Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What are your tricks/tips for an easier fast?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Amalia

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:45 pm
Thank you so much to everyone who replied so far!

amother
Black

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:38 pm
Anon because I talk about this sometimes, and don't know anybody else who does:

One year DH almost passed out on Yom Kippur, and afterward, somebody gave him a suggestion that he's been using for years. There's an Israeli product for babies called sukar anavim (grape sugar), and DH takes several cups of it dissolved in water before a fast and claims that he's not even hungry at the end of the fast.

It's not so easy to find in the US - I think one brand is B&D. It's a totally natural product, so no downside to it. It may be similar to eating grapes or drinking grape juice, but it definitely works in our family.

Amalia

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:37 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:

One year DH almost passed out on Yom Kippur, and afterward, somebody gave him a suggestion that he's been using for years. There's an Israeli product for babies called sukar anavim (grape sugar), and DH takes several cups of it dissolved in water before a fast and claims that he's not even hungry at the end of the fast.

It's not so easy to find in the US - I think one brand is B&D. It's a totally natural product, so no downside to it. It may be similar to eating grapes or drinking grape juice, but it definitely works in our family.

That’s so interesting, thank you so much for posting! I am a very bad faster, so I’ll look into it. Thanks!

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:53 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Toronto Kollel fasting pills.

I second this!
I take before every fast.
The Toronto kollel has a pharmacist who specially makes slow release fasting pills. So you take them at night, they start working 12 h later and work for 12 hours. They are veggie capsules that you swallow and digest slowly. They come in ibuprofen (aka advil) acitomenaphin (tylenol) and my favorite, caffeine.
They have ppl who sell for them in many many communities and the profit goes to tzedaka for the kollel, run by Rav Miller.
They are a life changer.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:23 am
Amalia wrote:
Thank you to everyone who replied so far!

I saw salt pills mentioned on another thread: do you find that they help? If so, when do you take them? (I’ve never heard of them until they were mentioned on that thread - don’t remember what it was called, sorry.)

I take them daily.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:35 am
Tylenol+caffeine suppositories. Life-changers.
I will try gatorade this year too.

Emotional

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:37 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I’m sure you can find electrolyte drinks without all that sugar and color.

What about unflavored Pedialyte? I was wondering if I should try it.

mochamix18

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 2:23 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I’m sure you can find electrolyte drinks without all that sugar and color.
coconut water natural nourishing electrolyte rich

mochamix18

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 2:26 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:

It’s basically dextrose. It’s good to know it has a good use. I live in Israel and am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that people give this to babies. It rots their little teeth

Angel

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:18 am
Does any1 know if I could buy powerade or gatorade in Israel?

mochamix18

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:51 am
Angel wrote:

I’ve seen it in some makolot

lone

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 8:43 am
Flip Flops wrote:
Start drinking now!!! It sounds stupid but I start drinking extra water about a week before. It makes such a huge difference. Amping up you water intake a day before just leaves you in the bathroom the whole fast.

No not stupid at all. If you start drinking a day before the fast your body views the extra water extra and flushed it all out. However, if you start drinking more water a week early than the body releases ADH hormone (anti dieretic hormone) which tells the body to re -absorb the water.

jfk92

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 8:49 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I second this!
I take before every fast.
The Toronto kollel has a pharmacist who specially makes slow release fasting pills. So you take them at night, they start working 12 h later and work for 12 hours. They are veggie capsules that you swallow and digest slowly. They come in ibuprofen (aka advil) acitomenaphin (tylenol) and my favorite, caffeine.
They have ppl who sell for them in many many communities and the profit goes to tzedaka for the kollel, run by Rav Miller.
They are a life changer.

Hi- where in bklyn can I find these?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:08 am
I once saw an ad for 24hr slow release Advil or Tylenol and also 24hr slow release caffeine
I take both
I know it’s probably very bad for my liver
But it’s only 2 x a year and I’m careful not to take Advil that often during the year

Game changer

This is from a person that had a heter to drink
Advil during the fast at the onset of a headache so it wouldn’t turn it a migraine
If I start vomiting I can do so for straight
I get put into the hospital for 3 days.
And then after I can barely eat for about another week.
I once lost 15lbs in 2 days because of all the constant vomiting.

Now I take it before the fast and I can sometimes get a slight headache about an hr before the fast is over

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:26 am
The Gatorade and suppositories and grapes etc are all great ideas! Let me pitch in and say, aside from the food aspect, distraction is the best way to pass the fast. Lay in bed and it will feel 48 hours long.

Reorganize the pantry, all your freezers and listen or watch Torah Anytime or whatever floats your boat, and the fast will be OVER before you know it.

May we be zocheh not to need any of these tips this year. (we could always use em for Yom Kippur, except for mine, ironically)

imasoftov

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:32 am
Angel wrote:

At branches of SuperPharm I've seen a refrigerator case with cold drinks, including those.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:58 am
I've used Vita-Pak that they sell in the groceries here special for a fast. Whenever I took them I fasted really well bh. they only sell them prior to a fast, usually at the checkout for $6.95.
I second drinking Gatorade, or grape juice dissolved half with water. It acts the same as powerade and the other electrolyte rich drinks.
Grapes and watermelon are supposed to be good as well.
One other thing, a very famous pediatrician in bp said, to eat kokosh cake before a fast for people that don't fast well. This is not said tongue in cheek, it was tried and true! YUM
May Tisha B'av turn into a Yom Tov this year and may we greet Moshiach bkarov!

Flip Flops

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:27 am
lone wrote:
No not stupid at all. If you start drinking a day before the fast your body views the extra water extra and flushed it all out. However, if you start drinking more water a week early than the body releases ADH hormone (anti dieretic hormone) which tells the body to re -absorb the water.

Good to hear! Now I have science to back me up!

hillary

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:29 am
Do the Tylenol and advil pills help specifically for migraines? Would they help for dehydration and vomiting?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:31 am
I eat brown rice pasta the day before the fast. It really helps.

I also drink a lot of water from 3 days before the fast.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note