I will have a babysitter in my home all day with my baby but she doesn't drive. I would like to pay neighbors to bring home my other two kids from preschool since they have kids in the same schools as I do. ( my 2 kids are in diff schools)

How much would you offer/charge for this arrangement?

Perhaps ask her if she'd be interested in a carpool with you. You can take her kids in the morning and she can bring them home in the afternoon. Depending on her situation, that might be more attractive than cash.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:19 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I did it once for am elementary age child but I would think you need to pay more for a preschool kid because of car seats , potential tantrums , etc. How long of a drive is it? I would guess $5-10 a day.

The drive is about 10 minutes. The neighbors would be most probably be carpooling anyways so would have to come straight home to drop off the other kids. Instead of taking my turn, I would like to join and pay since I work full time and cant actually do the pickup.

Curious to hear from others who did it?

amother1223

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:29 pm
Following

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's a big pain having someone else's kid during carpools.

Is your babysitter going to get your preschooler out of the car? Or is the mom going to have to look for parking and schlep both her kid and yours in inclement weather.

What happens when the mom isn't feeling well or her kid isn't feeling well or a different child of hers is not well? What happens when the babysitter doesn't show up?

If you pay what an Uber would cost you are still paying half because the Uber doesn't have to pick up your baby and babysitter before picking up your preschooler. You aren't just paying for the ride, you are paying for the chaperone of your child also.

I wouldn't do this for less than $10 a day. Or I would do it as a favor when it worked out with your babysitter promptly picking up the preschooler.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:49 pm
I don't really get why this is such a huge deal. In some schools, carpooling is the norm. You're asking to pay for your carpool instead of sharing the driving. There are people do that where I live and it works out just fine. They know they're taking on a responsibility, but so is any carpool. People do charge a lot where I live, IMO. Like $200/month round trip.

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:51 pm
I think you should ask the neighbor if she is amenable to doing this and if so, how much she would charge.

Only the person doing the "job" can calculate how much it is worth it to her to have this additional responsibility. It would also depend on her financial situation and you wouldn't necessarily know that. Some people would not want to do it because it's not worth it to them based on how they structure their afternoons.

It's really not a question of what a "going rate" is because you aren't necessarily compensating her on a straight time for taxi services.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:53 pm
If you break $200 a month down, that comes out to the amount Squishy mentioned, $10 a day. It is an extra responsibility even if the parent is going anyway. I would say that is a fair price.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:56 pm
If you're going to anyhow shell out money for this driving service from your neighbor.... I'd rather put more money towards hiring a different babysitter - one who drives and has her own car. I think it's a much more sensible and reliable arrangement.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:58 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
If you're going to anyhow shell out money for this driving service from your neighbor.... I'd rather put more money towards hiring a different babysitter - one who drives and has her own car. I think it's a much more sensible and reliable arrangement.

Have you ever had a babysitter in your home? When you find a good one, you hold onto her for dear life. I would definitely not go through the major hassle of finding a new babysitter who's really great if I already had one.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:00 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Have you ever had a babysitter in your home? When you find a good one, you hold onto her for dear life. I would definitely not go through the major hassle of finding a new babysitter who's really great if I already had one.

You have a point. But I guess I would just never consider anyone without transportation to be a good babysitter. Guess it depends on where you live and lifestyle/ needs but to me hiring someone without the ability to drive is a no-go.

amother1223

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:05 pm
I’m in the same situation but our school is 25 mins away each way. How much per day or weekly would you say is fair? For a 5 year old in a car seat and we are on the family’s way

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:15 pm
I did this. Payed $5 a time. There were a few mothers that said no because it was an inconvenience but this mother was not busy in the afternoon so to her it was an extra 100$ a month for a few minutes each day.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics