Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How to lose weight and keep it off.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Cheshire cat

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:30 pm
Just read through the entire thread. I am so inspired!

Your weight loss/ health journey is EPIC!

May you go from strength to strength, Andrea!

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:17 am
Thank you so much! I’m seriously considering writing a book!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Dec 14 2019, 8:14 pm
I’m a bit overwhelmed by how my life has changed even further by adding about 30-45 minutes of exercise to my day, almost every day. Yes, it took me 2.5 years into my change of eating to start exercising. Exercise is a terrible way to lose weight, really. But I can’t believe how much I love it! I just want to add that I’m probably still 80 to 100 pounds overweight. This is a weight I’ve exercised at before. This isn’t cause I’m skinny that it’s so good.

I started with HIT ( high interval training) and then a couple of weeks ago started with step aerobics ( which I loved when I worked out 25 years ago.

I think that I mentioned a few weeks ago, I had a cardiac stress test and it blew me away how AMAZING I felt after going hard on the treadmill 4 over my max for 3 minutes until my hands got too sweaty to hold on.

That max heart rate was for just a few minutes but it was like a fire got lit inside me that day. I upped my game the next day and have been feeling completely exhilarated every day. I don’t max out my cardio every day. That’s neither beneficial nor intelligent but I am truly stunned by how this change has affected my life.

So, for those who want to chase the thrill of feeling so insanely invigorated- here’s how I decided to do what I’m doing. The takeaway for this is do what works for you:

I knew walking wasn’t going to work because it triggers my hip bursitis. My physiatrist told me to ‘see what hurt.’ Essentially to start somewhere and figure it all out as I went. So I did. And both HIT and step have been great.

I was also concerned about my diastasis recti. I am doing everything standing and using isometric ( versus typical) for my core as I exercise. No need to make that problem worse with crunches etc.

I knew that the whole ‘ordeal’ of going to a gym wasn’t going to work for me. The getting dressed/undressed/waiting to stop sweating to shower/ getting dried off/going home seemed overwhelming to me. I do you tube videos in my guest room for both HIT and step. And while I cool down or dry off after showering I can do other stuff. It’s the time I exercise plus about 15 minutes rather than two hours or whatever. I can handle it daily. It doesn’t overwhelm my day.

My focus has been initially getting my cardiovascular system into shape. One of the really shocking things about doing this has been the complete lack of exercise induced asthma. When I was half marathon ING, that dogged me like crazy. Now, not even a little bit. I’m so grateful. My instinct is to think it’s because I’m not eating anything that inflamed me. Who knows though?

Also the cool down time. I can’t believe how quickly I recover from even a sustained effort. Very different from the past.

I got to this point because I was concerned about doing weight bearing exercise. I guess I’m mainly working my legs and cardio at this point but already I am seeing the difference in my balance and can see that at some point, weights will also make sense for me. Nothing like avoiding sarcopenia and reducing fall risks, especially when my Center of gravity is constantly changing.

Through all of this, I am seeing such changes. My resting heart rate, the running up of about four flights of stairs tonight to get to a movie on time. I got into my seat and looked at my fit bit and my heart rate was barely raised. So many gains, so quickly. It’s sort of shocking!

I keep feeling like I’m not me. This is really so not me at all. I’m very motivated to continue and ultimately what I’m doing is working for me. I dont need a perfect body. I just need one that works for me.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 8:47 am
I hit a 100 pound loss today. I don’t usually focus on scale Victor but my gratitude is overflowing.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 10:51 am
agree with cheshire cat!
and with everything you have written andrea!
I would totally buy a book you write!

Please keep writing! Do it here, we can benefit, and then you can attach it all into a book Smile

it is extremely liberating and energy freeing to realize it is a chemical reaction and learn about the insulin piece -- takes much if not all of the emotional self sabotaging and false narrative attaching to the reality -- and opens a real doorway to success.

Much hatzlocha!

I love how you bring in Jason Fung and so much more and how you also emphasize to trust ourselves and see what works -- so true -- I totally hear what you write about nuts same story with me.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 12:41 pm
what do you mean when you say regarding the meat etc "sous vide" and then let it finish long time etc -- can you say exactly how you are cooking it? sounds great

also -- do you do stir fries? would stir fries work?

trying to put together a plan for myself

thanks so much!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 2:29 pm
Hey andrea. Thanks for sharing your journey. I just want to point out that your specific diet is working for you because of your specific issue with insulin.

This diet could be disastrous for people with certain hormonal issues, like me. I cannot tolerate any animal protein or dairy without having major hormonal reactions. I have a very similar journey than you and have reversed my diseases/got off my meds/maintained weight loss/gained energy and life perspective BUT I eat completley different than you. (Basically 80% veggies and fruits, 1/2 c whole grain, healthy oils/nuts/vegetarian proteins almost as a side dish). I do not eat processed food. I am not 100% off sugar but I found my tolerance level I can have without effects (for me it's about 3 pieces fruit a day, one homemade gluten free vegan cookie on shabbos).

So for the people reading, let's learn from Andrea's incredible strengh and dedication to get own body and life--but remember that we all have our own health challenges and biology so the details of her plan may be very different than what we need for healing. Learn most about how she is LISTENING to her body, not what her body said to HER.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 2:57 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Hey andrea. Thanks for sharing your journey. I just want to point out that your specific diet is working for you because of your specific issue with insulin.

This diet could be disastrous for people with hormonal issues, like me. I cannot tolerate any animal protein without having major hormonal reactions. I have a very similar journey than you and have reversed my diseases/got off my meds/maintained weight loss/gained energy and life perspective BUT I eat completley different than you. (Basically 80% veggies and fruits, 1/2 c whole grain, healthy oils/nuts/vegetarian proteins almost as a side dish).

So for the people reading, let's learn from Andrea's incredible strengh and dedication to get own body and life--but remember that we all have our own health challenges and biology so the details of her plan may be very different than what we need for healing. Learn most about how she is LISTENING to her body, not what her body said to HER.

I’m sorry to hear you have your own issues. I do Not really share what I do with others in a specific way. I do not sell anything. If you know what I do specifically, it’s because I’ve told you personally but not because I’m suggesting it to anyone.

In a nut shell? I don’t eat sugar, grains, starch, sugar, fruit or sweeteners of any description. Other people might eat berries, but I simply can’t. I don’t eat nuts either, or dairy really, it that’s a personal choice.

That does not mean I am endorsing it for other people. It’s what I have to do to live craving free. It’s what I want to do. And what I do has been reviewed by a number of dieticians and physicians. I’m the most extreme person with a food plan you know, most likely and under medical review no one is concerned about my nutrition or wellness.

I keep carbs to a minimum by eating non starchy vegetables, ( or not, as I wish.) I don’t suggest mounds of vegetables for most Woolf ( in general) because I don’t think it’s particularly productive. I Eat meat, fish, eggs, high fat dairy and good oils like olive, coconut or self rendered meat fats. I Don’t eat processed garbage. Ever. I think we can all agree that processed food is bad for everyone. I eat real food, all the time. Nutrient rich, nutrient dense food. Always.

Many many people have the issues I’ve spoken about and this is valid info for them to check into. Most of the American public is insulin resistant. Look around you. Insulin resistance is often visible.

Thousands of people have become Subclinical diabetics ( meaning that they are no longer being damaged by blood sugar) by doing what I do and what thousands ofothers have done. Just today I was in a store and a guy was telling the clerk how since he started he is no longer on insulin. With great blood sugar. Do you have any idea what a miracle that is?” This is not what we are told by our doctors ( well, mine knows but he’s world famous for knowing) if someone is type 2 and not doing everything possible to get their blood sugar managed metabolically instead of with drugs, their doctors have not told them everything.

I’m glad you’re doing what works for you. This is my journey. I am not espousing any plan, I share what I do. And I do it everyday. I would like to point out that insulin resistance, leptin resistance and other associated abnormalities are hormonal issues. They may be different than yours, but thinking you have hormone issues and I don’t is just not understanding what I have.

I am not telling anyone what to do, but if they are headed towards type 2 diabetes or have it or other metabolic disorders I can point people in the direction of doctors who support this for all sorts of issues. Not me. Doctors.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 3:08 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
agree with cheshire cat!
and with everything you have written andrea!
I would totally buy a book you write!

Please keep writing! Do it here, we can benefit, and then you can attach it all into a book Smile

it is extremely liberating and energy freeing to realize it is a chemical reaction and learn about the insulin piece -- takes much if not all of the emotional self sabotaging and false narrative attaching to the reality -- and opens a real doorway to success.

Much hatzlocha!

I love how you bring in Jason Fung and so much more and how you also emphasize to trust ourselves and see what works -- so true -- I totally hear what you write about nuts same story with me.

That insulin thing was SUCH a revelation for me. It is probably the single thing that contributed most to my mental recovery from a lifetime of compulsive eating.

Jason Fung is literally the only doctor I’ve ever met who is doggedly working towards having zero patients damaged by type 2 diabetes. Except maybe dr. Bernstein, except type 1 affects way fewer people. Still, it’s massive, what he has done. It’s funny how normal he is in his office. Just like any other nephrologist.

I’m seeing Jason on Wednesday. I’ll say hi! Lol!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 3:19 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
what do you mean when you say regarding the meat etc "sous vide" and then let it finish long time etc -- can you say exactly how you are cooking it? sounds great

also -- do you do stir fries? would stir fries work?

trying to put together a plan for myself

thanks so much!

Sous-vide is cooking meat with an immersion circulator. The meat never cooks hotter than the water surrounding it so it cooks exactly as you want it to be. We finish it in the oven with seasoning. There’s a lot of different ways to do this process, but you can google SOUS-vide. It’s not really duet related just preference.

I do stir fry on occasion. Mostly when I have stuff to use up or make egg roll in a bowl. I dont really eat that much vegetation but I like stir fry well enough. I go easy on the dot and also use a small amount of sesame oil. I fry in olive oil because it’s liquid at room temp. I’m not really a great recipe person tho, since I mostly don’t use them. I’m of the opinion that plenty of garlic and even note ginger make everything taste good.

I don’t really have a plan, per se. I cook for Shabbat and we eat leftovers all week. Or eggs. We cook tasty but simple food and don’t complicate things by saying how much or when to eat.

When one is not eating food that raises blood sugar and thus creates insulin resistance, over time, one gets better at receiving signals from our bodies that tell us we’ve had enough. I now, eat to satiety. If I’m not sure, I wait a half hour. And then I do t eat again until I’m hungry. At least most days. Shabbat is a bit different of course. Some days I eat more, some less. If you want a basic overview, pm me your email and I’ll send you a PDF that explains it in short. Your mileage may vary. So get to a place of stability and then do what works for you.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 3:48 pm
andrea levy wrote:

I am not telling anyone what to do, but if they are headed towards type 2 diabetes or have it or other metabolic disorders I can point people in the direction of doctors who support this for all sorts of issues. Not me. Doctors.

I hear you. But animal protein has it's own issues--cholesterol, saturated fat, antibiotics, and hormones in it, diseases in the dead animal etc. (I know there are versions that are kosher organic free range and antibiotic free options--at least for chicken--but it costs more and is hard to find.)

I'm happy you found what works for you right now, but many people are hurt, not healed by this type of animal protein type diet.

Vegetables are teeming with fiber, vitamins, minerals, probiotics, prebiotics, and antioxidants, things that are proven to reverse disease. As the year go by, scientists find more and more benefits to specific types of produce, but all of them promote health. Varied vegetables MUST be part of a healthy diet.

Eating beans regularly are also one of the 9 habits of the people that live the longest, healthiest lives in the world (blue zones).

Again, reversing diabetes and curing your lifelong cravings and weight issues is a MASSIVE accomplishment. I am not deminishing that one bit.

And just like you can point to doctors and dietitians that can prove your approach, so can I to mine, and so can many other people with their approaches. The point is there is no one right way and respecting our own biology and watching how our body responds must be the cornerstone of any healing.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:41 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I hear you. But animal protein has it's own issues--cholesterol, saturated fat, antibiotics, and hormones in it, diseases in the dead animal etc. (I know there are versions that are kosher organic free range and antibiotic free options--at least for chicken--but it costs more and is hard to find.)

I'm happy you found what works for you right now, but many people are hurt, not healed by this type of animal protein type diet.

Vegetables are teeming with fiber, vitamins, minerals, probiotics, prebiotics, and antioxidants, things that are proven to reverse disease. As the year go by, scientists find more and more benefits to specific types of produce, but all of them promote health. Varied vegetables MUST be part of a healthy diet.

Eating beans regularly are also one of the 9 habits of the people that live the longest, healthiest lives in the world (blue zones).

Again, reversing diabetes and curing your lifelong cravings and weight issues is a MASSIVE accomplishment. I am not deminishing that one bit.

And just like you can point to doctors and dietitians that can prove your approach, so can I to mine, and so can many other people with their approaches. The point is there is no one right way and respecting our own biology and watching how our body responds must be the cornerstone of any healing.

Appreciate your support but as long as you’re going there, I’d like to point out that the medical establishment has knowN since the 70s that cholesterol was not the problem, and in fact inflammation was. What are the inflammatory foods overall? I don’t need to answer that here, because I bet you already know.

Oxalates? Pesticides? Collateral killing in farming? The fact that grass fed animals that are killed and sold locally have a much smaller carbon imprint than farming fields does? Ok, so you have a vegan agenda, but I have VEGAN low carb friends who eat just like me, macro wise, without the processed foods and grains.

Also, let me just tell you that something like 75% of the people who do low carb have utterly normal bloodwork once they’ve been on for a while. Including cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol has zero impact on cholesterol levels. In fact, our livers produce it to save our lives and heal our bodies. When ones cholesterol is too low, one is highly more likely to die of a cardiac incident.

Those of us who dont have perfection in cholesterol often have perfect CAC scores ( I don’t know mine/ we don’t have them in Canada.)

Further, regarding mass quantities of vegetables, you’re just wrong. Google carnivore. See how insanely healthy people are. People who eat meat and salt. I am not completely carnivore. But there are many people who are. Lean, now healthy people. People with autoimmune diseases, graves, hashimotos, ibs, ulcerative colitis, Cancers (there’s a carnivore guy with glioblastoma ( always fatal) who recently celebrated five years of healthy living after his docs gave up on him) neurological disorders... many heal when some people stop eating mass quantities of vegetation. Yes, some people do well as vegans, but not most of us.

Carbs, whether in vegetation or not are not required. Protein and fats are. Our bodies can produce what carbs we need via gluconeogenesis as long as we have amino acids in our bodies. What’s the best source of those? Meat.

My dieticians have been through my food more than once. You know what I’m missing? Nothing. No scurvy, no vowel problems. I take D3 because Canadian. Other than that? Nothing. They say I’m all good. Just like the Inuit were eating blubber and animal guts before we ruined their lives and health by introducing them to processed food.

Maybe a little less healthy because I do eat vegetables. I had avocado for dinner tonight, for example.

So we will have to agree to disagree. I am extremely well read and supported by medical people who know what they are talking about. My medical people have done the research and bring only human studies to bear out their points.

I have friends with serious disorders who are curing themselves ( even after medical treatment has failed) with low carb eating. Vegan and carnivore ( it’s harder for the vegan ones because plants are not as nutritious as animal proteins) are successfully fixing themselves.

I certainly appreciate your support and also that you have found what works for you, but if you’re going to make egregious errors in addressing how I eat, I’m going to bring rebuke where appropriate. I’m all about people doing what works for them but not At all about making blanket statements you can’t back up with science. I’ll be happy to give you a reading list.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 10:43 am
Updated photos of some clothing I’ve had in my closet waiting until they fit. Also, this was the first Shabbat I stayed well under 215. Now that’s 100+#

https://I.imgur.com/g1YG3Vp.jpg

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 10:43 am
https://I.imgur.com/Cwp2S3H.jpg

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 10:44 am
https://I.imgur.com/ikUG0JO.jpg

I’ll probably never get to wear this outside because it’s too small in the chest and bigger in other places, but it’s an improvement

flmommy

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:46 pm
andrea levy wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/ikUG0JO.jpg

I’ll probably never get to wear this outside because it’s too small in the chest and bigger in other places, but it’s an improvement

You look fantastic!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 6:00 pm
flmommy wrote:
You look fantastic!

Thank you so much! My gratitude is overflowing!!!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 9:31 am
First, let me say I hope all are well. This is a bizarre time. Life is changing, the situation is fluid. I work at home and work out at home. My adult children have come home to roost together. We are working out how to live as 4 adults. I’m
Grateful the three of us who are working, can work remotely.

So this is a little weird. Not changing anything with my food or really my exercise. I’m losing weight again. I thought for sure the stress of this situation would create more cortisol and it might signal the beginning of a rebound. To some extent, rebounds are considered expected, even when one continues doing what they are doing because of homeostasis. Our bodies don’t like change. My two goals are now and have always been 1) stabilizing blood sugar and not eating anything that would destabilize and 2) not regaining weight.

In my NSNG group, I keep hearing stories told of those who just keep going. They stop calling it a ‘stall’ or a ‘plateau’ and just continue living in a way that works for them. Then, suddenly “”WHOOSH.”

This doesn’t apply to people who are new to weight loss. It applies to people who don’t get smaller or have measurable body changes over a prolonged period of time. Even if they are doing the ‘right’ things.

Vinnie Tortorich of NSNG would say 3 months if no change and then weight regain to officially call it a plateau.

Since my initial 80 pounds, lost in the first ten months, my weight loss is very slow. My waist size stays around the same ( although my lower belly and plenty of other parts get smaller.) since March 8 of 2018 I’ve solidly maintained the first 70 pounds of loss and lost another 36 over the next two years. So about 106 pounds lost.

I’m still probably 80 pounds overweight for my height. I’m now class two obese instead of class three. Still obese though and with a long way to go until I’m not. But oh, have I grown otherwise!

What’s amazing is as I go through anniversaries ( like NSV POSTING) and I see what I was thinking a year ago, I can’t fail to be amazed by how different my life continues to be.

Recently, my anniversary for ‘realizing I don’t feel ungainly’ passed. A year after not feeling ungainly, I realize that not only do I not feel ungainly, I’m active, with good balance and the ability to get off the floor even when exhausted by a workout. Perhaps not prettily, but certainly I can do it. Not so long ago, this was SO difficult. I wasn’t particularly a falls risk, but it is a good thing that I wasnt because it was so hard to get up.

Progress happens for me when I keep putting one foot in front of the other. I don’t vary my boundaries about what I eat, ever, which gives me the freedom to continue growing and developing. For me, it’s a LOT EASIER TO STAY ON TRACK, then to get back on track.

This is a really good explanation of plateaus. I believe that what he is saying is true. Also that what Dr. Jason Fung says about keeping your body guessing is true. dr. Gerber day regain is inevitable. No matter what way if eating you follow. I’ve seen my body fight back and because of my very strong boundaries, somehow I seem to be beating the odds.

Right now, appears that for now, my body is comfortable with not trying to make me get back to my last weight and is letting more go.

I’m pretty sure that the major factor in helping me maintain is 1) keeping my body guessing and 2) the fact that I’m
Starting to understand the hormonal messages I get from my body. This means that if I can recognize my body pushing me towards homeostasis, I can avoid eating inappropriately in response.

So much learning. So much opportunity. So much gratitude.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Sun, Mar 22 2020, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 9:58 am
https://I.imgur.com/XUhwQOQ.jpg

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 4:30 pm
NSV - Used a bike lane for cycling. Also my baseline for fitness commitment is so much better.

Here we are on Day Whatever of really being at home as much as possible.

After 4 months of working out at home, I have started venturing outside for exercise whenever possible. One day last week, I alternated jogging and walking.

Another day, I walked in a physically distant social way with an older and isolated neighbour ( who lives across the street from me) and then went for a bike ride. It was the first time in thirty years I’d ridden a bike and even though I can still do it, it’s certainly not with the finesse that I did it in my high school bike club. Still, I did it. And the victory is sweet when I remember that before this week, there was a time in my adult life that I tried to get on a bike and just simply could not fit. My stomach was so large that I wasn’t able to even sit on the seat, let alone get my legs going.

Today, after a morning of rain, the sun came out and I walked to the bike rental place ( with my disinfectant wipes in hand) and cleaned off two bikes before realizing they weren’t working. Then, I walked over to the next bike rental place a few blocks away and cleaned off a third before realizing that the bike wasn’t working.

The fourth bike was working and I managed to get it unlocked, cleaned off and riding. Only to realize that the seat was soaking wet after sitting on it, no doubt owing to the massive rain fall earlier today.

I sucked that up, because even though I had ‘Just go home’ in my head, I hadn’t gotten that far to give up.

It was only THEN that I realized that the wind had picked up insanely. Like leading up to the gusts that will be 90km/hour later today.

I thought “Whatever. I can always lock the bike in place and walk home or get Marc to come get me.” And kept going.

At some point, I realized that I was not confident in traffic, even on the Rail
Trail, and thought about going over to a quiet street where both of my kids first learned to operate a vehicle. That was a good choice because no traffic.

I got a bit more confident with gear shifting and steering ( still not great at it) but I was also surprised at my ability to actually ride.

I kept pushing myself. I thought I might stay out for the full 90 minutes that are allowed daily with the monthly rental amount but in the end, I locked the bike back up at about 55 minutes. Meaning I rode for about fifty.

I kept thinking over and over again about how unlikely it was for me to be at every stage of this afternoon’s activities. I was so excited about biking and then had to go through four bikes to get going! At every stage of this, I thought about stopping and walking home. I passed four different bike hubs where I could have left the bike. Each time I thought about giving up and didn’t.

It’s not unlike the whole food thing. After a lifetime of failure, I learned to persist. I’m learning to do new things with my body. To get out of my comfort zone. And yet the JOY that comes with that persistence can’t be compared. Whatever I gave up, I got so much more in return!

Back to the ride, All the while, I’m cold and wet and the weather was changing from sunny to grey and getting windier. The lock was making a crazy amount of noise. The wind was like a freight train in my ears and still, such JOY at the freedom I am getting with each time I try something new physically.

For so long I’ve had such fear. About falling. About failing. About not being able to get up. About breaking something. The first couple of months working out, I’d never have considered ‘popping’ in my step aerobics or ‘jogging’ or getting on a bike. Or getting my heart rate up high without wondering if I was going to drop dead.

And yet this month, I’ve managed to ‘pop,’ jog and bike! This month I’ve persisted through difficult circumstances both with food and exercise. Yet, this month I’ve realized that I am a much reduced ‘falls’ risk. My balance and strength have improved massively. I’m not nuts about floor exercises, but I do them and can get up easily.

And today my ride was over six miles. In adverse conditions.

I cannot tell you enough how grateful I am.

https://I.imgur.com/SWKoVjV.jpg

https://I.imgur.com/cCFqa36.jpg

https://I.imgur.com/Aj8CXh8.jpg

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Sun, Mar 29 2020, 4:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Page 5 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise