Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Pet peeves! What's yours?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

yersp

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 10:49 pm
Before I begin, I just wanted to say that I looked at other pet peeve threads and I didn't want to revive old threads and the latest one didn't cover my pet peeve..... So here it goes: (feel free to chime in with any pet peeve under the sun that bothers you. Please keep it respectful)

I go nuts when talking to people and they say MY _____ (child's name) too many times in a sentence or it's my son/daughter. For example: so I sent my Sury to the store and my Sury couldn't find what I was looking for, so my Sury called home and double checked with me what I needed. My Sury is such a big girl.....
Why can't you just say Sury. I know whom you're talking about. I know you have a daughter (or son) and I know what their name is.
Or, if you have 5 boys and you're telling me what your son did, why do I need to do the math in my head: the oldest two are in camp, the youngest one is too young, it has to be son #3 because son #4 is very young too. And when I ask which son are you talking about why are you getting all annoyed with me?? I'm not in your house and I'm not in your head. You can say your son's name. Our kids don't share the same name and even if they do, I know you're talking about your son. Sheesh.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:00 am
In the end the worst is willful ignorance

tweety1

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:44 am
Chewing loudly. I literally have a nervous breakdown.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:48 am
Apostrophes erroneously used to create plurals instead of possessives.

singleagain

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:55 am
Ppl who don't understand that there is such a thing as parking lot etiquette.

fraimal

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 7:55 am
DrMom wrote:
Apostrophe's erroneously used to create plural's instead of possessive's.

Yup it's really brother's me so much

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:04 am
fraimal wrote:
Yup it's really brother's me so much

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL You are so mean!

My current pet peeve, is the construction that is going on in the apartment next door to me. I have a long narrow apartment, and they are doing work all along our shared wall. There is no escaping it.

In Israel, that means sawing and drilling through concrete, jack hammering, and tearing out stone tiles. They are completely gutting the entire thing, leaving only a shell. Then they are going to rebuild the whole apartment over again from the floor up. This will probably take at least a year.

The noise starts at 7:30 am until 5pm, 6 days a week.

I can't even hear myself think. Ear plugs barely take the edge off of it. I can't hear the phone, I can't watch the news. I can't talk to company when they come over, unless we yell at the top of our lungs.

I really want to go over there and do something to them with their own power tools. Mad

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:26 am
singleagain wrote:
Ppl who don't understand that there is such a thing as parking lot etiquette.

What is parking lot etiquette?

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:35 am
I have so many grammar/word usage pet peeves.

"I'm defiantly going to invite you for Shabbos sometime!" No. The word you want is "definitely."

"I don't know, I'm weary of that kind of situation." No. The word you want is "wary."

"She's older then me." No. The word you want is "than."

"All those stuff." No. Stuff is singular. You want "All that stuff" or "All those things."

Apostrophe misusage, as people have said.

Shuly

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:18 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL You are so mean!

My current pet peeve, is the construction that is going on in the apartment next door to me. I have a long narrow apartment, and they are doing work all along our shared wall. There is no escaping it.

In Israel, that means sawing and drilling through concrete, jack hammering, and tearing out stone tiles. They are completely gutting the entire thing, leaving only a shell. Then they are going to rebuild the whole apartment over again from the floor up. This will probably take at least a year.

The noise starts at 7:30 am until 5pm, 6 days a week.

I can't even hear myself think. Ear plugs barely take the edge off of it. I can't hear the phone, I can't watch the news. I can't talk to company when they come over, unless we yell at the top of our lungs.

I really want to go over there and do something to them with their own power tools. Mad

Oy FF, I lived underneath apt's doing construction twice and it was torture each time.
The good news is that the drilling shouldn't take a year, more like 4-6 months. Then they just hammer a lot. My only advice is to stay out of the house as much as you can. Hug

Flip Flops

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:26 am
finallyamommy wrote:
I have so many grammar/word usage pet peeves.

"I'm defiantly going to invite you for Shabbos sometime!" No. The word you want is "definitely."

"I don't know, I'm weary of that kind of situation." No. The word you want is "wary."

"She's older then me." No. The word you want is "than."

"All those stuff." No. Stuff is singular. You want "All that stuff" or "All those things."

Apostrophe misusage, as people have said.

I think spellcheck is to blame for that...

yerushamama

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:43 am
people who interrupt, then accuse me of interrupting when I try to continue what I was saying Banging head

singleagain

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:56 am
1ofbillions wrote:
What is parking lot etiquette?

Not sitting in the driver's seat in a close space waiting for someone. Wait at the end of the lot and drive to pick up the person. Leave the spot open for a car where everyone is getting out.

Don't sit in the spot and take forever to buckle up etc if there is someone wanting. Especially, in a small parking lot.

Let ppl out of the spot! I have been with my dad multiple times in parking lots where I have to get out of the car and stop the traffic so he can get out, bc ppl just aren't stopping.

Parking lots are not streets, don't drive fast.

But parking lots are not safe, don't be on the phone just bc your not on a street.

Let pedestrians cross. But pedestrians don't jump in front of the cars.

Einikel

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 11:31 am
Using the phrase “in person” when describing inanimate objects.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 11:33 am
Bad grammar, both written and spoken.

Fast forward anywhere other than a player or recorder. When describing life, say "a few years later", or whatever applies.

Flip Flops

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 12:57 pm
singleagain wrote:

Don't sit in the spot and take forever to buckle up etc if there is someone wanting. Especially, in a small parking lot.

While this is super annoying, did you ever try buckling up with 5 cranky kids?
One child pulls the other ones hair, she hits back, now they are both crying, the baby spills a water bottle all over himself, another child is searching for his chocolate bar among all the bags, and yet another is yelling for you to put on the cd already...
Sometimes you just got to do what works for you and it's a bit too bad if someone wants your spot.
The only time this bothers me is when someone buckles in and then starts checking their phone...

singleagain

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:04 pm
Flip Flops wrote:
While this is super annoying, did you ever try buckling up with 5 cranky kids?
One child pulls the other ones hair, she hits back, now they are both crying, the baby spills a water bottle all over himself, another child is searching for his chocolate bar among all the bags, and yet another is yelling for you to put on the cd already...
Sometimes you just got to do what works for you and it's a bit too bad if someone wants your spot.
The only time this bothers me is when someone buckles in and then starts checking their phone...

I'm not taking about putting kids in the car. I'm talking about getting in and taking forever to buckle up and adjust your mirrors. Look at the phone. Wait for the AC to start. Put on your navigation. Especially, when I'm waiting there. Just pull out. And find a quite corner of the parking lot to adjust everything.

ETA: I especially remember one time, in a teeny tiny parking lot, (like a maybe seven space lot) someone got into their car, and then spend several minutes, talking to their friends who was standing next to the car. That is just not right.

essie14

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 3:13 pm
The parking lot etiquette!! They will never learn. I've been driving for almost 30 years and it will forever be a problem.

My latest is parents who serve meals to their kids in the park and then don't clean up. I'm not your garbage collector.

penguin

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 4:25 pm
Writers who write in the present tense.

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 4:27 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Chewing loudly. I literally have a nervous breakdown.

That's not a "pet peeve", that's misophonia, which is an actual condition.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics