Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Kitchen renovation

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:39 pm
Seeking recommendations for someone who refinishes kitchen cabinets and installs new countertops. Not a complete new kitchen. Brooklyn. TIA.

headabovewater

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:39 pm
Don't have someone for cabinets, but would suggest you get a handyman to remove your old countertops and get the granite from D & R Marble 4205 Glenwood Rd in Brooklyn. I used them a while back. They were very good and the cheapest. Regardless of who you use, I would make sure to use a place like that - one the specializes in installing countertops.
It will be cheaper and come out better than using a handyman. The granite fabricators usually don't remove old countertops.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:44 pm
I’ve worked at a kitchen place and have overheard the sales people mention many times that it comes out more expensive to reface kitchens cabinets than to install an entirely new kitchen.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 12:58 am
Thank you headabovewater and thunderstorm for your responses. Both informative and helpful.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:19 am
I'm redoing my kitchen now and buying ready to assemble cabinets from kabinet king. I went to their showroom to see them in person and they were really nice. I priced the kitchen plans in 4-5 places and that was the cheapest by about $3,000.

My husband is pretty handy and he's going to put them together. It doesn't look very hard to do, it has notches and grooves and half the hardware already installed.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 6:50 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I'm redoing my kitchen now and buying ready to assemble cabinets from kabinet king. I went to their showroom to see them in person and they were really nice. I priced the kitchen plans in 4-5 places and that was the cheapest by about $3,000.

My husband is pretty handy and he's going to put them together. It doesn't look very hard to do, it has notches and grooves and half the hardware already installed.

Is your husband going to install them also? It takes a kitchen guy not a regular carpenter to hang a kitchen.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 6:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seeking recommendations for someone who refinishes kitchen cabinets and installs new countertops. Not a complete new kitchen. Brooklyn. TIA.

The whole kitchen can look different and great with new counter tops and backsplash. My relative did it. Go for it without redoing the cabinets. Get a handyman to fix what's necessary on the cabinets.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:27 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
The whole kitchen can look different and great with new counter tops and backsplash. My relative did it. Go for it without redoing the cabinets. Get a handyman to fix what's necessary on the cabinets.

This is what I want to do. The cabinets are solid wood and in great condition. The doors need to be refaced. But the counters need to be replaced. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:34 am
As posted above, to do a quality job of refinishing cabinets is expensive. It is often almost the same price as getting new cabinets especially if you add in the price of a new counter.

Think carefully about the condition of your cabinets? Is the layout as functional as possible? Most importantly are the cabinets themselves good quality - do you have mostly drawers in lower cabinets? What about drawers - are they full extension.

To amother Siena - If you are going the ready to assemble route, you should use IKEA kitchen cabinets. For the price they are excellent quality including their hardware which is manufactured by Blum. Their installation system is geared to DIY because of the way they fasten to the wall. They have kitchen designers available as well as on line software.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is what I want to do. The cabinets are solid wood and in great condition. The doors need to be refaced. But the counters need to be replaced. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Refacing is not worthwhile.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 3:14 pm
We replaced our counters and backsplash. We also replaced notrefaced the fronts of all our cabinets and surrounding trim. Worked out cheaper, faster and less messy than a full redo. It's beautiful and fresh looking.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:32 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
We replaced our counters and backsplash. We also replaced notrefaced the fronts of all our cabinets and surrounding trim. Worked out cheaper, faster and less messy than a full redo. It's beautiful and fresh looking.

Are you in Brooklyn? Who did it for you?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics