Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Scarves as tichels-are they considered fine/classy?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:29 am
This may seem to be a shallow question...and I hope I'm not offending anyone...really just asking to know.

I am asking about the Israeli scarves that people wear as tichels. Are they considered classy and fine or are they more of a statement? Are women in typical in-town communities such as Brooklyn/Lakewood wearing them?

I personally think they are much prettier/feminine than the typical chenille snoods.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:58 am
More of a statement, for sure. In my community (OOT but with an in-town mentality), mostly Chabad wear them (I love Chabad, just so you know), and they are considered "cool" and "with-it", but not necessarily refined or classy.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:12 am
It depends where. In Israel people don't look twice. In brooklyn, I'm not so sure.

mochamix18

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 3:20 am
LovesHashem wrote:
It depends where. In Israel people don't look twice. In brooklyn, I'm not so sure.

OP was referring to places like Brooklyn and Lakewood. So glad I live in Israel

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:32 am
I don't live in Israel, Brooklyn, or Lakewood (or anywhere in NY or NJ). But I don't wear a sheitel. What else are people supposed to wear if for any reason, they don't hold by wigs? I promise, it’s not to make a statement of any sort and some people put on a tichel. What else would you like us to cover with? A garbage bag? My tichels are beautiful. “Classy” and “refined” are all so highly subjective, yet are used in some frum communities to be a term to reflect the local standard and a way to put down others who do other than that. The term is divisive at best and time to retire them.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:12 am
Inlakewood it is 100% fine. I wouldn't say classy, I don't think anything is classy other than mid length or short hair or wig, but definitely not standing out or anything like that. I wear them.

giselle

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:19 am
Snoods are not exactly classy either...

mochamix18

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:27 am
Ladies no matter how you cover your hair a touch of makeup and a little jewelry (earrings) can go a long way in the classy department.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:28 am
I live in the five towns and plenty ppl wear them. I wouldn’t call them classy or refined. It’s more a cool casual look

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:32 am
I wear snoods made out of Israeli scarf material. It's not considered classy or fancy, but I don't care. It helps me handle the heat. The scarfs let sideburns show which isn't considered classy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:20 pm
So basically if worn in Brooklyn/Lakewood type of communities, you are making a trendy/cool sort of statement? aarrgh...why??

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:25 pm
No. Tichels wearing doesn't = making any kind of statement other than you cover your hair statement. Its OK to wear in Brooklyn especially in the summer.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So basically if worn in Brooklyn/Lakewood type of communities, you are making a trendy/cool sort of statement? aarrgh...why??

Or maybe they are making a "I find it more comfortable" sort of statement, or a "I like the look" sort of statement.................

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That's not at all what I said.
Cute maybe, or feminine and pretty. Not trendy or cool per se. (But not classy either)

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No. Thats the opinion of a few ladies on this site. You do realize that there are many MANY women who don't wear sheitels, right? And many of them live in the areas you mentioned. And they are just quietly and earnestly going about their lives with a tichel on their head as part of their avodas Hashem. Not as a statement. Not even in Holy Lakewood or Brooklyn.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:39 pm
Everything worn, not just by Jewish people, is statement.

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:45 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
That's not at all what I said.
Cute maybe, or feminine and pretty. Not trendy or cool per se. (But not classy either)

So in your opinion, the only women who’s kisui rosh is “classy” are those with a hashkafic or halachic understanding inline with yours?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 3:13 pm
watergirl wrote:
So in your opinion, the only women who’s kisui rosh is “classy” are those with a hashkafic or halachic understanding inline with yours?

I wear Tichels. They are not classy on me. I do think in Israel some women do look classy in tichels but in my personal opinion they usually look beautiful and cultural but not what I'd term "classy."

tigerwife

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 3:39 pm
Classy to me is pearls and an LBD. If we’re talking hair, I’d say a neat chignon. I wouldn’t call a headscarf classy but that doesn’t make it a bad thing; au contraire, I love scarves. I mostly wear a wig out, but if it were a choice between a snood or a scarf, I feel much more dressed in a scarf.
I live pretty much in town. No one cares.

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 3:57 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I wear Tichels. They are not classy on me. I do think in Israel some women do look classy in tichels but in my personal opinion they usually look beautiful and cultural but not what I'd term "classy."

Ok. Then I’ll refer back to my first post on this thread. Its past time to abolish this term. Its judgmental and highly subjective at best. Divisive and separatist at its core.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics