Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Converting double garage: space planning

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:22 am
Tell me how you converted or would dream to convert a double garage:

Which rooms and how many, bedrooms or office, store perhaps

Did you keep some space for storing bikes, equipment etc.

Did you install bathrooms: half , full or smth else

Layout options

Tell me anything and everything.
I’m not ready to convert mine yet but like to dream plan.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:45 am
We converted our double garage into a spare bedroom/office/ therapy room.
It was built up to be level with the main floor so that my elderly mother could walk easily from the room to the house when my parents came to visit. We also included a 4 piece bathroom. We put in baseboard heating (plus a heater underneath the room). We live in a cold winter climate. There is also an air conditioner built into a wall. We couldn't put any windows so we put a skylight with a hatch that opens and a special insulated shade that makes the room dark when needed.
We don't have a garage that has room for cars. However, there is storage space underneath and in the front few feet inside the garage. We did this 20 years ago.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:06 am
I had a double car garage off my kitchen that I converted into living space. One very larger (500 sq ft) room. I took down the wall between the kitchen and the garage. It is a few steps down but it makes my house so much bigger. I’m so happy the I didn’t keep any of it as a storage room or garage. It’s such a nice big space. I did make one wall of 2’ deep closets.
I just did this a few months ago it was the best $$ we could have put into our house.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 3:50 pm
I converted it into a work space. I see clients and its nice that they can come in thru a private back door. I also have a bathroom. The 1st 5 ft of the garage I left raw. The garage door opens completely and im able to use it for bikes and succah boards...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 3:54 pm
My parents did this years ago on their house. They made a Massive family room and also a room with handicap accessible bathroom. That way, older ppl had a place to stay without steps and we can accommodate a wheelchair if needed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics