Home

How to lose weight and keep it off.
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:32 pm
see last post
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 1:44 am
On January 5, 2009, I had an appointment at a sleep clinic. I was being assessed for sleep apnea, because I had out of control endometriosis and was seriously considering a hysterectomy. That night ended up being rather a nightmare of an experience, which was so bad that in the end, I wrote a letter of complaint to the clinic and there was a staff member fired because of it. You can imagine.

In response to my letter, I received two parts of a response. One was from the clinic manager, who looked into my allegations and ended up taking action on them, and the other was a call from the Doctor, who also apologized and mentioned that despite my horrible experience, they had gotten enough data to assess me. He asked if I could please come in, to discuss.

He understood my reticence, and told me so. I made an appointment, and nervously attended on the day.

Turns out the Doctor was a really nice man (and also happened to be Jewsih.) He went over my results (no sleep apnea but a little loss of oxygenation-complicated by the fact that I don’t sleep on my back and the clinician had insisted that I do so.) He then did something that not only will I never forget, but which iI will always appreciate.

He said to me, ‘You are clearly an energetic and active woman. I see how you jumped off the exam table and the spring in your step. But I am scared for you. You weigh over 300 pounds (maybe 308?) and you are 42 years old. You are not getting younger and what I fear, is that the amount of fat in your body will overtake your muscle (aka Sarcopenia) and then, you will be unable to get off the couch, and your life will just wash away into a sea of inability to move.’

It might not have been quite as poetic as what I just said, but it struck me hard. This was a man whose clinic had caused me hardship and this topic did not specifically relate to what he was assessing me for (because I didn’t actually have sleep apnea.) He went on to suggest a referral to a local Anxiety Clinic, to see if maybe they could help me with my eating. He told me it might not be a shoe-in because I wasn’t a typical case of anxiety, but if anything helped keep me from becoming glued to my couch and he could assist, he’d be happy to refer me.

Thus started my relationship with the Anxiety clinic. For 7 or so years, we worked together, trying to find various solutions for my insane eating. Nothing really particularly worked but I grew to appreciate my appointments with them and the opportunity it gave me to sort of go over my life before my appointments and take stock periodically.

When I was diagnosed with Retinopathy in 2017, it was just after my appointment with them before opening my seasonal restaurant in Niagara Falls, Once I had started with the restaurant, we had taken breaks over the summers, because it was just too hard to get back. I always knew that I had them to back me up in a crisis, but I also was not a typical patient of theirs and did not have anxiety that made me un-functional.

I did not see them again until after we shut down in September and when I walked in to see them, the reaction of the staff ( who were clearly startled but trying NOT to react - because sometimes reactions to weight loss have adverse effects on people) were pretty surprised. I acknowledged the change and told them what had happened. They were ‘cautiously optimistic.’

Three years later, I still have periodic appointments with the anxiety clinic, and once a year or so, I write the sleep Doctor a note to update him on how I am doing. Just a short missive, because if my experience can help him help someone else, then AMAZING. Ultimately, that is why I share my journey- because if I can help ONE other person to not suffer like I did, then it is worth it to me to tell my story. That Doctor is in a position where he can help others like me. Probably frequently.

I’d just like to add that in the past few months, the Anxiety Doc has made some comments about other patients of his ‘like me,’ meaning who follow low carb and have finally sound success in not only dealing with their weight but also in their Anxiety levels on low carb. It makes me so happy that some Doctors are listening and seeing what works for their patients. Please bear in mind that these are not the Doctors responsible for having solved my eating disorder problem, that was my Opthalmologist when he told me my best chance of healing my eyes, was to keep my blood sugar stable. Which in turn led me to a blog entry about a Type 1 diabetic who had, through recording his own blood sugar reactions, found that low carb eating allowed for the most stability. Anyways, these guys had no direct bearing on solving my problem but they are Doctors who listen and who aren’t afraid to say to a patient, ‘let me try to help you better.’

I am not even totally sure what my point is here. I guess just gratitude.

3 years ( May 11/17 was retinopathy dx)
100+ pounds lost
normal A1C
normal blood pressure
most back pain resolved
plantar fasciitis resolved
most body pain resolved
tongue ulcers resolved
6 months o f exercise 4-6 days a week for 30-60 minutes (hard cardio mostly)
I can get up off the floor
I can easily handle my own hygiene now (that was horrible, when I had to make SO much effort at hygiene, because reaching places was HARD)
No more frozen shoulders or other joints

Just. So. Grateful.
Back to top

CiCi




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 1:56 am
Wow, that is inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

Can you share what you eat for breakfast if you don't eat grains?


Last edited by CiCi on Wed, May 13 2020, 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 1:57 am
https://I.imgur.com/BHQA9cZ.jpg

https://I.imgur.com/9frI5Yn.jpg
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 2:14 am
CiCi wrote:
Wow, that is inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

Can you share what you eat for breakfast if you don't eat grains?


I’m not much of a morning person. I’ve never really eaten breakfast, and since I intermittently fast, it’s pretty rare to have a morning meal. I do start the day with a big mug of coffee with some heavy cream. Today my first meal which was at 3:30 pm was some salmon, home made mayo and a relish made of tomato, pickle, shallot and pickled jalapeños.. later I had three scrambled eggs, some butter and some migdal tower cheese slices. It could have just as easily been a burger I ate first though. Or steak or chicken or roast.
Back to top

CiCi




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 2:26 am
andrea levy wrote:
I’m not much of a morning person. I’ve never really eaten breakfast, and since I intermittently fast, it’s pretty rare to have a morning meal. I do start the day with a big mug of coffee with some heavy cream. Today my first meal which was at 3:30 pm was some salmon, home made mayo and a relish made of tomato, pickle, shallot and pickled jalapeños.. later I had three scrambled eggs, some butter and some migdal tower cheese slices. It could have just as easily been a burger I ate first though. Or steak or chicken or roast.


Thank for your reply. I'm starting my diet today and was thinking of getting off grains but I l feel nauscous eating eggs or cheese without (whole wheat) bread. You gave me the push to drink a soy milk (I'm off cow milk) with sugar free choc mix shake instead of eating two whole wheat breads and grilled cheese. I want to try eliminating starches and processed sugar from my diet, but I'm not giving up eating fruit Wink
Back to top

Ora in town




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 8:23 am
It's hard.
Most people who lose weight gain it back within 2 years.
So first conclusion: don't be too ambitious, it might be better just to lose 1 or 2 kg from the start, rather than losing 20 kg and regaining 18...
In general, losing under 10% or even under 5% of body weight are enough to attein positive effects.

Studies about people who lost weight and kept it off said:
- They eat a bit under 1500 cal per day, on average
- They eat 4-5 meals per day, on average (so no intermittendt fasting, etc.)
- They exercice for 2500 cal a week (that's about 5h a week)
- They monitor their weight closely

Also, studies have shown that exercice is more relevant to health than just Body-mass index. I.e. a slightly overweight person who is in good physicall shape might be healthier than a normal weight person who never exercices.

so I think you should start with exercice, and not so much with the ambition to lose weight.

To introduce physical acitivty:
- go by foot or bike rather than take car. Get off bus one or two stops early and walk a bit.
- go up stairs rather than take elevator
- Try to do 7000 steps a day, 10'000 is even better
- try to do aerobic exercise, like swimming, aquafit, biking, nordic walking, jogging (if your BMI is under 28), pilates, aerobics, etc. 3-4 times per week...

As far as diet is concerned
0) if hunger is not the problem, eating is not the solution
1) Eat as many veggies as you want (veggies have 12-30 cal per 100g)
2) Don't drink calories, eat them (eat fruit rather than drink fruit juice,avoid sugary drinks. Milk is OK)
3) It takes 20 min until you feel satisfied: start with a soup or salad befor your main course, take your time
4) Eat two hot meals a day. Take time to eat...
5) half of your plate should be veggies, the other half can be either protein or carbs or both...
6) Those foods are very satisfying with low calorie count: white fish (100cal per 100g), chicken/turkey breast (100cal per 100g) boiled potatoes (70 cal per 100g)
7) Try to eat carbs with a low glycemic index: full grain flour rather than white flour, veggies, legumes, stale or toasted bread rather than fresh bread, not overcooked)
8) If you need to snack, take raw veggies, raw fruit or hot beverages (without sugar)
9) Allow yourself 50-100cal of sweets per day (e.g. 2-4 squares of chocolate), take your time to enjoy it...
10) If you crave sweets, try and eat fresh fruit instead or a completely different taste (garlick, hot chili, etc.)


Last edited by Ora in town on Wed, May 13 2020, 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

Ora in town




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 8:35 am
CiCi wrote:
Thank for your reply. I'm starting my diet today and was thinking of getting off grains but I l feel nauscous eating eggs or cheese without (whole wheat) bread. You gave me the push to drink a soy milk (I'm off cow milk) with sugar free choc mix shake instead of eating two whole wheat breads and grilled cheese. I want to try eliminating starches and processed sugar from my diet, but I'm not giving up eating fruit Wink


Shakes are not a good idea. It's better to invest in food preparation and eat a lot of raw veggies, salads, and 2 hot meals per day. meals should start with a soup or salad (because it takes 20 min. to feel statisfied) and the main course should be 1/2 plate veggies, the other half either protein and carbs or protein or carbs.

It might be good to reduce carbs, but not too much. It might be more important to eat carbs with a low glycemic index (veggies, whole grain, legumes) rather than carbs with a high glycemic index (white flour, sugar, chips, etc.)
Back to top

amother




Magenta
 

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 8:53 am
I didn't read the whole thread, but hyperemesis is a good way to lose weight and keep it off.

After the birth you have some time when you can eat normally (usually) but as long as you are careful not to overeat, you will still weigh less than your starting weight by the time your next pregnancy comes around.

Tried and true.
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 9:28 am
CiCi wrote:
Thank for your reply. I'm starting my diet today and was thinking of getting off grains but I l feel nauscous eating eggs or cheese without (whole wheat) bread. You gave me the push to drink a soy milk (I'm off cow milk) with sugar free choc mix shake instead of eating two whole wheat breads and grilled cheese. I want to try eliminating starches and processed sugar from my diet, but I'm not giving up eating fruit Wink


I gave you the push to drink soy? That’s funny because I don’t eat or drink soy ( except occasional amounts of soy sauce in a recipe.)

My experience, and it seems pretty much every doctor regardless of their perspective on what you should eat, agrees that what you should not eat is processed food. ThAt includes soy milk. Eat almonds. Don’t eat Shake powder, eat real food. Eat fruit, but a) it’s not ‘free’ and b) focus on berries not tropical. Also, eating fruit in a shake just makes it sugar. Even weight watchers agrees on that.

Suggestion. Don’t say you’re going to try. Say you’re going to do. And then do. And if you can’t do what you decided, then keep trying but stop doing what didn’t work and fix it. What I do today is not what I started doing. I changed what didn’t work. I keep changing things as I go. Each day my body changes things are changing. And I dive mean losing weight. Perimenopausal life is a challenge but not only am I not gaining, I’m still losing over time.
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 9:39 am
Ora in town wrote:
It's hard.
Most people who lose weight gain it back within 2 years.
So first conclusion: don't be too ambitious, it might be better just to lose 1 or 2 kg from the start, rather than losing 20 kg and regaining 18...
In general, losing under 10% or even under 5% of body weight are enough to attein positive effects.

Studies about people who lost weight and kept it off said:
- They eat a bit under 1500 cal per day, on average
- They eat 4-5 meals per day, on average (so no intermittendt fasting, etc.)
- They exercice for 2500 cal a week (that's about 5h a week)
- They monitor their weight closely

Also, studies have shown that exercice is more relevant to health than just Body-mass index. I.e. a slightly overweight person who is in good physicall shape might be healthier than a normal weight person who never exercices.

so I think you should start with exercice, and not so much with the ambition to lose weight.

To introduce physical acitivty:
- go by foot or bike rather than take car. Get off bus one or two stops early and walk a bit.
- go up stairs rather than take elevator
- Try to do 7000 steps a day, 10'000 is even better
- try to do aerobic exercise, like swimming, aquafit, biking, nordic walking, jogging (if your BMI is under 28), pilates, aerobics, etc. 3-4 times per week...

As far as diet is concerned
0) if hunger is not the problem, eating is not the solution
1) Eat as many veggies as you want (veggies have 12-30 cal per 100g)
2) Don't drink calories, eat them (eat fruit rather than drink fruit juice,avoid sugary drinks. Milk is OK)
3) It takes 20 min until you feel satisfied: start with a soup or salad befor your main course, take your time
4) Eat two hot meals a day. Take time to eat...
5) half of your plate should be veggies, the other half can be either protein or carbs or both...
6) Those foods are very satisfying with low calorie count: white fish (100cal per 100g), chicken/turkey breast (100cal per 100g) boiled potatoes (70 cal per 100g)
7) Try to eat carbs with a low glycemic index: full grain flour rather than white flour, veggies, legumes, stale or toasted bread rather than fresh bread, not overcooked)
8) If you need to snack, take raw veggies, raw fruit or hot beverages (without sugar)
9) Allow yourself 50-100cal of sweets per day (e.g. 2-4 squares of chocolate), take your time to enjoy it...
10) If you crave sweets, try and eat fresh fruit instead or a completely different taste (garlick, hot chili, etc.)


I don’t agree with everything in here BUT, speaking as someone who exercises st Least five hours a week- weight loss is made in the kitchen. The gym makes you healthy, gives you endurance and helps your cardiovascular system but you can easily out eat your exercise.

I am mostly carnivore. I don’t eat unlimited anything. I eat slowly. I eat what I eat and wait until I know if I need more. I eat fat, protein, and some veg. I don’t eat starch, grain, sugar, sweetener or fruit. I don’t eat processed food. Literally everything we buy is an ingredient.

Did I mention that my entire family, do what I do to varying degree ( husband, me and son most similar- but they eat berries on occasion which I don’t.)

Daughter occasionally eats junk but her baseline is this. Son on autistic spectrum ( was almost 400 lbs) is also maintaining a large loss. Husband maintaining 60 pound loss. My mom 74 about 60 pounds. My father about 10 pounds he could not get rid of for years.
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, May 13 2020, 1:28 pm
Breakfast today was Atlantic salmon, w
mixed chunky salad and home made avocado oil mayo with home made garlic hot sauce.
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Recent Topics

Page 6 of 6 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Weight loss surgery after intuitive eating
by amother
16 Thu, Jun 04 2020, 11:00 pm View last post
I’ve gained so much weight help!!
by amother
29 Thu, Jun 04 2020, 12:32 am View last post
Keep A Word Drop A Word 184 Mon, Jun 01 2020, 10:14 pm View last post
Kishke recipe by weight
by amother
6 Mon, Jun 01 2020, 4:32 pm View last post
ISO 14k YG Dangle Earrings, where they tell me gram weight
by amother
1 Sun, May 31 2020, 1:36 am View last post

Jump to: