Home

How to lose weight and keep it off.
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

andrea levy

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 5:24 pm
penguin wrote:
Andrea, can you please list all the low-carb vegetables you eat?
I am making myself crazy experimenting with which vegetables won't raise my blood sugar too much (and I know it's probably pretty individual) but maybe you can give me some new ideas.

I'm getting a little bored of lettuce, zucchini and string beans.

Sorry, I missed this response.

I don’t eat starchy and carby veg. Pretty much everything else is fair game as long as I don’t find it bothers me. I don’t eat a huge amount of veg either, so I’m not worried it I eat carrot or tomato in small amounts.

Easier to say what I Don’t eat than what I do amount wise:

I don’t eat potatoes, beets, sweet potatoes,corn, or too much squash that isn’t zucchini. We just bought some canned pumpkin to make a savoury pumpkin bread with but I won’t eat too much of it that since I find baked things aren’t the greatest for me even if low carb. But for example I would eat a pumpkin pie type filling if it had no other ingredients that I would not eat in moderation. The last time I had butternut squash purée it just felt like dessert a bit too much. Even with no sugar.

I would eat moderate amounts Of higher carb veg like carrots, jicama or I guess even celery root Or rutabaga if I liked them. Like my Mud and just made a ‘poke’ bowl’ out of brisket chopped up with snow peas, bean sprouts, bok Choi, carrot, cabbage, garlic, ginger, five spice, sesame oil, green onions, braggs soy sauce.

We regularly make roasted tomato salad with pine nuts ( which is more of a condiment) and babaganouch with blackened eggplant and tehina. We like olive tapenade. I dont generally eat a tonne of vegetables overall, mostly on Shabbat or Shabbat leftovers. I Like veg more than I used to, but I don’t eat massive amounts of vegetables personally.

I’m sure some people would find what I do boring. These days, while I still delight in expertly prepared food ( mainly cooked by husband and son, since I’m busy with school) I am also just as happy to eat scrambled eggs. Food is fuel, not so much entertainment anymore.

amother

Seagreen

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 5:58 pm
Has anyone tried yacon? I just got the chips from Double Joy Select, because they claim they are lower glycemic index, though the label says 23 gms of carbs. Evidently truy bec I just checked & my sugar is 113!!!!

I just bought Japanese (white) yams, have to try them tomorrow & see if I can eat more than 1/2 a cup. I tried kabocha squash, & I think I did not do great with it. But my nutritionist says don't give up, try something twice, maybe a little less, maybe with a bit more oil,

I am trying to move away from food as soothing (or boredom relieving) rather than entertainment. But I do need a bit of variety.

andrea levy

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:01 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Has anyone tried yacon? I just got the chips from Double Joy Select, because they claim they are lower glycemic index, though the label says 23 gms of carbs. Evidently truy bec I just checked & my sugar is 113!!!!

I just bought Japanese (white) yams, have to try them tomorrow & see if I can eat more than 1/2 a cup. I tried kabocha squash, & I think I did not do great with it. But my nutritionist says don't give up, try something twice, maybe a little less, maybe with a bit more oil,

I am trying to move away from food as soothing (or boredom relieving) rather than entertainment. But I do need a bit of variety.

For me, the thirty or so vegetables I might have mentioned are more than enough. What range are you trying to keto your blood sugar in? Just curious. I don’t know American numbers...

andrea levy

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:02 pm
Also chips are a processed food that is often made wth bad oils. If you have the same amount of the cooked veg as the raw, you might have different response.

Last edited by andrea levy on Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Seagreen

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:24 pm
These chips have no oil!

I am aiming for under 140 two hours after a meal, but preferably lower.

If olives & avocodoes are fruits, are they only keto and low glycemic friendly because of the fat? Are there any fruits that are good in moderation?

andrea levy

Post  Sun, Oct 25 2020, 6:35 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
These chips have no oil!

I am aiming for under 140 two hours after a meal, but preferably lower.

If olives & avocodoes are fruits, are they only keto and low glycemic friendly because of the fat? Are there any fruits that are good in moderation?

When you dehydrate or roast any vegetable there will be more carbs by volume in them than when they are fresh and have higher water content. So if they were higher in carbs to begin with, they are even higher after dehydrating or roasting. Like cooked tomatoes are higher in sugar if measured the same way than fresh.

I don’t do ‘keto’ exactly. I’m not sure what you’re asking. What did your nutrition advisor suggest to you? If you are straight trying to keep your blood sugar low, stop eating starchy carbs. Grains, sugars, sweeteners and even fruit.

Avocado and olives are low in carbohydrates and high in fat. Cucumber is technically a fruit. Small amounts of berries are low in carbs. I don’t eat berries regularly because of the sugars.

Fats do not raise your blood sugar or create the same volume of insulin response as carbs. Being low fat is not a metric for low carb/keto because generally, if a processed food is lower in fat it will be higher in carbs.
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Recent Topics

Page 8 of 8 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise