Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How to lose weight and keep it off.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:24 pm
penguin wrote:
Andrea, can you please list all the low-carb vegetables you eat?
I am making myself crazy experimenting with which vegetables won't raise my blood sugar too much (and I know it's probably pretty individual) but maybe you can give me some new ideas.

I'm getting a little bored of lettuce, zucchini and string beans.

Sorry, I missed this response.

I don’t eat starchy and carby veg. Pretty much everything else is fair game as long as I don’t find it bothers me. I don’t eat a huge amount of veg either, so I’m not worried it I eat carrot or tomato in small amounts.

Easier to say what I Don’t eat than what I do amount wise:

I don’t eat potatoes, beets, sweet potatoes,corn, or too much squash that isn’t zucchini. We just bought some canned pumpkin to make a savoury pumpkin bread with but I won’t eat too much of it that since I find baked things aren’t the greatest for me even if low carb. But for example I would eat a pumpkin pie type filling if it had no other ingredients that I would not eat in moderation. The last time I had butternut squash purée it just felt like dessert a bit too much. Even with no sugar.

I would eat moderate amounts Of higher carb veg like carrots, jicama or I guess even celery root Or rutabaga if I liked them. Like my Mud and just made a ‘poke’ bowl’ out of brisket chopped up with snow peas, bean sprouts, bok Choi, carrot, cabbage, garlic, ginger, five spice, sesame oil, green onions, braggs soy sauce.

We regularly make roasted tomato salad with pine nuts ( which is more of a condiment) and babaganouch with blackened eggplant and tehina. We like olive tapenade. I dont generally eat a tonne of vegetables overall, mostly on Shabbat or Shabbat leftovers. I Like veg more than I used to, but I don’t eat massive amounts of vegetables personally.

I’m sure some people would find what I do boring. These days, while I still delight in expertly prepared food ( mainly cooked by husband and son, since I’m busy with school) I am also just as happy to eat scrambled eggs. Food is fuel, not so much entertainment anymore.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 2:58 pm
Has anyone tried yacon? I just got the chips from Double Joy Select, because they claim they are lower glycemic index, though the label says 23 gms of carbs. Evidently truy bec I just checked & my sugar is 113!!!!

I just bought Japanese (white) yams, have to try them tomorrow & see if I can eat more than 1/2 a cup. I tried kabocha squash, & I think I did not do great with it. But my nutritionist says don't give up, try something twice, maybe a little less, maybe with a bit more oil,

I am trying to move away from food as soothing (or boredom relieving) rather than entertainment. But I do need a bit of variety.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:01 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Has anyone tried yacon? I just got the chips from Double Joy Select, because they claim they are lower glycemic index, though the label says 23 gms of carbs. Evidently truy bec I just checked & my sugar is 113!!!!

I just bought Japanese (white) yams, have to try them tomorrow & see if I can eat more than 1/2 a cup. I tried kabocha squash, & I think I did not do great with it. But my nutritionist says don't give up, try something twice, maybe a little less, maybe with a bit more oil,

I am trying to move away from food as soothing (or boredom relieving) rather than entertainment. But I do need a bit of variety.

For me, the thirty or so vegetables I might have mentioned are more than enough. What range are you trying to keto your blood sugar in? Just curious. I don’t know American numbers...

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:02 pm
Also chips are a processed food that is often made wth bad oils. If you have the same amount of the cooked veg as the raw, you might have different response.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:24 pm
These chips have no oil!

I am aiming for under 140 two hours after a meal, but preferably lower.

If olives & avocodoes are fruits, are they only keto and low glycemic friendly because of the fat? Are there any fruits that are good in moderation?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 3:35 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
These chips have no oil!

I am aiming for under 140 two hours after a meal, but preferably lower.

If olives & avocodoes are fruits, are they only keto and low glycemic friendly because of the fat? Are there any fruits that are good in moderation?

When you dehydrate or roast any vegetable there will be more carbs by volume in them than when they are fresh and have higher water content. So if they were higher in carbs to begin with, they are even higher after dehydrating or roasting. Like cooked tomatoes are higher in sugar if measured the same way than fresh.

I don’t do ‘keto’ exactly. I’m not sure what you’re asking. What did your nutrition advisor suggest to you? If you are straight trying to keep your blood sugar low, stop eating starchy carbs. Grains, sugars, sweeteners and even fruit.

Avocado and olives are low in carbohydrates and high in fat. Cucumber is technically a fruit. Small amounts of berries are low in carbs. I don’t eat berries regularly because of the sugars.

Fats do not raise your blood sugar or create the same volume of insulin response as carbs. Being low fat is not a metric for low carb/keto because generally, if a processed food is lower in fat it will be higher in carbs.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 6:34 pm
I had to dress up for a school project today and I took pictures. The last time I’d worn the outfit was March, before lockdown. There’s only about five pounds difference between the two pictures but it’s kind of crazy how different I look, even wearing the same thing.

I know that for someone who still needs to lose significant weight, it might be a bit appalling that it took me so long to lose five pounds but, the thing is, I’d be pretty ok with staying this weight if I could not lose more ( after abusing myself for 45 years, there HAS to be damage.)

I weighed 211 in the first pic. I have bounced around from there up to 216 and down to 202 (for a hot minute) but that’s the way weight loss works for me. There’s an overall downward trajectory and I’m still maintaining my massive weight loss so far. No covid 40 for me. I mean in this period of time it’s almost like I didn’t lose at all, but when I don’t gain, and I maintain( I don’t mean normal fluctuations), that’s WINNING!

Also, I’ve never been so fit in my life. I feel great all of the time. The scale is ONE tool in my tool box of many. This is proof of that.
https://I.imgur.com/3RzCfgo.jpg

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 7:00 pm
You look fabulous!!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 13 2020, 7:53 pm
Thank you!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 5:09 am
Hey folks. Long post, so if you don’t want to read long, stop now.

The end is in sight. Last September, I started a post graduate certificate in Nutrition for Sports Performance at Niagara College. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but NOT this.

It’s been incredibly difficult. I should have a masters degree after how hard this was. I admit, I never dreamed it would be this difficult. So much work. On top of my full time work. My last assignments are a food video and a paper that’s meant to be submitted to a peer reviewed journal. It’s not that long, but darn is it hard.

My subject is maintaining weightloss. If you don’t know me, brief summary:

May 2017- 315 pounds, five one, 49 years old diagnosed w/ diabetic retinopathy.

Over the past four years I’ve lost and maintained between a 105-110 pound weight loss. I’m still overweight, very strict with my food boundaries. I don’t Cheat, ever.

It’s been hard to try and get good with continuing to be morbidly obese, because by now, I “should’ have lost the rest, for how ‘good’ I am. On a gut level I understand that getting and staying this far is a miracle. I’ve researched how I might lose more, but the end result is that I’m just not willing to cut calories to the extent I’d need to, to weigh less. Or have surgery. PLUS, I’m not willing to fast extensively ( I’m a pretty comfortable OMAD OR 20/4 most days,) or cut too much more in the way of what I don’t eat. Which is already a lot.

This paper has sort of solidified something for me. Weight regain is not inevitable but it is likely, especially if you’ve done a lot of damage to your body over the years as I have. DONT STOP READING NOW!

Our bodies are such crazily intricate systems. When we lose weight, our hormones are crazily strong in ways that we think are US messing up. Ghrelin, insulin, orexigenic hormones, all mess with us, because our bodies are defending the higher weights they were at. This is literally how we survived as a species.

I’ve had massive healing in my body. It’s not all the way there yet but I’m happy and my body feels good. I’m not diabetic anymore my cardiologist dismissed me. I’m happy and healthy and grateful that after abusing my body for the first almost fifty years of my life, the last four have been full of grace and gratitude.

The past six or so months have caused me to struggle. I’ve been working so hard and at some point, I started eating more volume wise. My weight started to seem like it was in inevitable regain. I just kept working on it and trying. Learning. Applying. All within the same ten pounds or so.

And you know what? The evidence does not really exist to say that we will permanently lose weight. NOT that I think we won’t. I remember thinking it must be my low carb life until I heard dr. Jeffrey Gerber taking about plateau and regain being almost inevitable unless we can somehow keep our bodies guessing. Fasting. Varying caloric intake and energy flux. It’s all a part of it. The man knows what he’s doing and he’s on our side, and he admits that no one in research really understands.

I havent really understood why I’m maintaining until now. I’ve read probably fifty papers for my article and there are serious themes emerging.

There are maintainers and regainers. regardless of macronutrients, somehow, the maintainers make things work for themselves. We impose behavioural checks and balances. We exhibit adaptive learning. We figure out when our bodies are trying to kill us and when we are legitimately hungry. We have a certain amount of flexible rigidity which we utilize to keep ourselves in check. Not that that works 100% of the time, but we learn.

Behaviour seems to be the biggest common denominator and leads to changes in thinking, self concept and ability to deal with life without drugging ourselves with food.

My paper started out about sustainability but I’m actually thinking of changing the perspective. Yes, it’s possible to lose and maintain. We know that. But it’s actually a lot harder to do that than to stay stable, physiologically and psychologically. In a weird turn of events ( because I’m maintaining a large weightloss and know it’s possible) my argument is that if a person is unable to work out how to make their food work for them, they should focus on eating well as defined by eating real food that is high in nutrition density. They should not try to lose weight but focus on health as they define it.

They should be active because, hey, exercise is a terrible way to lose weight but it’s also great for your body- in reasonable amounts. While there are soMe serious exercise responders, for many of us, too much exercise can absolutely cause adaptations in body chemistry that make us hungry and make it harder to control our appetites and our body’s responses to food and activity. dr. Fung talks about this as working up an appetite not being untrue.

Some day, maybe we will have clear evidence that low carb is more successful than not. Or, we won’t. I don’t think it matters ultimately as long as people learn to do what works for them. as defined by their health goals.

I do think calories matter but are not the only thing that matters. I think that I’m successful (even continuing to be morbidly obese) because Ive changed my thinking and behaviours, am consistent and have hard boundaries about what I will and won’t do. I do believe that I eat too much for MY body to lose weight easily. I’m not willing to destabilize myself when my life is so good. If it ever happens, it’ll happen but in the mean-time, I’m a kind of a unicorn in the weightloss world. I’ve definitely maintained a weight loss of more than ten percent for longer than a year. In fact it’s over three years. I’m not cocky about it either.

This past six months taught me that I am not immune to my body trying to defend a higher weight. That I’m probably very lucky that the tensions between my old life and my new life are mostly not a big deal anymore. That I took my retinopathy dx do seriously when it happened. That in the past year I’ve weighed more and less. Without that much effort. Today my weight was the same as when lockdown started over a year ago. That is seriously a miracle.

I have so much rolling around in my head. If you read this far, thank you. I think once the paper is complete I might be more coherent. Just know that the research we do have about maintaining weight loss does indicate that it’s rarely easy ( although if you’re lucky enough to recognize it, it’s easier than life before) and does indicate that it’s a result of ongoing work on one’s self with the intent to maintain.That we should keep trying, because that’s what gets us there. That we can never allow catastrophic thinking to dominate us. That we must manage the outside influences and not let them manage us.

This might be as long as my paper needs to be. But sorry, you’ll have to wait for the references til the paper is done. You’re welcome to ask me if I was unclear about anything.

lamplighter

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 9:10 am
andrea levy wrote:

The end is in sight. Last September, I started a post graduate certificate in Nutrition for Sports Performance at Niagara College. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but NOT this.

It’s been incredibly difficult. I should have a masters degree after how hard this was. I admit, I never dreamed it would be this difficult. So much work. On top of my full time work. My last assignments are a food video and a paper that’s meant to be submitted to a peer reviewed journal. It’s not that long, but darn is it hard.

Over the past four years I’ve lost and maintained between a 105-110 pound weight loss. I’m still overweight, very strict with my food boundaries. I don’t Cheat, ever.

It’s been hard to try and get good with continuing to be morbidly obese, because by now, I “should’ have lost the rest, for how ‘good’ I am. On a gut level I understand that getting and staying this far is a miracle. I’ve researched how I might lose more, but the end result is that I’m just not willing to cut calories to the extent I’d need to, to weigh less. Or have surgery. PLUS, I’m not willing to fast extensively ( I’m a pretty comfortable OMAD OR 20/4 most days,) or cut too much more in the way of what I don’t eat. Which is already a lot.

This paper has sort of solidified something for me. Weight regain is not inevitable but it is likely, especially if you’ve done a lot of damage to your body over the years as I have. DONT STOP READING NOW!

Our bodies are such crazily intricate systems. When we lose weight, our hormones are crazily strong in ways that we think are US messing up. Ghrelin, insulin, orexigenic hormones, all mess with us, because our bodies are defending the higher weights they were at. This is literally how we survived as a species.

I’ve had massive healing in my body. It’s not all the way there yet but I’m happy and my body feels good. I’m not diabetic anymore my cardiologist dismissed me. I’m happy and healthy and grateful that after abusing my body for the first almost fifty years of my life, the last four have been full of grace and gratitude.

The past six or so months have caused me to struggle. I’ve been working so hard and at some point, I started eating more volume wise. My weight started to seem like it was in inevitable regain. I just kept working on it and trying. Learning. Applying. All within the same ten pounds or so.

And you know what? The evidence does not really exist to say that we will permanently lose weight. NOT that I think we won’t. I remember thinking it must be my low carb life until I heard dr. Jeffrey Gerber taking about plateau and regain being almost inevitable unless we can somehow keep our bodies guessing. Fasting. Varying caloric intake and energy flux. It’s all a part of it. The man knows what he’s doing and he’s on our side, and he admits that no one in research really understands.

I havent really understood why I’m maintaining until now. I’ve read probably fifty papers for my article and there are serious themes emerging.

There are maintainers and regainers. regardless of macronutrients, somehow, the maintainers make things work for themselves. We impose behavioural checks and balances. We exhibit adaptive learning. We figure out when our bodies are trying to kill us and when we are legitimately hungry. We have a certain amount of flexible rigidity which we utilize to keep ourselves in check. Not that that works 100% of the time, but we learn.

Behaviour seems to be the biggest common denominator and leads to changes in thinking, self concept and ability to deal with life without drugging ourselves with food.

My paper started out about sustainability but I’m actually thinking of changing the perspective. Yes, it’s possible to lose and maintain. We know that. But it’s actually a lot harder to do that than to stay stable, physiologically and psychologically. In a weird turn of events ( because I’m maintaining a large weightloss and know it’s possible) my argument is that if a person is unable to work out how to make their food work for them, they should focus on eating well as defined by eating real food that is high in nutrition density. They should not try to lose weight but focus on health as they define it.

They should be active because, hey, exercise is a terrible way to lose weight but it’s also great for your body- in reasonable amounts. While there are soMe serious exercise responders, for many of us, too much exercise can absolutely cause adaptations in body chemistry that make us hungry and make it harder to control our appetites and our body’s responses to food and activity. dr. Fung talks about this as working up an appetite not being untrue.

Some day, maybe we will have clear evidence that low carb is more successful than not. Or, we won’t. I don’t think it matters ultimately as long as people learn to do what works for them. as defined by their health goals.

I do think calories matter but are not the only thing that matters. I think that I’m successful (even continuing to be morbidly obese) because Ive changed my thinking and behaviours, am consistent and have hard boundaries about what I will and won’t do. I do believe that I eat too much for MY body to lose weight easily. I’m not willing to destabilize myself when my life is so good. If it ever happens, it’ll happen but in the mean-time, I’m a kind of a unicorn in the weightloss world. I’ve definitely maintained a weight loss of more than ten percent for longer than a year. In fact it’s over three years. I’m not cocky about it either.

This past six months taught me that I am not immune to my body trying to defend a higher weight. That I’m probably very lucky that the tensions between my old life and my new life are mostly not a big deal anymore. That I took my retinopathy dx do seriously when it happened. That in the past year I’ve weighed more and less. Without that much effort. Today my weight was the same as when lockdown started over a year ago. That is seriously a miracle.

I have so much rolling around in my head. If you read this far, thank you. I think once the paper is complete I might be more coherent. Just know that the research we do have about maintaining weight loss does indicate that it’s rarely easy ( although if you’re lucky enough to recognize it, it’s easier than life before) and does indicate that it’s a result of ongoing work on one’s self with the intent to maintain.That we should keep trying, because that’s what gets us there. That we can never allow catastrophic thinking to dominate us. That we must manage the outside influences and not let them manage us.

This might be as long as my paper needs to be. But sorry, you’ll have to wait for the references til the paper is done. You’re welcome to ask me if I was unclear about anything.

Thank you for this. Your honesty is so inspiring.

I am a regainer and I often wonder what would happen if I never tried to lose weight the first time around years ago. How would my body be healthwise and also what levels of "sacrifice" do I need to endure to lose my weight again and will it ever ever be maintained. Or will I always feel like I'm going up a down escalator. Everyone tells me the magic is keto and OMAD. I think there is no magic.

mp5

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 10:49 am
andrea levy wrote:

Thank you for sharing. You write so well, and I truly appreciate your sharing your insights from your ongoing journey, which are helpful and inspiring. I admire your determination and above all, love your positive attitude! May you enjoy good health and acheive all of your goals לטובה.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 11:11 am
Andrea, you are a role model! You are so generous with your assistance and advice for others! I'm so impressed that you are also in school, wow!!! May you be super successful in helping others!

I'm wondering if you can give me some advice.
I weigh about 230, 5'2. I consider myself insulin resistant though my medical tests do not show that.
I did have gestational diabetes a few times.

I've always been on a standard balanced carb and protein diet but haven't lost too much. I just started a higher carb diet than I ever have been on. Basically 13 carbs a day, and the equivalent of 11 eggs per day in protein. I started to lose weight, am full and it seems great.

My question is, is there any side effects to a diet like this, if I am losing weight, which is healthier for my body.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:57 am
lamplighter wrote:

I am a regainer and I often wonder what would happen if I never tried to lose weight the first time around years ago. How would my body be healthwise and also what levels of "sacrifice" do I need to endure to lose my weight again and will it ever ever be maintained. Or will I always feel like I'm going up a down escalator. Everyone tells me the magic is keto and OMAD. I think there is no magic.

Here’s what I think:

There is no magic but contrary to popular opinion, it is possible to do it.
For me, the surprise that carbs were ( in my body) compelling me to eat was a revelation and honestly, eating like this became the path of least resistance for me so it became easy to choose it.

Over time, because of my hard boundaries, I’ve developed new habits and the ability to commit to new boundaries when I need to. Viewing this as an ongoing process instead of a diet is crucial.

Fasting is helpful for many people but most people feel they need to work up to it. Also it’s useful to learn about it by reading g Jason Fung’s books. I’d actually start with the obesity code and the diabetes code because he explains the science in a delightful way.

My mantra over and over again is ‘get stable and tweak’ when taking to people who are starting out. In my case it is stay stable and tweak.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:58 am
mp5 wrote:
Thank you for sharing. You write so well, and I truly appreciate your sharing your insights from your ongoing journey, which are helpful and inspiring. I admire your determination and above all, love your positive attitude! May you enjoy good health and acheive all of your goals לטובה.

Thank you so much! I feel very blessed!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 8:27 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Andrea, you are a role model! You are so generous with your assistance and advice for others! I'm so impressed that you are also in school, wow!!! May you be super successful in helping others!

I'm wondering if you can give me some advice.
I weigh about 230, 5'2. I consider myself insulin resistant though my medical tests do not show that.
I did have gestational diabetes a few times.

I've always been on a standard balanced carb and protein diet but haven't lost too much. I just started a higher carb diet than I ever have been on. Basically 13 carbs a day, and the equivalent of 11 eggs per day in protein. I started to lose weight, am full and it seems great.

My question is, is there any side effects to a diet like this, if I am losing weight, which is healthier for my body.

Thanks so much for your response. My willingness to share is in part to stay visibly accountable and in part because I really don’t want others to suffer more than they have to. I wish I’d known earlier in my four years of eating disorder, what I’ve learned over the past four years.

I think you’re smart to consider yourself insulin resistant especially if you’ve had GD which is a marker for future type 2 diabetes, which is, literally, insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance shows up in blood tests over TIME. You can’t look at blood sugar. You can’t look at one test. If we started getting insulin testing for our children, we could chart the increases and actually see the rise of insulin resistance over the years in increasing insulin levels. By the time sugar shows up in your blood it’s a done deal.

I’m not aware of any negative side effects other than the ‘keto flu’ which happens when you get dehydrated because you don’t retain water and stop eating processed foods that contain sodium. Contrary to popular belief, sodium is not bad for you, it’s essential to our well-being. If you were to feel those headachy gluey feelings, I’d say take pickle juice a half cup at a time or 1/4 tsp of salt at a time with a glass of water and stop when the symptoms resolve. The worst case scenario of too much salt is your body will dump it in your poop, which would be runny but not painful.

Ketosis is not a pathological state. It’s a valid alternative to fuelling our bodies. It should not be confused with keto acidosis which happens to type 1 diabetics with high blood glucose and not enough insulin.

My general feeling on all of this is that if you can find a sustainable way to manage your weight and heslth, you’re better off, period.

There was an interesting study out of Stanford university a while back that they’re still writing up. It compared healthy low carb and healthy low fat ( defined as real food, not processed) eating to satiety and statistically there wasn’t a clinical difference in weightloss over a year. BUT they made it clear that if you don’t enjoy what you do, or if you react badly to it, it won’t work. So, for example, low fat, even with healthy carbs makes me eat like a maniac and isn’t sustainable for me. Low carb allowed me to achieve stability from insane eating. My weightloss was not the goal although I am thrilled that it happened. Maintaining any weightloss ( which I had no idea how to do but developed the ability to do over time,) was a goal and keeping My blood sugar low and stable was a goal.

I’ll post something else I wrote this morning. I probably should be doing my paper but I think this is helping me to crystallize some of my thought. One thing I’m going to address in my paper is the alternative for the hopeless, to not have weightloss as a goal but to get metabolically healthy regardless of weight and avoid weight gain, after weightloss or before. More research is definitely needed.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 8:30 am
lamplighter wrote:

Also, wondering what might have happened is kind of pointless for us at this point but it is worthwhile to help our children avoid the same problems by eating real food at home all the time.

I’ll just add that while I know I have damage from my 45 years of disordered eating, I’m still here and my Goals are realistic and sane. I might never get ‘skinny’ but I’m happy and THATS Very important to me!

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:05 am
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with all that information! It is way over my head Smile

In summary-

is it bad for me to be on a higher carb diet, if I am essentially losing weight? I would think that the most important for me is to lose weight and that should make me healthier, correct?

Or is it not good for my body at all regardless?

I do feel full the way I am eating, and do not feel the need to binge, bH.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 9:37 am
Night eating Syndrome ( and a few other things.)

After learning all that I am learning for my paper, I realized that I have many of the attributes of a maintainer but that the one thing that really jumped out at me was that maintaining means being VERY on top of things.

I’ve known for a while that my caloric intake might be too high, and also, that when I stay up too late, my eating is affected. After learning about Circadian Rhythms this year, I realized that the night eating ( which was very bad when I adjusted my hours earlier in the year) might have been causing night eating Syndrome.

To be clear, this was usually my second meal of the day but it took place late at night and while I ate foods that were acceptable, I didn’t really plan or pay so much attention. I felt like I was in binge mode.

I recently (a week ago) made a strong decision that I would not stay up and watch Netflix after work/school. THAT was hard because I need time to wind down and it’s normally late. That happened after a night eating episode where I actually recorded my food and realized that I was ingesting a large amount ( even though it was all plan acceptable.)

I’m persistent lately about staying out of the family room at night and I’ve noticed that my sleep numbers are increasing and my weight is decreasing. I’m still not back to my lowest weight ( a few pounds) but I feel like I’m on top of it again and like it’s going to be fine. ( understand from these comments that the weight did not get too crazy because obviously I could resolve it in a week, the key was getting to it before it got me.)

I’ve said before that I have a problem with almond butter ( I can eat it if it’s an ingredient but not alone) and I suspect it would be best if I avoided nuts. Nuts give me heartburn regularly plus they are WAY too easy to overeat.

I’ve known for three plus years that this was the case and I have been hesitant to put them on my ‘no go’ list because that list is so big. And I’m stopping short of that here because my no go list IS big. But I’m consciously going to avoid eating nuts after or in between meals. I won’t avoid a salad with nuts in it or a recipe, but I think eating them alone is a mistake for me.

Almond butter is on my no go list though. I just can’t eat it normally.

One of the things that really struck me about the research I’ve been doing is how maintainers manage the tension between what their body is doing and their goals. It’s hard and no one can TELL you how you should do it, but where it comes to night eating, for example, avoiding the circumstances in which I am compelled to do that (managing my exposure to the trigger) is better than being exposed to the trigger and then having to fight it.

If you’re ever lucky enough to go to a social event that’s catered or going out socially with friends or even being invited to eat at someone’s house, for example (yay Ontario lockdown!) then doing things to limit your exposure is critical.

In the past, I’ve done just this. Along with knowing what I will and will not eat and having hard boundaries about that, in ketosis, my cravings are managed. If I have an event,( this would be in a kosher supervised place for me) I ask the host what is being served. Depending on the answer, I might eat before or ask for a special plate. Sometimes I decide to just fast through it, eating appropriately before.

If I’m invited out to a HOME, I speak with the host and explain what my needs are and that their company and the invitation are more important than being cooked for. If I have any inkling that the host is troubled by my request, I tell them I’ll bring food and not to worry. I’d always imagined that this would be a hard thing to do, but it’s not, when I want to be HAPPY so much more.

I’m getting a little off track here but the upshot is that taking myself out of harms way, in my case by always being strict with what types of food I eat, fasting ( non dogmatically,) and finding ways to control my environment ( just like vinnie says to clear out your kitchen of problem foods) saves me every time.

This way of eating is sustainable and problems may crop up from time to time but if you have the ability to keep trying and especially avoiding catastrophic thinking when you make a mistake, staying on track is possible.

I’m still not sure I’ll ever be willing to eat at a level that allows me to lose the rest but the knowledge that I can maintain my weight loss and sanity is everything to me.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:12 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with all that information! It is way over my head Smile

In summary-

is it bad for me to be on a higher carb diet, if I am essentially losing weight? I would think that the most important for me is to lose weight and that should make me healthier, correct?

Or is it not good for my body at all regardless?

I do feel full the way I am eating, and do not feel the need to binge, bH.

If it works and feels good for you then you should do what works. That said if you’re worried about insulin resistance then you should be mindful of the fact that carbs are the macronutrients most likely to cause it, even in whole food form .

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Wed, May 05 2021, 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Page 8 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise